Charlie Bress

Default In search of a belt- Sony Walkman

This may be hopeless, but I have got to ask anyway.

I have an old Sony Walkman -AM/FM/cassette- Model WMAF62.
The capstan belt has died a natural death- no more real elasticity left,
it is just a limp little thing. (The belt that is)
Don't tell me to junk the Walkman I already know that is a strong
possibility.

Amazingly there are disassembly instructions inside the case.
I have extricated the belt. But no source can be found.

I Googled away but only found one potential source at
www.partsolver.com/.

They report that the belt is not in stock and is not available from Sony.

Are there any other potential sources out there that might have some old
stock they want to part with?

Thanks

Charlie

William R. Walsh

Hi!

There are a few ways to work at solving this problem. But before we get too
far, may I suggest a look at the FAQ for this group. You can find it at

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
(and my two mirrors...)
http://greyghost.dyndns.org/repairfaq &
http://www.walshcomptech.com/repairfaq/

There is information there about replacing belts.

That said, you might be able to use a rubber band (though the audio quality
may suffer somewhat) or find a generic belt for sale from an electronics
distributor. If you are lucky and have some dead equipment that might
contain a belt or two, you may also find one there.

There is still a lot to try before giving up all hope...

William

gnk

MCM electronics has a belt kir for Walkmans. Check out the following

If that link does not work go to www.mcminone.com and search for part #
42-990

Good luck.

GNK