Fred

Default TV giving bad reception

Using rabbit ears works fine around here, but recently channels 2-5 are too
snowy to watch, channel 7 is sometimes OK, and channels 8-88 are fine. All
stations have transmitters on the same mountain, so I'm thinking the problem
is with either TV or antenna. I have moved the antenna all over the room
and get some slight improvement but not much.

Anyone seen this before and know a cause of it? (I have also put a
different rabbit ears antenna on the TV and same results.)

Thanks in advance.

Fred

try an an aerial with built in gain amplifier (ideally with a varialble
dB control). try with another tv to be sure yours doesn't have a bad
tuner

NSM

"Fred" wrote in message
| Using rabbit ears works fine around here, but recently channels 2-5 are
too
| snowy to watch, channel 7 is sometimes OK, and channels 8-88 are fine.
All
| stations have transmitters on the same mountain, so I'm thinking the
problem
| is with either TV or antenna. I have moved the antenna all over the room
| and get some slight improvement but not much.
|
| Anyone seen this before and know a cause of it? (I have also put a
| different rabbit ears antenna on the TV and same results.)

Yes. Someone parked a truck in front of the signal. Sometimes I've seen
where you were picking up a good solid ghost and something has moved. Also,
has the weather changed recently?

Fred

Thanks, Rev. Will give it a try.

wrote in message
oups.com...
try an an aerial with built in gain amplifier (ideally with a varialble
dB control). try with another tv to be sure yours doesn't have a bad
tuner

Fred

Weather doesn't have an effect, but will look at the truck situation here!
Thanks.

"NSM" wrote in message news:t2IBd.42969$KO5.432@clgrps13...

"Fred" wrote in message
| Using rabbit ears works fine around here, but recently channels 2-5 are
too
| snowy to watch, channel 7 is sometimes OK, and channels 8-88 are fine.
All
| stations have transmitters on the same mountain, so I'm thinking the
problem
| is with either TV or antenna. I have moved the antenna all over the

room
| and get some slight improvement but not much.
|
| Anyone seen this before and know a cause of it? (I have also put a
| different rabbit ears antenna on the TV and same results.)

Yes. Someone parked a truck in front of the signal. Sometimes I've seen
where you were picking up a good solid ghost and something has moved.

Also,
has the weather changed recently?

Asimov

"Fred" bravely wrote to "All" (01 Jan 05 18:53:03)
--- on the heady topic of "TV giving bad reception"

Fr From: "Fred"
Fr Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:5514

Fr Using rabbit ears works fine around here, but recently channels 2-5
Fr are too snowy to watch, channel 7 is sometimes OK, and channels 8-88
Fr are fine. All stations have transmitters on the same mountain, so I'm
Fr thinking the problem is with either TV or antenna. I have moved the
Fr antenna all over the room and get some slight improvement but not much.

Fr Anyone seen this before and know a cause of it? (I have also put a
Fr different rabbit ears antenna on the TV and same results.)

Fr Thanks in advance.

Fred,

Try adding a high pass filter to the antenna that cutsoff sharply
below 50-54MHz (ch-2). Seems a lot of devices' SMPS's these days
generate lots of hash into the powerlines that gets radiated and is
easily seen in DX reception.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Reactance: your imaginary friend.

NSM

"Fred" wrote in message
| Weather doesn't have an effect, but will look at the truck situation here!
| Thanks.

You may have been picking up a signal from a building that has been
demolished. Weird stuff happens! Also, the station may have lost a repeater.

NSM

"Jamie" wrote in message

| sounds like his tuner.
| the low band is screwed up.
| maybe preamp etc.

Best to make sure the signal is good first. If it ain't broke ....

Fred

Thanks, guys.