Marty

Default adding jacks to tv/vcr combo

Hi all,

I have a Symphonic 9 inch tv/vcr combo that we use in the van. I would
like to add the ability to connect a dvd player without going through
the vcr video circuit. My idea is to cut the video feed line from the
vcr to the monitor and wire in two composite jacks mounted on the back
of the unit. One jack would to the monitor. The other jack would come
from the vcr. To watch a dvd, I would connect a composite cable from
the dvd player to the jack going to the monitor. To watch a vhs tape, I
would just connect a composite cable to the two jacks. The sound I can
get from the dvd or from the tv/vcr via headphones.

I haven't opened the case yet. Does this solution sound feasible? Do
these units typically come with a composite cable connection between
the vcr and the monitor inside the case or is it all on a circuit
board? I am also making the assumption that if there is a composite
cable connection that it only serves the purpose of carrying a video
signal from the vcr to the monitor. Is this a reasonable assumption?
Thanks,

Marty

Marty

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a "recent" tv/vcr combo, bought in
1998, I think. I had a feeling it might be more complicated than I was
thinking. I did already try the front jacks and the rf jack in the back
and the macrovision made it unwatchable. I also tried an rf converter
from radioshack with better but still pretty bad results. We still have
movies in both dvd and vhs format and a compact dvd player so I was
hoping to be able to use both. Are there boxes available than can clean
the macrovision signal for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Marty
LASERandDVDfan wrote:
I have a Symphonic 9 inch tv/vcr combo that we use in the van. I

would
like to add the ability to connect a dvd player without going

through
the vcr video circuit.

I don't think what you propose is feasible on your TV/VCR, especially

if it's a
newer unit. It would most likely involve extensive circuit

modification, if
what you propose can be done at all without causing the thing not to

operate
properly.

This assumes a TV/VCR combo that was made recently from the late

1990s to
present.

The feed line is likely integrated on the main PC board as opposed to

being a
wire. You'd likely need a schematic to even know where to go to on

the board.
The main PC board contains all elements for the operation of the TV

and VCR,
save for the high voltage parts designed to drive the picture tube

and
deflection yoke which may be located on the upper side of the

enclosure.

Also, a lot of the parts are integrated in such a way that a

modification could
cause unpredictable and undesirable behavior.

Have you tried to use a DVD player on the TV/VCR combo through the

front inputs
to see what would happen?

It won't cause any damage to either component when you test, that

much I know
for sure.

If the video comes out fine, then you can just use the player with

the TV/VCR
with no problems. If it does react to MacroVision, it would be

better, not to
mention safer, to simply replace the TV/VCR combo with a TV/DVD

combo. -
Reinhart

Mike Kennedy

you could get a macrovision remover. they sell them on the internet just
google it. I think i saw some for something like $30 on one site. They also
sell them at best buy for about +/- $65.

- Mike

oups.com...

LASERandDVDfan wrote:
[...]

LASERandDVDfan

Are there boxes available than can clean
the macrovision signal for a reasonable price?

Yes, and another poster here has just mentioned where.

Mike Kennedy, the other poster, suggests doing a google search for a
"macrovision remover." You may find a vendor website that sells such a device.
- Reinhart
NSM

"Mike Kennedy" wrote in message
nk.net...
| you could get a macrovision remover. they sell them on the internet just
| google it. I think i saw some for something like $30 on one site. They
also
| sell them at best buy for about +/- $65.
|
| - Mike

CAN$40 at London Drugs in Canada. Or build your own (search for Antti
Paarlahti ).