Steve

Default Picture Black - 35" Mitsubishi, Mod #CS-3506R.

I have a 1990 vintage 35" Mitsubishi, model # CS-3506R.

The picture is black, although there is sound and the on screen
channel/time display works okay.

Based on some prior posts on Mitsubishi's, I suspect that the PIP module
(930B43601) is bad. I did find a burnt lead to a capacitor (C7400),
although replacing the cap didn't fix it. My guess is that there are
other component problems.

Can this PIP module be bypassed? Is it feasible to have it replaced or
repaired?

FYI - Just before the picture went black, there were a bunch of blue
streaks shooting across at an angle.

The tube still looks good, and I am hoping to get a few more years out
of this set.

Thanks,
Steve/NH

BWL

I don't think this model uese the PIP module with the leaking caps; this may be
the one with the 12 regulator (5 pin) supplied by two 1.2ohm resistors on the
signal board; the resistors go bad eventually, and must be replaced; usually
cooks the board around the resistors as well.
Steve

Thanks for the response. Correct, this is not the PIP module with the surface mount
leaking caps. Since I did find a burnt lead on a cap on this module, I still
consider it a suspect.

I looked, and I think I found the regulator you are refering to. Everything looks
intact. There are no signs of any burnt components.

Since the on screen display of channel/time/volume level all work whether the PIP
module is installed or not, could this be a clue for me that it is the PIP module?

Thanks,
Steve

BWL wrote:

I don't think this model uese the PIP module with the leaking caps; this may be
the one with the 12 regulator (5 pin) supplied by two 1.2ohm resistors on the
signal board; the resistors go bad eventually, and must be replaced; usually
cooks the board around the resistors as well.

BWL

Burnt lead? If you mean it turned black, pull cap and check for leakage of
electrolyte on bottom; any caps you find like this should be replaced; also
check all over chassis looking for leaking caps; usually easy to spot on older
sets if there's any dust on boards; will leave a small "wet spot" around base
of cap...
Steve

No, it was actually burnt where in attached to the module, and the solder was
melted to a point where the lead was floating around. This cap did have a wet
spot underneath it was well.

Is there a way to bypass this type of PIP module?

BWL wrote:

Burnt lead? If you mean it turned black, pull cap and check for leakage of
electrolyte on bottom; any caps you find like this should be replaced; also
check all over chassis looking for leaking caps; usually easy to spot on older
sets if there's any dust on boards; will leave a small "wet spot" around base
of cap...

Steve

I would like to add an update to this.

I purchased Sams schematics, and through the helpful hints they provided for
things to look for I found that a transistor on the PIP module was bad Q7001
(2SA933SRD).

Because of the symptoms, I was on the right track with the PIP module being
the culprit, but without prints and a scope I would not have been able to
fix this.

Thanks to all that helped.