Orange

Default Hot Glue

I'd like to use hot glue to stick battery holder to PCB (motherboard).
Can high temperature of glue (170 to 200 C) damage PCB?
Any tips for using hot glue?
--
"Why should you care if you have nothing to hide?"-- J. Edgar Hoover

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

"Orange" skrev i en meddelelse

Can high temperature of glue (170 to 200 C) damage PCB?

Hotmelt glue is poured liberally over many types of electronic circuit
boards in a production environment so, No - it's Ok.

Any tips for using hot glue?

Allow plenty of time for the glue gun to warm up - more than you think is
reasonable - otherwise the glue will not stick properly!
Place a newspaper under the glue gun - it will leak stick to the table when
warm enough!
Whatever you glue must be clean & dry!

petrus bitbyter

"Orange" schreef in bericht
I'd like to use hot glue to stick battery holder to PCB (motherboard).
Can high temperature of glue (170 to 200 C) damage PCB?
Any tips for using hot glue?
--
"Why should you care if you have nothing to hide?"-- J. Edgar Hoover

Hot melt glue has lower a temperature then the solder that is used to
connect the components. You should be sure the glue to be on its processing
temperature and the objects should be clean and dry. (Like for every glue
job.) Use a tissue and ethanol to achieve this. I prefer to use double sided
tape to fix things like battery holders.

petrus bitbyter

---

DemoDisk

Is it possible to REMOVE hot melt glue from a motherboard?? I would like to
replace a Vartec barrel-type battery that was plunked into a blob of
something and then soldered to the board.

"Frithiof Andreas Jensen"
wrote in message . ..

"Orange" skrev i en meddelelse

Can high temperature of glue (170 to 200 C) damage PCB?

Hotmelt glue is poured liberally over many types of electronic circuit
boards in a production environment so, No - it's Ok.

Any tips for using hot glue?

Allow plenty of time for the glue gun to warm up - more than you think is
reasonable - otherwise the glue will not stick properly!
Place a newspaper under the glue gun - it will leak stick to the table

when
warm enough!
Whatever you glue must be clean & dry!

gothika

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:11:22 +0200, "Frithiof Andreas Jensen"
wrote:

"Orange" skrev i en meddelelse
.. .

Can high temperature of glue (170 to 200 C) damage PCB?

Hotmelt glue is poured liberally over many types of electronic circuit
boards in a production environment so, No - it's Ok.

Any tips for using hot glue?

Allow plenty of time for the glue gun to warm up - more than you think is
reasonable - otherwise the glue will not stick properly!
Place a newspaper under the glue gun - it will leak stick to the table when
warm enough!
Whatever you glue must be clean & dry!

Another trick I've learned in spot glueing on PCB's is to prep the
area with a bit of solvent to give it more tack.
I use acetone on a swab. You can also use a bit of fine emery paper to
rough up the glue point.
low temp glue for low stress tacks on things like wires etc...
High temp glue for glueing major items on like battery holders etc...