DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are old tubes worth anything? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/74880-old-tubes-worth-anything.html)

CGott October 27th 04 07:55 PM

Are old tubes worth anything?

I have many old tubes, and was wondering where to look for what they
are worth. Is there any demand for them?

Elmer Bataitis October 27th 04 07:59 PM

"CGott" wrote in message
om...
I have many old tubes, and was wondering where to look for what they
are worth. Is there any demand for them?

Do a websearch on each number.

You'll find lists of people selling that tube and the prices they want.It'll give you an idea if
anything is worth selling.

Charles Schuler October 27th 04 08:21 PM

"CGott" wrote in message
om...
I have many old tubes, and was wondering where to look for what they
are worth. Is there any demand for them?

Most old tubes are worth little to nothing. Transmitting tubes can be
sometimes sold at Ham radio flea markets. Same goes for tubes used in
antique radios.

Colin B. October 27th 04 09:09 PM

CGott wrote:
I have many old tubes, and was wondering where to look for what they
are worth. Is there any demand for them?

Check on ebay. If they're common audio amp tubes, you might be able to get
some worthwhile coin for them.

Colin

Phil Nelson October 27th 04 10:57 PM

Depends on the type. Many TV and radio tubes are worth little because
they're still very plentiful. Certain types, such as 1L6 or 45, are in
demand because they're scarce. In the radio market, those two types would go
for a minimum of $20 apiece if NIB. Audiophiles are also on the lookout for
certain types of tubes and will pay a premium for them.

If you make a list, you could send it to Antique Electronic Supply,
http://www.tubesandmore.com/ and see what they would offer you for the lot.

You could also contact the nearest radio collector club and ask for advice.
There's a list of clubs at http://www.antiqueradio.com/clublist.html . Maybe
someone in the club would want to buy the whole lot from you.

Regards,

Phil Nelson

tempus fugit October 28th 04 03:15 AM

Agreed. Especially if they are (or were) used in guitar amps (like old EL34s
or 6L6s). Some guitar players are downright idiotic about the "golden tone"
from older tubes.

"Colin B." wrote in message
CGott wrote:
I have many old tubes, and was wondering where to look for what they
are worth. Is there any demand for them?

Check on ebay. If they're common audio amp tubes, you might be able to get
some worthwhile coin for them.

Colin

---