DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Koss Pro-4 AA earphones ( ear cushion removal) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/74960-koss-pro-4-aa-earphones-ear-cushion-removal.html)

Jacques Carrier October 28th 04 02:47 PM

Koss Pro-4 AA earphones ( ear cushion removal)

Hi fellow techs,

I want to replace the ear cushions on these fine earphones.
Please tell me how to remove them correctly because I do not want
to damage them.They seem to be glued in place.Maybe there is a metal ring??

Many thanks,

Jacques Carrier

jakdedert October 28th 04 03:56 PM

Jacques Carrier wrote:
Hi fellow techs,

I want to replace the ear cushions on these fine earphones.
Please tell me how to remove them correctly because I do not want
to damage them.They seem to be glued in place.Maybe there is a metal
ring??

They've probably glued themselves into place over the years. IIRC, they are
simply stretched over the earpiece, and the edge shrinks itself into a
groove around the circumfrence. I know I pulled mine off many times.

Where did you find new ear cushions for them? I thought they were only
available by sending in the entire unit to Koss for refurb. I'll have to
Google out Koss one of these days. I've got a set of AAA's which need new
pads. The ones on these are definitely glued into place...air-filled as
opposed to the fluid-filled ones on the AA's (more comfortable/lighter--but
considerably more fragile).

jak

Many thanks,

Jacques Carrier

jakdedert October 28th 04 09:02 PM

jakdedert wrote:
Jacques Carrier wrote:
[...]

I went to the Koss site. They do indeed sell cushions for many of their
cans...not the AAA's however. I pulled mine off to see if I could refurb
them. I found a leak in one side, which I might be able to plug. The other
side will take a bit of sleuthing (immerse in water, then squeeze?). There
is no easily located hole, but they eventually go flat when compressed.

I've tried to locate a modern Koss headset which could be adapted to fit.
The cushions are simply glued to the can. Something in their line (all
cushions are $5/pair) must be close, although the Pro-4AAA earpieces are
unusually large.

Too bad they are not covered by the lifetime warrantee of the newer models.
In fact, I don't think they support them at all anymore. I'm waiting for a
reply to my email; but further research on the web indicates that they've
disowned this model....a shame, they sound very good.....

jak

jak
jak

Many thanks,