Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default How much electricity do these things use when not in use?

I'd appreciate it any replies went to all three groups that this is
posted to so I don't have to read all three to see all the replies.
When I started in Usenet, that was considered the proper way.

How much electricity do these things use when not in use?

1) Laptop power supplies, when the laptop is not on? Is it different
when the laptop is disconnected?

2) Automobile Quick Charge 3.0 ports? My car is old so I have to add
one, like this one,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MNGJUPVG&psc=1
Some come with a switch in them and some don't. I picked this one
'cause it has a 1.1" hole saw, not for the switch. I suppose some new
cars come with QC 3.0 installed?

3) Radios, that have an on/off switch but the switch is not in the 110v.
line. It's somewhere in the transistor circuitry, after the radio's
power supply? Why don't they put the switch on the 110 volts?

4) Same question about TV's but since they are bigger, do they waste
even more? If they have to use a relay, they could use a relay. (Yes,
I agree that the remote control receiver has to be on all the time, but
I don't consider that a waste. It could be the only part that is on.)

5) What have I left out? Especially something that is different in
nature from the previous 4.

WRT 1, I've noticed that the black box that's part of the charging cable
is not hot, not even warm afaict, when I'm not charging anything. Does
that imply I'm not using much current? That I'm using no current?

WRT 2, cars, doesn't the alternator put out loads of extra electricity
anyhow except that there is a regulator to stop that. If the charger I'm
asking about or the lights or any accesorry (even maybe the heater fan)
is using electricity, does it make the engine work harder? Is the
amount significant? How many gallons an hour do all the accesories
together use?
Is the amount the engine would have to work to power a charger
that's not charging anything even measurable with other than a
galvanometer**?
** wikip doesn't say this but I was led to believe a galvanometer
is an ammeter for very small currents. Was that true? Is it still?
Anyhow, that's what I mean in the previous paragraph.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

micky wrote

I'd appreciate it any replies went to all three groups that this is
posted to so I don't have to read all three to see all the replies.
When I started in Usenet, that was considered the proper way.

How much electricity do these things use when not in use?

1) Laptop power supplies, when the laptop is not on?

What the battery needs charging wise.

Is it different when the laptop is disconnected?

Yes, very little power is taken with a modern
very small switching power supply/charger.

2) Automobile Quick Charge 3.0 ports?
My car is old so I have to add one, like this one,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MNGJUPVG&psc=1

Same as the laptop.

Some come with a switch in them and some don't. I picked
this one 'cause it has a 1.1" hole saw, not for the switch. I
suppose some new cars come with QC 3.0 installed?

3) Radios, that have an on/off switch but the switch is
not in the 110v. line. It's somewhere in the transistor
circuitry, after the radio's power supply?

It doesn't actually switch anything, it tells the radio to turn off.

How much power it takes when off varys with the design.

Why don't they put the switch on the 110 volts?

Because the other switch is cheaper.

4) Same question about TV's but since
they are bigger, do they waste even more?

Yep, the worst designs can be quite bad.

If they have to use a relay, they could use a relay. (Yes, I agree
that the remote control receiver has to be on all the time, but
I don't consider that a waste. It could be the only part that is on.)

Yes with the best designs. But some of the smart ones
allow the firmware to be remotely updated so that
still needs to be active to know when to do that.

5) What have I left out?

Everything appliance wise except the most primitive now.

Especially something that is different in nature from the previous 4.

You can get power meters very cheaply.

WRT 1, I've noticed that the black box that's part of the charging
cable is not hot, not even warm afaict, when I'm not charging
anything. Does that imply I'm not using much current?

Yes.

That I'm using no current?

Nope, its never literally zero.

WRT 2, cars, doesn't the alternator put out loads of extra
electricity anyhow except that there is a regulator to stop that.

There always is a regulator.

If the charger I'm asking about or the lights or any
accesorry (even maybe the heater fan) is using
electricity, does it make the engine work harder?

Yep. But it isnt a fan heater in car.

Is the amount significant?

Nope.

How many gallons an hour do all the accesories together use?

Bugger all.

Is the amount the engine would have to work to power
a charger that's not charging anything even measurable
with other than a galvanometer**?

It is measurable with a power meter.

** wikip doesn't say this but I was led to believe a galvanometer
is an ammeter for very small currents. Was that true?

Yes.

Is it still?

Nope, we do it electronically now.

Anyhow, that's what I mean in the previous paragraph.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Mr. "There is no tide in the Suez Canal" LMAO

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 17:31:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's always predictable troll****

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peeler wrote:
=============
On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 17:31:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

** OH - so you know Rod fairly well then ...

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's always predictable troll****

** Must use that one, myself.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 28/03/2021 06:13, micky wrote:

I'd appreciate it any replies went to all three groups that this is
posted to so I don't have to read all three to see all the replies.
When I started in Usenet, that was considered the proper way.

Yup - and *much* preference to multiposting. Cross-posting to completely
different or trophy groups was the annoyance, mostly done by trolls.

How much electricity do these things use when not in use?

It's less than the electricity used when they are in use ;-)

However less - this depends on age, construction, type, and how much
power/cost you believe is significant.

Find yourself an AC plugin power meter and measure?

There are other metering methods for non-AC classes of equipment, a
clamp meter is a non-invasive measurer of current (and them hall-types
that also measure DC current are pretty useful in cars).

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 01:13:16 -0400, micky
wrote:

How much electricity do these things use when not in use?

1) Laptop power supplies, when the laptop is not on? Is it different
when the laptop is disconnected?

Using my P4460 Kill-a-watt meter, I tried a mixed collection of
laptops and power supplies. Since the laptop is charging the battery
while it is turned off, and I didn't want to wait for the battery to
come to full charge, I simply removed the battery where possible:

Acer Chromebook 14
PS only 0 watts
PS with laptop turned off 0 watts

HP Pavilion dv8263dl
PS only 0 watts
PS with laptop turned off 3 watts

HP Pavilion dv6-1253cl
[...]

Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Are you the same asshole who bothers soc.culture.israel ?

If so I hope someone finds you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 01:13:16 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

I'd appreciate it any replies went to all three groups that this is
posted to so I don't have to read all three to see all the replies.
When I started in Usenet, that was considered the proper way.

No, it wasn't.

--
Tekkie