DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   NNTP server recs please (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/684856-nntp-server-recs-please.html)

[email protected] February 8th 21 04:48 PM

NNTP server recs please

Greetings All,
Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one to continue to read the few
newsgroups I still participate in.
Looking online for reviews I read that some NNTP providers store
posts for as long as 11 years. This might be a good thing as I was
looking for a few posts on rec.crafts.metalworking that I'm sure I saw
less than two years ago but don't seem to be available anymore, at
least from Altopia.
So, recs please?
Thanks,
Eric

---

Rich February 8th 21 05:15 PM

NNTP server recs please

wrote:
Greetings All,
Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one to continue to read the few
newsgroups I still participate in.
Looking online for reviews I read that some NNTP providers store
posts for as long as 11 years. This might be a good thing as I was
looking for a few posts on rec.crafts.metalworking that I'm sure I saw
less than two years ago but don't seem to be available anymore, at
least from Altopia.
So, recs please?

Eternal September
https://www.eternal-september.org/

AIOE
https://www.aioe.org/

Any one of the many paid usenet providers. Random "best of" page from
a DuckDuckGo search:
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers

Andy Burns[_13_] February 8th 21 05:33 PM

NNTP server recs please

wrote:

Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one

news.individual.net
‚¬10/year

Rayner Lucas February 8th 21 05:38 PM

NNTP server recs please

In article ,
says...

Greetings All,
Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one to continue to read the few
newsgroups I still participate in.
Looking online for reviews I read that some NNTP providers store
posts for as long as 11 years. This might be a good thing as I was
looking for a few posts on rec.crafts.metalworking that I'm sure I saw
less than two years ago but don't seem to be available anymore, at
least from Altopia.
So, recs please?

I'm happy with eternal-september.org. It's completely free to register
and use, and it has always seemed competently run. It does not carry any
binary groups.

Retention is claimed to be 160 days for the big-8 hierarchies, but all
groups I've looked at have posts dating back at least a couple of years
and often longer.

If you need binary groups and/or longer retention times, Giganews
advertises 17+ years retention for text groups and 3+ years for binary
groups. I don't have personal experience with them, though.

Rayner

Abandoned_Trolley February 8th 21 06:06 PM

NNTP server recs please

On 08/02/2021 16:48, wrote:
Greetings All,
Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one to continue to read the few
newsgroups I still participate in.
Looking online for reviews I read that some NNTP providers store
posts for as long as 11 years. This might be a good thing as I was
looking for a few posts on rec.crafts.metalworking that I'm sure I saw
less than two years ago but don't seem to be available anymore, at
least from Altopia.
So, recs please?
Thanks,
Eric

---

I am also happy with the free service from Eternal September - in your
OP you didnt say if you were willing to consider a paid service ?

FYI I just loaded up about 118,000 news headers from
rec.crafts.metalworking and there seems to be readable items (not just
headers) going back to around 2009

It will cost you nothing to look

AT

Jon Elson February 9th 21 12:31 AM

NNTP server recs please

wrote:

Greetings All,
Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one to continue to read the few
newsgroups I still participate in.

I use GigaNews, their $7.99 a month service. It works VERY well.

Jon

gray_wolf February 9th 21 04:08 AM

NNTP server recs please

On 08/02/2021 6:31 pm, Jon Elson wrote:
wrote:

Greetings All,
Altopia sent me an email telling me they will no longer be providing
NNTP service. So I need a new one to continue to read the few
newsgroups I still participate in.

I use GigaNews, their $7.99 a month service. It works VERY well.

Jon

us.newsleecher.com

Pricing

The $3.99 package does not include USENET downloads from Newsleecher, only the
use of their search service. The Pure Usenet package is USENET access only and
the Ready-to-Go package offers both the search service and USENET access.
Name Price Download Limits Connections
Client Plus $3.99/month Search Only, No Downloads None
Pure Usenet $9.49/month Unlimited 30
Ready-to-Go $11.99/month Unlimited + Newsreader 30

Fox's Mercantile February 9th 21 04:35 AM

NNTP server recs please

On 2/8/21 6:31 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
I use GigaNews, their $7.99 a month service. It works VERY well.

Jon

That's what I use.
I haven't had any problems with it.

--