Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
mndflmr

Default Question about static shock protection of audio/video inputs

Hi all,
I have a Philips TV/VCR combo that was recently damaged when I
attempted to hook up a VCR to the RCA input jacks. A static spark on
the video input damaged the IC that deals with the color component of
the video signal. I managed to replace the IC, restoring color to the
VCR portion of the TV (the off-air signal was not affected). This
repair also restored the video input capability, which had been lost.
Now for my question: What can I do to protect the audio/video inputs
against static discharge? Would it be as simple as adding some
component to the + inputs, such as a capacitor or a resistor or
something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It was no fun
replacing the 100-pin surface mounted IC and I hope to avoid having to
do it again!
Joe