Old February 19th 21, 03:47 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gas heat thermostat if no power

Peter W. wrote:

We have a small 30A @ 240 VAC emergency generator. When it is in use, we
run it to a 30A double-pole breaker in the panel, shutting off the main
breaker at the same time. That will cover the freezer, refrigerator,
boiler a few lights and other miscellaneous items as needed, without
having to wire or unwire anything. The feed from the generator is 6/3 SJO
cord, and the unit itself is grounded to a properly installed 8' ground
rod. The three times we have had to use it for more than a couple of
hours, it has worked nicely. Usually, we run a single-ended extension cord
to our neighbors for their refrigerator as well.

Yes, we have a much smaller generator. We have only used it once for an
extended outage. It was WONDERFUL to have it, though. We ran extension
cords all through the house, and ran the refrigerator, freezer, cell phone
chargers and the furnace.

Since the events where this has been needed are so rare, having to rewire
the furnace is not a big deal. I'm more worried about the gas valve
thermocouple going out in the middle of the night.

Jon

Old February 21st 21, 11:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 10:29:25 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
We have a small 30A @ 240 VAC emergency generator. When it is in use, we run it to a 30A double-pole breaker in the panel, shutting off the main breaker at the same time. That will cover the freezer, refrigerator, boiler a few lights and other miscellaneous items as needed, without having to wire or unwire anything. The feed from the generator is 6/3 SJO cord, and the unit itself is grounded to a properly installed 8' ground rod. The three times we have had to use it for more than a couple of hours, it has worked nicely. Usually, we run a single-ended extension cord to our neighbors for their refrigerator as well.
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I assume the 30A double-pole breaker is wired to be a transfer switch, else, bad things will happen when the power comes back on.
In your configuration, wont you need to drop some load at the load center as I assume all the devices in a 3-4 bedroom house would exceed the power output of the generator? Just re-read the [email protected] VAC...probably not..
Old February 22nd 21, 12:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

".... Shutting off the main breaker...."

We are a gas-fired, nearly-all-LED house. The loads I will drop for such an event are the hot-tub, the mini-splits, and the TV & audio solid-state electronics. Otherwise, there is more than enough capacity for lighting, refrigeration and heating.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA