Old February 15th 21, 10:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default help with circuit repair

I have a small, handheld geiger counter made by a firm called RDX
Nuclear (model is DX-1). Unfortunately, a much younger family member
than I decided to try putting a 9V battery in it, but he put it in the
wrong way before I could intercept him. Now, when the activation button
is pressed, all I'm getting is a constant tone. Within the tone, I can
hear individual clicking as if it is still taking counts, but that's it.
Also, the indication needle is pegged. Here is an image of the top of
the circuit board:

https://i.imgur.com/kSHzB0T.jpg

Unfortunately, I've never seen a schematic of this unit on the web even
though it seems to be sold all over the place. Contacting RDX, all they
want to do is replace that tiny board... for $120. So, if you hooked it
up backwards, what would you check first? I did check the diodes and
they all seem fine.

Old February 15th 21, 10:54 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

JB Haskins wrote:

=================
[...]

** The CMOS IC is the most likely be damaged.

...... Phil
Old February 15th 21, 10:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/15/21 4:54 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
JB Haskins wrote:

=================
[...]

Thank you, that's what I have suspected as well.
Old February 15th 21, 11:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

JB Haskins wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/kSHzB0T.jpg

Unfortunately, I've never seen a schematic of this unit on the web even

Given the seeming simplicity of that board in your image (it appears to
be a single sided board) have you considered investing a moderate
amount of time into reverse engineering a schematic by following which
traces on the underside connect to which components from the top?

Old February 16th 21, 12:47 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 16/02/2021 8:08 am, JB Haskins wrote:
[...]

**As Phil has stated, the 40106 is likely to be toast. For less than 10
Bucks and 20 minutes work, you could replace every semiconductor in the
thing.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old February 16th 21, 12:49 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/15/21 5:52 PM, Rich wrote:
JB Haskins wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/kSHzB0T.jpg

Unfortunately, I've never seen a schematic of this unit on the web even

Given the seeming simplicity of that board in your image (it appears to
be a single sided board) have you considered investing a moderate
amount of time into reverse engineering a schematic by following which
traces on the underside connect to which components from the top?

The last time I tried to do that, it turned out to be a disaster
although what I tried it with was a little more complex. Still, I might
give it a go with this one. I already ordered a replacement IC and the
transistors on the board- all are common parts and not expensive.
Actually ordered more than one of each since I own at least two of these
geiger counters.
Old February 16th 21, 12:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/15/21 6:47 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

Quite true, even without a schematic, none of the parts are uncommon or
costly so ordered the IC and all the transistors. I got seconds because
I have at least one other of these units.

Old February 16th 21, 12:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/15/21 6:50 PM, JB Haskins wrote:
[...]

And I just got done putting a socket in there for the IC in case any
future accidents happen, the job should be simpler.

Old February 16th 21, 01:04 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

JB Haskins wrote:

==============

And I just got done putting a socket in there for the IC in case any
future accidents happen, the job should be simpler.

** Install a 1 amp diode in reverse across the batt connection while you are at it.

Only fools design such items with no reverse batt protection.

...... Phil
Old February 16th 21, 01:16 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/15/21 7:04 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
JB Haskins wrote:

And I just got done putting a socket in there for the IC in case any
future accidents happen, the job should be simpler.

** Install a 1 amp diode in reverse across the batt connection while you are at it.

Only fools design such items with no reverse batt protection.

Good idea, thanks, will do that.

..... Phil