George

Default Panasonic Mcirowave Oven Problem

Panasonic Model NN6381A
I can always enter the power and the time settings.
When I press Start, one of these three things happens:
1. The oven does not start and 88:88 appears in the dispplay
2. The oven runs for a few seconds, and then stops and 88:88 appears
in the display
3. The oven runs properly

What might cause this? Behavior #2 above makes me doubt that the
keypad is the problem.

To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Rheilly Phoull

"George" wrote in message
Panasonic Model NN6381A
I can always enter the power and the time settings.
When I press Start, one of these three things happens:
1. The oven does not start and 88:88 appears in the dispplay
2. The oven runs for a few seconds, and then stops and 88:88 appears
in the display
3. The oven runs properly

What might cause this? Behavior #2 above makes me doubt that the
keypad is the problem.

To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Given that the 88.88 display comes up as a result of power failure, could
you have an intermittent supply ??
(Power cord, plugtop, connection strip etc. etc. )

--
Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

LASERandDVDfan

Panasonic Model NN6381A
I can always enter the power and the time settings.
When I press Start, one of these three things happens:
1. The oven does not start and 88:88 appears in the dispplay
2. The oven runs for a few seconds, and then stops and 88:88 appears
in the display
3. The oven runs properly

What might cause this? Behavior #2 above makes me doubt that the
keypad is the problem.

Try resetting the oven's SYSCON.

Unplug and leave it that way for about 10-30 minutes. Plug it back in, set the
clock, and then use it again. - Reinhart

Wayne Tiffany

On my old Sears microwave, one day the display decided to give the 8's all
the time - found a bad electrolytic on the control board. Maybe you have
one just on the verge that, depending on the humidity, maybe is close enough
until the current draw goes up, then it goes over the edge. Just a wild
thought.

WT

"George" wrote in message
Panasonic Model NN6381A
I can always enter the power and the time settings.
When I press Start, one of these three things happens:
1. The oven does not start and 88:88 appears in the dispplay
2. The oven runs for a few seconds, and then stops and 88:88 appears
in the display
3. The oven runs properly

What might cause this? Behavior #2 above makes me doubt that the
keypad is the problem.

To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Bob Shuman

Wayne,

I had the same thought. If the DC voltage drops below reset threshold, then
the unit will reset. Starting up the microwave likely creates a current
draw and the power supply isn't retaining its voltage. You might be able to
see this with an Oscilloscope across the low voltage DC power. Check for AC
ripple and watch as you cycle the oven.

Good luck!

Bob

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in message
On my old Sears microwave, one day the display decided to give the 8's all
the time - found a bad electrolytic on the control board. Maybe you have
one just on the verge that, depending on the humidity, maybe is close

enough
until the current draw goes up, then it goes over the edge. Just a wild
thought.

WT

George

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:38:40 -0500, "Bob Shuman"
wrote:

Wayne,

I had the same thought. If the DC voltage drops below reset threshold, then
the unit will reset. Starting up the microwave likely creates a current
draw and the power supply isn't retaining its voltage. You might be able to
see this with an Oscilloscope across the low voltage DC power. Check for AC
ripple and watch as you cycle the oven.

Good luck!

Bob

Yes, this seems very reasonble.
If I set the time-of-day clock, it will forget the time after the 8888
appears.
I will take a look at the low voltage DC.
Any suggestions as to how I open up the box to get at that?