JURB6006

Default Mad Dog CD burner

Hi;

I'll take suggextions, but if this problem isn't resolved I'll start shouting
from the treetops not to buy their crap.I'm sick of these friggin companies,
they require registration before they'll send you drivers. Whatever idiot put
their "stripped" Nero CD together did fine with the front end, but that's all
that's there. I checked the directory of the CD to find this out. Now these
friggin idiots are only giving you Nero lite, not the full blown version and
I'd suspect it'll only work with their drive. I have no problem with that, but
make me register ? Look it has not yet worked correctly dammit, when it does OK
I'll register. I'd have taken it back but due to rebates the box is gone.
What's more it's been sitting around for a few months.This is ridculous.

I've got EZCD 5 plat. w/ the 2002 update but this drive was built in 2003.
It'll burn a CDRW fine with the set speed, however on a fast CDR blank it
screws up. It just stops after about ¼ of the disk. There are probably
parameters I can set to stop this, like telling it not to go beyong 30X or
something, but I'd rather not.Last time I checked, NOW roxio doesn't seem to
want you to DL the file it wants to install on the fly. (I think) I need the
file because the burner is not going in the PC on the DSL, this file last ime
was about 20 MB. I got EZCD+DVD 6 but that PC doesn't meet the system
requirements.

Friggin ****es me off, this is too much like being at work.Lemme tellya, REALLY
like being at work ! I decided OK I'd put a NIC in it, and a secondary nic in
my PC on the DSL and get it that way. Of course this PC won't recognize it, of
course

Just like work, can't do it this way, can't do that because of
__________________ (insert problem with swear words). I'll get the problem
solved but, looking at it another way, it reads as an Artec WRR-52Z in control
panel. What are my odds of maybe using that driver ? Now let me put it this
way, if Plextor were to make a drive for rebranding, they might just ship it
with different firmware. Artec on the other hand is not a super high end
company, would they do the same or not bother ?

Now for the last vestige of "can't do it this way", the drive was purchased at
more of a general store, sort of like a K mart, it's called Big Lots. They are
not a computer store. More like a deep discount store, and now maybe I know why
these drives are there, maybe there were enough returns that they just shipped
them all back. Then in comes the guy from Big Lots. . . . . . . . . Of course
the people who sold them to Big Lots might not even be aware of the problem.
Ain't big business great ?

Any help is appreciated, but if you just want to join the rant that's cool.
Maybe we people who fix things should start a site with these problems with
companies. Make it public. Include our opinions as well, along with truthful
observations about our experiences relating to the design, support and
servicability of these goods. Include TVs and other brownwares, PC components
and whatever that has electronics.

We would have to be careful, putdowns must be confirmed so we don't have to
worry about libel suits, and praise should be administered carefully in the
beginning of the product life cycle. Yaknow, we could become the new Consumer
Reports, but with alot more accuracy. Consumer Reports may or may not take the
opinions of ASCs when they write articles, but they surely don't ask non-ASCs.
This is where this comes in, not only are non-ASCs able to provide input, but
individual servicers as well whether they work for an independent or ASC. Even
input fro ASCs would be skewed, or they wouldn't want to participate lest they
**** off the manufacturer. Any input from the company wouldn't mean much, it
would come from management.

Just an idea.

Anyway, it's time to get my mind off this, I'm going to open a beer and burn
one, it's Friday night. No more thinking for now (well maybe a little)

JURB
Harvey

"JURB6006" wrote in message
Hi;

I'll take suggextions,

[snip]

How about getting to the point in less than 12 paragraphs?

LASERandDVDfan

I'll take suggextions, but if this problem isn't resolved I'll start shouting
from the treetops not to buy their crap.I'm sick of these friggin companies,
they require registration before they'll send you drivers. Whatever idiot put
their "stripped" Nero CD together did fine with the front end, but

First off, you bought a computer accessory from a relatively unknown brand.

You cannot expect good customer service from these kinds of companies. In
fact, you can't really expect decent service from known brands, either.

