Default Soldering Station Recommendations

I just had a chance to use an ancient Hexacon TOT1002 to do capacitor
replacement on a motherboard where I was soldering in the middle of
massive ground planes.

I have a whole bunch of other irons and none of them could come close
to getting that job done.

Unfortunately, the Hexacon was buzzing like crazy and finally went
dead. (I determined that the transformer and triac were good and then
gave up. It's a simple board but there is an IC and I don't know the
effect of a broken wire in the iron will cause. So I pretty much gave
up on it.)

I really liked it so was thinking find another one on eBay.

Of course, then I read about the Hakko 936, Edsyn 971HA, and some
Wellers.

The Hexacon is insanely priced, but it sure is old school.

Any suggestions?

NOTE: I kept getting the feeling that the Hexacon was actually
boosting the iron WHILE I was soldering that ground plane.

I don't think, even though termostatically controlled, that any
stations response time could be quick enough to boost power DURING a
2-3 second soldering.

Do you know what model it was?

Shawn D'Alimonte wrote:

wrote:

I don't think, even though termostatically controlled, that any
stations response time could be quick enough to boost power DURING a
2-3 second soldering.

In the engineering lab I used to work they had a Weller iron that
responded pretty quickly.

The power LED on the base was bi-colour. When the heat was on it was
red, green when off. When you touched the iron to something you would
see the duty cycle change right away.

The small tip would heat pretty quickly (room temp to 900F in under a
minute).

Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:59:51 -0400, Shawn D'Alimonte
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In the engineering lab I used to work they had a Weller iron that
responded pretty quickly.

The power LED on the base was bi-colour. When the heat was on it was
red, green when off.

Damn, I hate that!

http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/2C.html

"Approximately 5% to 8% of the men and 0.5% of the women of the world
are born colorblind. That's as high as one out of twelve men and one
out of two hundred women. People who are protans (red weak) and
deutans (green weak) comprise 99% of this group."

- Franc Zabkar

Dave Walsh

wrote in message
[...]

Ive had an XYtronics thing thrown into my tool kits for years, its been good
to me, tho its giving me jip at the moment, the cable to the iron has gone
intermittent...
Anyone know where I can get 5core silicon heat resistant flex??...

Dave W.

Glenn Gundlach

"Craig Hart" wrote in message ...
NEVER NEVER go past a hakko.

Best iron, ever.

wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried a Metcal?. Metcal is melting solder in 7 seconds. Got
mine on Ebay for $125. Metcal is a 13 MHz transmitter working into a
soldering tip that only absorbs power when its below temp. After using
a Metcal, everything else seems like a 'tusk'.
GG