Sam Goldwasser

Default Sony VAIO PCG-Z505LE laptop power problems

Someone gave me a Sony VAIO which plays totally dead with either the power
adapter (tested good using DMM and on another identical laptop) or charged
battery. By "totally dead" I mean absolutely no indication that power is
getting beyond the DC socket or battery terminals - not even a momentary
flash of any LEDs.

I'm told that the laptop just died suddenly while in use.

I've removed everything that will unplug from the mainboard without
any change.

The single fuse I could locate (near the DC input) tests fine.

I doubt it's worth the cost of a new mainboard but any other
suggestions other than "replace that piece of junk" appreciated.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Andre

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message ...
Someone gave me a Sony VAIO which plays totally dead with either the power
adapter (tested good using DMM and on another identical laptop) or charged
battery. By "totally dead" I mean absolutely no indication that power is
getting beyond the DC socket or battery terminals - not even a momentary
flash of any LEDs.

I once had the opposite problem on a Compaq Presario, where the power
supply was "tripping" when connected to mainboard.

I'd check to see how far the power gets to the various chips, you will
likely find that it is a SMPS startup problem.

Yours,
_A

Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Sony KV-2782R and 2785R, power supply problems. Michael Parker Electronics Repair 1 October 23rd 03 08:56 AM
Sony KV-2782R Power supply, and KV-2785R same. John Wright Electronics Repair 0 October 23rd 03 02:15 AM
Power problems and how to find a good electrician? maddening UK diy 13 October 10th 03 02:18 PM