Whatever idiot put
their "stripped" Nero CD together did fine with the front end, but that's all
that's there.
I checked the directory of the CD to find this out. Now these
friggin idiots are only giving you Nero lite, not the full blown version and
I'd suspect it'll only work with their drive.

A lot of drive manufacturers have that problem.

I've got EZCD 5 plat. w/ the 2002 update but this drive was built in 2003.
It'll burn a CDRW fine with the set speed, however on a fast CDR blank it
screws up.

Not really a surprise, considering that it's Roxio.

Instead of screwing with them, just take the plunge and buy the most recent
version of Nero.

Or, download the most recent version of CDRWin from Golden Hawk Technology.

It just stops after about ¼ of the disk. There are probably
parameters I can set to stop this, like telling it not to go beyong 30X or
something, but I'd rather not.

You can check to see if there are any programs running in the background that
can hog enough resources to keep the drive from writing at its max CD-R
recording speed, like active anti-virus programs or what-not.

Be sure that your computer is also up to snuff with its housekeeping. A
computer with a fragged HD will take longer to do various tasks, which could
result in problems during a write if the HD has to stream anything to the
writer. Defragging will organize the file structure of the HD, so the HD won't
have to hunt quite as long.

Also, I'm a bit of an old-schooler, but I'd never write any higher than 4x.
IMO, a lot of cheap and even some quality CD-R media just won't write worth a
damn at high speeds as fast-written discs tend to have much higher levels of
BLER. - Reinhart
mike

JURB6006 wrote:
[...]

two words..."chill pill".

I have one of those drives and it works just fine with the software cd
that came with it.
FYI, Nero express is the same code as the full version.
If you have a valid
oem licence code for the same major version, you can just stuff it into
the express version. It will be the full version and work with any
drives supported by that version number.
My nero version is 5.5.10.28

Back when they supplied license codes with the restricted version,
you could update to a newer version. Using the old code gave you the
same drive restrictions, but updated code. Since the new Nero doesn't
require a licence code for express, not sure you can do that.
Might browse the registry and see if there's a code in there you can use.

A little googling and you could have found an OEM licence code in
less time than it took you to write the rant.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

Phillip Remaker

"JURB6006" wrote in message
it reads as an Artec WRR-52Z in control
panel. What are my odds of maybe using that driver ?

Excellent. Mad Dog is just a repackager. Artec/Ultima makes the actual
drive.

OfficeMax carried that model as well. Works OK, but is quirky.

You know the old saying, you get what you pay for. At the best price, these
drives were $9.99 after rebate! I have a few that I installed for casual
users, who have sometimes had problems like that. Once they found a media
that worked, they did fine.

Problems with Artec drives are pretty well known. And it is common practice
to bundle reduced-functionality software.

As for your problem, drop over to the mad dog website (www.mdmm.com) and
pick up a firmware upgrade (if available). That sometimes solves burning
problems. Or try different media. The Artecs are fussy about what media
they like.

Looks mike Mad Dog does not have the firmware. Also see
http://www.artecusa.com/tech-support-firmware.html

They have a 1.25 firmware available.

NSM

"Phillip Remaker" wrote in message
om...

| As for your problem, drop over to the mad dog website (www.mdmm.com) and
| pick up a firmware upgrade (if available). That sometimes solves burning
| problems. Or try different media. The Artecs are fussy about what media
| they like.

There are several free burner software programs around. I like Feurio for
music but I don't think it is quite so free anymore!

Mark D. Zacharias

"JURB6006" wrote in message
Hi;
snip
Any help is appreciated, but if you just want to join the rant that's
cool.

snip

Anyway, it's time to get my mind off this, I'm going to open a beer and
burn
one, it's Friday night. No more thinking for now (well maybe a little)

JURB

I know what you mean about it being too much like work. I'm reasonably good
with computers but not a guru. This means I get stuck with building,
administering, fixing etc the computers at work.
I'm well aware of the "you can't get there from here" scenario. You can't do
C because you didn't do B but you can't do B because you didn't do A but you
can't find driver for A, or driver A locks up system, etc.

Building a computer can be done in an hour or two, but generally takes me
all day and part of the next because of assorted unnecessary problems like
this.

Mark Z.