DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   One, Or The Other? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/82327-one-other.html)

Ron Hubbard December 19th 04 11:14 PM

One, Or The Other?

I was thinking of buying a DVD/VCR player and is wondering if that's
really more desirable than having
individual units. Opinions, anyone?

Ron

NSM December 19th 04 11:40 PM

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
| I was thinking of buying a DVD/VCR player and is wondering if that's
| really more desirable than having individual units. Opinions, anyone?

The VCR will probably die first. Then what do you have? Combination units
are a nightmare.

[email protected] December 20th 04 12:02 AM

NSM wrote:
"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
| I was thinking of buying a DVD/VCR player and is wondering if that's
| really more desirable than having individual units. Opinions, anyone?
The VCR will probably die first. Then what do you have? Combination units
are a nightmare.

Or the power supply dies and takes some expensive microcontrollers with
it, rendering the whole machine useless...

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

James Sweet December 20th 04 03:33 AM

wrote in message
NSM wrote:
"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
| I was thinking of buying a DVD/VCR player and is wondering if that's
| really more desirable than having individual units. Opinions, anyone?
The VCR will probably die first. Then what do you have? Combination

units
are a nightmare.

Or the power supply dies and takes some expensive microcontrollers with
it, rendering the whole machine useless...

In my experience any one piece fails regularly and renders the whole unit
useless since they often shut down when one or the other part doesn't
initialize properly. No shop is likely to even be willing to look at them,
my advice (as well as any other tech-type person) will be to avoid these
things like the plague, a "good" one just simply isn't made.

Jerry G. December 20th 04 03:50 AM

From our experience a combined machine is not a good option. They can be
troublesome. If one section goes bad, you can loose the whole machine. Also,
you pay more for one of these, and you can end up scrapping the equivalent
of two machines if it breaks down, and it is not worth to service any more.

--

Jerry G.
=====

AshTray700 December 20th 04 04:01 PM

my advice, find a 1980 sears vcr (the grey one with the wired remote lol)
and re-belt and clean it (it will last forever) and by the dirt cheap apex
dvd player, they work pretty good actually, (no dvd player will last that
long) i wouldnt go any cheaper than apex though. however if the combo
drive only cost $20 to add a vcr to it, hell go for it just consider it
disposable:)

[email protected] December 21st 04 01:35 PM

Please avoid Combos (DVD/VCR) (TV/VCR) (CD player/Cassette player) at
all cost.

Buy two separate units .It is much safer that way!

Jacques