Old May 20th 21, 03:09 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Westwind Trantor Hard Disk for Osborne Computer

On 5/19/21 3:24 PM, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 12:19:25 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

snip

Might need a "Shake & Bake" operation to get it spinning again...I used
to pick up the drive and hold it in my hand, then quickly rotate my
wrist in the direction of spin to free up the heads. Then back up the
disk right away!

I had to do similar with a genuine IBM PC that I'd added a FH (5MB)
ST506 interfaced HDD to that wouldn't always spin up from power-on (I
used it to run the Co BBS (TBBS) and it was typically on 27/7).

I would hit the power switch then sharply twist the whole PC around
about 45 Deg and back (as you say, on the same plane as the platters)
and it always span up. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Definitely something to try. I'll give it a shot.

-John

Old May 20th 21, 11:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
(I
used it to run the Co BBS (TBBS) and it was typically on 27/7).

Another TBBS alumni!

I ran The Golddust Plantation back when.

RwP