Lenny

Default 1989 ? Delco AM/FM/ cassete tape problems.

I gave up on my 1983 Delco and found this one in the junk yard for
10.00. I don't know the year of the van it came out of but it actually
is a direct fit into my 1990 Chevy van so I was glad to find it. I
cleaned the head, tape path, resurfaced the pressure rollers, and
removed the slick from the belt. I tried it on the bench and it
performed very well. In the van it worked well initially however now
sometimes after inserting a tape the thing just continuously clicks.
Sometimes repeatedly inserting and removing the tape will get it to
work but eventually I pulled it and put it back on the bench. I opened
it and found that when it does this just giving the solenoid in the
back of the transport section a little help seems to lock it in. But
there seems to be more going on here. And I don't really know how this
mechanism is supposed to work. It seems like a mechanical nightmare
actually. Its so tightly packed I hesitate to start dismantling it
further than just enough to service the main belt. Unless someone
knows for certain that the fix for this is a definite and relativly
minor one, (which I feel that it could be), I may have to return this
to the junk man and scrounge another junk yard for another one. The
numbers off the unit are as follows:
Model:16129895
Pkg.# 16124591
Prod. ID: FM20EV
(This number is also on the unit, which leads me to believe it was a
1989 model):
89APBH
I'm really missing my tunes! Thanks for any assistance with this.
Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.
JURB6006

Are the function buttons underneath ?

The newer style decks needed a really strong belt to eject. (except for type D)

If you just cleaned the belt, I would suggest replacing it before getting any
deeper. Sometimes the clicking is because of the same thing. If it's the deck
is what I think it is, the solenoid isn't the only thing moving things into the
play mode. Actually if it's autoreverse, the lack of tape movement will cause
the clicking, or actually it could be a failure of the reel sensor. IIRC they
used motor torque to engage and disengage the mech, the solenoid was mainly for
reverse.

Of course if this is the older type deck with the controls on the side I have
no idea.

JURB
JURB6006

Yup, now that's either a type B or C. The type B needs a good belt. Best if
it's bad and doesn't load the tape, cause sometimes it won't eject.

I've replaced quite a few of the cassette guides in these due to people using a
screwdriver to perform the "eject" function.

I'm going to be rooting around the boneyard today, if I run across these decks
I'll send you a picture.

I don't recall the size of that belt offhand, but it was very critical to have
a good one in there. I'll, however, have parts for this one in case that's not
the problem.

JURB
JURB6006

Have a look at a