DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Changing TV Tuner part in TV Card (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/75148-changing-tv-tuner-part-tv-card.html)

TuckMeng Lam October 30th 04 01:24 AM

Changing TV Tuner part in TV Card

Hi,

Was dumb enough to buy a PC TV card that does not work with my TV
system (my TV system in Singapore is PAL B/G and the TV Tuner card
only does PAL D/K). It seems that only 1 metal box needs to be
changed. (a rectangular part that is connected to a socket for the
antenna) Can anyone advise if it's an easy thing to change the card to
work on PAL B/G by using spare parts from other TV cards? (thinking of
getting a 2nd hand card just to rip off the TV tuner part).

Reason why I don't want to replace the card is because the card has
other features in it (realtime MPEG4 compression etc) that I like.
Besides, I have limited budget. Only the TV part doesn't work. I get
TV pictures but static instead of sound.

Grateful for any good advice. Please email me at tuckmeng at
hotmail.com

Si Ballenger October 30th 04 06:24 AM

On 29 Oct 2004 17:24:08 -0700, (TuckMeng
Lam) wrote:

Hi,

Was dumb enough to buy a PC TV card that does not work with my TV
system (my TV system in Singapore is PAL B/G and the TV Tuner card
only does PAL D/K). It seems that only 1 metal box needs to be
changed. (a rectangular part that is connected to a socket for the
antenna) Can anyone advise if it's an easy thing to change the card to
work on PAL B/G by using spare parts from other TV cards? (thinking of
getting a 2nd hand card just to rip off the TV tuner part).

Reason why I don't want to replace the card is because the card has
other features in it (realtime MPEG4 compression etc) that I like.
Besides, I have limited budget. Only the TV part doesn't work. I get
TV pictures but static instead of sound.

Grateful for any good advice. Please email me at tuckmeng at
hotmail.com

Get a cheap VCR and connect the composite video and audio from it
to the inputs on your capture card.

geo73 October 30th 04 12:42 PM

I think TV cards can change TV system from NTSC to all PAL versions even to
SECAM. HAve you checked the programs options?

TuckMeng Lam November 7th 04 08:34 AM

No, there are no other options. The card is very specific, only
receives PAL D/K. Can I hijack another part from a 2nd hand tv card to
convert it to PAL B/G?

Franc Zabkar November 8th 04 07:33 AM

On 7 Nov 2004 00:34:48 -0800, (TuckMeng Lam) put
finger to keyboard and composed:

No, there are no other options. The card is very specific, only
receives PAL D/K. Can I hijack another part from a 2nd hand tv card to
convert it to PAL B/G?

Can you open the tuner can? Is the IF stage inside the same can?
Perhaps if you can identify the chip(s) you could find a datasheet
with an application circuit that will show you which parts need
changing.

- Franc Zabkar

Craig Hart November 8th 04 01:08 PM

Possibly you could. Try to find the datasheet on the current fitted tuner,
then source a PAL B spare with similar pinout or at leas tthe same set of
signal in/outs (pinouts seem fairly standardised across models as a broad
rule).

Most times, it's a straight swap plus maybe move a resistor or two on the
card PCB to "select" the correct mode for the main decoder IC, which may not
even be necessry for PAL D to PAL B.

om...