DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Blown IC (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/685847-blown-ic.html)

Stu jaxon April 1st 21 07:04 PM

Blown IC

Hi Group, need help identifying a blown IC. it's on Vizio e550-b2, power supply board # DPS-167DP ,.. Board locator # ic901, it has 7 pins, and the top is blown away.??

Adrian Caspersz April 1st 21 07:33 PM

Blown IC

On 01/04/2021 19:04, Stu jaxon wrote:
Hi Group, need help identifying a blown IC. it's on Vizio e550-b2, power supply board # DPS-167DP ,.. Board locator # ic901, it has 7 pins, and the top is blown away.??

You missed an 'I'

Googling is remarkably effective with the right input.

e550I-b2 ic901

e.g.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79046

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70423

Apparently a LD7913JGM6, a PWM controller?

--
Adrian C

Stu jaxon April 6th 21 01:35 PM

Blown IC

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 2:33:50 PM UTC-4, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 01/04/2021 19:04, Stu jaxon wrote:
Hi Group, need help identifying a blown IC. it's on Vizio e550-b2, power supply board # DPS-167DP ,.. Board locator # ic901, it has 7 pins, and the top is blown away.??

You missed an 'I'

Googling is remarkably effective with the right input.

e550I-b2 ic901

e.g.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79046

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70423

Apparently a LD7913JGM6, a PWM controller?

--
Adrian C

I have a .068 ohm resistor reading 0.00.. acting like a short, it is a low ohm resistor, is it supposed to read???

Stu jaxon April 6th 21 01:37 PM

Blown IC

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 8:35:31 AM UTC-4, Stu jaxon wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 2:33:50 PM UTC-4, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 01/04/2021 19:04, Stu jaxon wrote:
Hi Group, need help identifying a blown IC. it's on Vizio e550-b2, power supply board # DPS-167DP ,.. Board locator # ic901, it has 7 pins, and the top is blown away.??

You missed an 'I'

Googling is remarkably effective with the right input.

e550I-b2 ic901

e.g.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79046

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70423

Apparently a LD7913JGM6, a PWM controller?

--
Adrian C

I have a .068 ohm resistor reading 0.00.. acting like a short, it is a low ohm resistor, is it supposed to read???

board part # R804A...

[email protected] April 6th 21 04:26 PM

Blown IC

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 8:35:31 AM UTC-4, Stu jaxon wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 2:33:50 PM UTC-4, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 01/04/2021 19:04, Stu jaxon wrote:
Hi Group, need help identifying a blown IC. it's on Vizio e550-b2, power supply board # DPS-167DP ,.. Board locator # ic901, it has 7 pins, and the top is blown away.??

You missed an 'I'

Googling is remarkably effective with the right input.

e550I-b2 ic901

e.g.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79046

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70423

Apparently a LD7913JGM6, a PWM controller?

--
Adrian C

I have a .068 ohm resistor reading 0.00.. acting like a short, it is a low ohm resistor, is it supposed to read???

Did you zero the meter? Sometimes a low value resistor is shunted by a choke, and sometimes some residual voltage in the circuit will throw off a resistance reading. Try removing one lead of the resistor and checking again, and if it's OK, see if it is paralleled with another low resistance component.

Stu jaxon April 6th 21 04:55 PM

Blown IC

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:26:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I did lift a lead, and it's still reading zero, like a short.??? it doesn't look like it's paralleled with another low resistance component.

Peter W. April 6th 21 06:31 PM

Blown IC

I have a .068 ohm resistor reading 0.00.. acting like a short, it is a low ohm resistor, is it supposed to read???

Lemme see. 0.068 ohms. Really? That would be within the margin-of-error for many cheap VOMs. Does your meter have a range-adjust? If you are in the 0-10.000 range, you will not get a wiggle at 0.068 ohms. Of you are in the 0-1 ohm range, that is entirely something else.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Ralph Mowery[_3_] April 6th 21 06:39 PM

Blown IC

In article ,
says...

I have a .068 ohm resistor reading 0.00.. acting like a short, it is a low ohm resistor, is it supposed to read???

Lemme see. 0.068 ohms. Really? That would be within the margin-of-error for many cheap VOMs. Does your meter have a range-adjust? If you are in the 0-10.000 range, you will not get a wiggle at 0.068 ohms. Of you are in the 0-1 ohm range, that is entirely something else.

It would take a very special meter to show a .068 resistor value. That
or measure the voltage across it with a known ammount of current through
it.

For most meters there could be that much contact resistance.

Cydrome Leader April 6th 21 07:26 PM

Blown IC

Stu jaxon wrote:
[...]

0.068 ohms is basically a short. It's unlikely a resistor will fail
shorted, so leave it alone, it's probably OK.

[email protected] April 9th 21 05:16 AM

Blown IC

A 0.068 reading zero is not uncommon. Most ohmmeters do not measure that low. Suffice it to say it is not open, and it is very unlikely to short.

Before changing tht IC, you must find and fix any shorts on the secondary side of the transformer and identify the output pin. It will go straight to the transformers and may have either a cutout around it in the board or a coating of white **** on the board.

Whichever it is, if nothing go with the ohmmeter from the top (+ probably) and find a pin that checks pretty much continuity to that gong to the transformer. Now look around, there will be a diode, resistor and a cap Make sure those components are not open and as they are voltage snubbers without them the IC is destroyed fast.