Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Asimov

Default AC defrost

Hi,

I was troubleshooting my sister's donated old Viking window AC which
she said wouldn't cool a couple summers ago. Found the defrost
interruptor contact was open with traces of smoke on the case. I
jumpered it and noticed the compressor seemed to be binding at every
other start attempt. When it wouldn't start it tripped my powerbar's
breaker so that explains why the defrost contact burned. The 25uF
starting cap seems okay. It measures alright and low leakage. After a
few careful starts the compressor now runs every time.

I've heard of AC compressors locking up if not used for a very long
time. I'm guessing the oil drains out of the bearings. It seems it
will run fine from here on and it really cools fast. I'll just have to
be careful about starting it next summer and use the powerbar with
breaker.

I have a couple of question's about the defrost contact. Is it simply
a fail-safe device or is it needed to turn off the compressor as part
of normal operation? Are these pretty generic?

This one clips onto the cold end return and made by Klixon (Made in
USA) # 20425F21-439-780 F56-3.0 6CV Not too sure about the F56-3.0 as
it was smudged. It was held in place by a thick tape ressembling
mastic, some kind of thermal insulation?

TIA

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.