JURB6006

Default 97 Blazer 4X4 (4.3L Vortec)

Hi;

Thanks again for the help regarding the transmission. Your replies helped us
prevent the tranny guy from sucking about $1000 out of our pocket. Turned out
to be the 3-2 shift "assembly" whatever that exactly means.

Anyway, now it won't start. Cranks fine and has spark but no fuel. There are
three relays I can see under the hood. Does anyone know which one is the fuel
pump relay ?, or if it is in an alternate location ? None of these three click
when the ign is turned on. I've been looking around the web just for a simple
pictorial of the underhood components and can't seem to find one after an hour
of Googling.

I'm leaning away from the pump itself because there were absolutely no problems
with engine performance, it ran like a raped ape. It kept it up after a long
run too, after the tranny was fixed of course.

From what I've been reading I'll need to find the ECM2 fuse and said relay to
troubleshoot this. Even the location of the fuel pump test terminal would help.
I considered even testing at the oil pressure sending unit, but I'm pretty sure
that'll be hard to do, this thing is pretty cramped.

From what I've gleaned from the web it could even be the ignition switch,
something I'll not rule out yet because this was a shut it off and no restart
situation. Had to get a tow.

Anyway, I am familiar with how the modern fuel system works so I don't need a
tutorial on it, what I need is specific info. I realize the relay I seek could
be under the dash, in the glove box or who knows, in these newer cars it could
be in the frickin steering column (a little joke).

Actually I was wondering if there is indeed a better forum for such questions.
I've kicked around in some other groups that seem related to this type of
question, but none seem to be so fast moving or responsive as SER. In fact I
don't seem to see a NG with participants with the depth and breadth of
knowledge expressed here. I actually Googled "groups" and couldn't find what I
need. I even Googled "images" and got nothing, just a picture with pointers,
like that in a Haynes book would do the trick. Not to be found.

Thanks in advance.

JURB
LASERandDVDfan

Anyway, now it won't start. Cranks fine and has spark but no fuel. There are
three relays I can see under the hood. Does anyone know which one is the fuel
pump relay ?

Does the vehicle have an inertial switch around the vicinity of the fuel pump?

Don't know about GM, but plenty of Ford vehicles have an intertial circuit
breaker which, when tripped, cuts off the power to the fuel pump. This is
supposed to keep fuel from pumping when there is a leak in the system caused by
a vehicle crash, but these breakers can trip if you hit a bump hard enough and
so on.

Also, check the ECU (or ECM) and see if the wiring harness connection is good
and tight. Sometimes, an intermittent connection can cause problems.

Another would be to have the vehicle scanned for codes to see if the computer
is detecting a problem.

And, you could even try to see if the suspect relay is at fault. See if repair
is possible. If not sure, replace it.

I remember when my friend who has a Honda Civic was trying to figure out why
his relay module for the fuel pump was not triggering and moving the fuel. He
was contemplating replacing the relay module, which would've fixed the problem.

However, I discovered that his bad relay module had a few distinct cold solder
joints in the circuit. Reflowed the joints with new solder and the relay was
as good as new. While replacing the module would've work, it was much cheaper
to repair the old module. And, considering that I was friends with this guy,
he didn't have to pay anything except a couple of beers for a job well done.

I'm leaning away from the pump itself because there were absolutely no
problems
with engine performance, it ran like a raped ape. It kept it up after a long
run too, after the tranny was fixed of course.

You never know. It could very well be the fuel pump. However, it is good
practice to check the simple stuff first when troubleshooting, as well as
having good deduction and process of elimination.

One thing that may help is to obtain some service book for the truck, like a
Haynes or, even better, a Chilton's. Or, and I recommend this, find and buy a
copy of the Goodwrench factory service manual for your particular vehicle. The
Haynes and Chilton's books should be available at your auto parts store. The
Goodwrench service literature might be available for order from General Motors
at your Chevrolet (Blazer model), GMC (Jimmy model), or Oldsmobile (Bravada
model) dealerships or Goodwrench parts and service departments (doubtful, but
it's worth a try) or you can try to see if any are up for bids on eBay. -
Reinhart
sphipps

Hate to say this since it isn't cheap, but a good GM dealership or
diagnostic shop that specializes in domestic vehicles could probably find
the exact problem in a few minutes. The time and expense you'd need to put
into it testing individual parts may make their services well worth the
cost.

"JURB6006" wrote in message

Anyway, I am familiar with how the modern fuel system works so I don't
need a
tutorial on it, what I need is specific info.

Bob Urz

JURB6006 wrote:

[...]

From what I've been reading I'll need to find the ECM2 fuse and said relay to
troubleshoot this. Even the location of the fuel pump test terminal would help.
I considered even testing at the oil pressure sending unit, but I'm pretty sure
that'll be hard to do, this thing is pretty cramped.

From what I've gleaned from the web it could even be the ignition switch,
[...]

How do you know it does not have any fuel? Did you measure the fuel
pressure at the injector rail? I will look at my manuals on monday.
But some GM's will cut the fuel relay if the oil pressure does not come
up. The relays are usually mounted on the firewall inside the engine bay
on the passenger side. Look for a plastic cover. How did you check the
spark? timing light? DO you have a distributor or coil pack?

Bob

Jeff

Listen down the fuel filler neck (use a hose to your ear if you have to) and
have someone turn on the key or try to start it. You will be able to hear the
electric fuel pump module inside the tank activate for about 2 seconds and shut
off.

I have run into problems with the connector to the fuel pump module (on top of
the tank) causing intermittant no start/no fuel on late 90's GM trucks. The
fuel pump assemblies are expensive on those things!

Good Luck,
Jeff

Anyway, now it won't start. Cranks fine and has spark but no fuel. There are
three relays I can see under the hood. Does anyone know which one is the fuel
pump relay ?, or if it is in an alternate location ? None of these three click

Brian Boorman

On the 97 Blazer & Jimmy, the fuel pump relay is inside the glove box
behind a cover on the upper-left corner. On my 97 Jimmy, there are
three relays. The left-most is the fuel-pump relay and the right-most
is the daytime running lights relay. Not sure what the third one is.

I am sure by now (two months later) you have figured this out, but
since I had the same difficulty, now it is here for others to find.

I am now getting ready to drop the tank to figure out if there is juice
to the pump itself. $300 for a pump - ouch!

-Brian

JURB6006 wrote:
[...]

From what I've been reading I'll need to find the ECM2 fuse and said

relay to
troubleshoot this. Even the location of the fuel pump test terminal

would help.
I considered even testing at the oil pressure sending unit, but I'm

pretty sure
that'll be hard to do, this thing is pretty cramped.

From what I've gleaned from the web it could even be the ignition

switch,
[...]

Bob Kos

You need to run an accurate fuel pressure test on these vehicles. They need
around 60PSI to start. If it's not there, they refuse to fire. Fuel pump
failure is COMMON.

If you're creative, you can substitute a $80 Delco EP381 into the module.

ups.com...

JURB6006 wrote:
[...]

From what I've been reading I'll need to find the ECM2 fuse and said

relay to
troubleshoot this. Even the location of the fuel pump test terminal

would help.
I considered even testing at the oil pressure sending unit, but I'm

pretty sure
that'll be hard to do, this thing is pretty cramped.

From what I've gleaned from the web it could even be the ignition

switch,