Old February 7th 21, 05:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Checking ignition in 1990 Honda Civic Si, 1.6 liter.

On Monday, Feb 1, 2021, 4:32:24 AM (6 days ago), Peter Wieck wrote,
Have you _ever_ changed the fuel filter in 30 years?

My mother was the original owner and drove it until a few years ago.
The fuel filter could have been changed; I don't know. The user
manual calls for replacement every 96 Mm (megametres). Will change it
now and test again.

So we have established that it is not ignition, but fuel related?

Pulled the cable from plug 1 and connected an old plug. With just a
little cranking the engine started on 3 cylinders. Ran fairly well
for several minutes. The spark was absolutely visible. Yellow rather
than blue. As the engine heated it began to falter. Quit after about
10 minutes. Behavour entirely similar to what I reported originally.
Three cylinders quit a little sooner than four.

Feb 6, 2021, 9:08:20 PM (10 hours ago) Dave Garrett wrote,
Sorry for the delayed response. Should be under the dash near the
fusebox. Here's a thread with pictures that is specific to the CRX but
I'm fairly certain that most/all of the info contained within is
applicable to the Civic Si as well.

https://www.crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56535

Good thanks. After installing a new filter and testing, will resolder
the relay. This car might still be running in 2050. Electric drive
conversion kit? Run on ethanol then? =8~)

Thx, ... P.
Old February 8th 21, 04:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Without being snarky - and specifically based on your intention for this vehicle to run forever, a truly admirable ambition:

Let's be systematic.
a) You have confirmed a weak spark - yellow, and failing over a short period of time.
b) You have completed a maintenance task that while perhaps not 100% necessary is at least not a wasted effort - replacing the fuel filter.
c) Re-soldering the fuel-pump relay lugs is a good thing, again even if not absolutely necessary in hindsight - although if it cures the issue - all the better.
d) Next step would be the ignition control module/coil/distributor system. You may test the coil separately:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/attach...cture_3395.jpg

Or, purchase a complete assembly with all of it either new or reconditioned. I would hate for you to have to do more than what is necessary to effect the cure. Either way, a weak spark does suggest a coil - about a $15 ordeal from Amazon.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 8th 21, 10:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 11:03:41 AM UTC-5, Peter Easthope wrote:

Pulled the cable from plug 1 and connected an old plug. With just a
little cranking the engine started on 3 cylinders. Ran fairly well
for several minutes. The spark was absolutely visible. Yellow rather
than blue. As the engine heated it began to falter. Quit after about
10 minutes. Behavour entirely similar to what I reported originally.
Three cylinders quit a little sooner than four.

You didn't follow the instructions properly. The steps were to look at the spark when it was cold and running well, then looking again after it crapped out. By running the car with the plug in the cylinder disconnected, you were pumping unburned fuel into the cat - which is why I worded it as I did. Pumping unburned gas into the cat is a fine way to melt it down in minutes. Hopefully this didn't happen.

"As the engine heated it began to falter."

What began to falter?? The engine, the spark, both?
Old February 9th 21, 06:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mr. Easthope is insisting on an non-linear approach, sadly. Which will lead to needless frustration and many blind alleys.

Let's start over with what we know right now:

a) The fuel filter has been replaced.
b) The main relay does not affect the spark. But re-soldering it is not a bad thing.
c) Parsing what was written by Mr. Easthope +/-4:32 am on February 1, 2021, when cold the car presents a yellow (weak) spark, when hot, no spark at all.
d) No spark at all pretty much eliminates a fuel issue as the primary culprit - and given the new filter, even that is unlikely.
e) Leaving spark.

So, in a linear (logical) fashion what could cause a thermal fault that causes a weak , then no spark?
a) Coil - thermal faults are exceedingly common in coils. If the coil is OEM, that becomes the first suspect.
1. Coils are cheap. $15 or so from Amazon.
2. Coils are easy to install - perhaps 15 minutes on a bad day, with the correct tools and good light.
b) Ignition Control Module - not so cheap ($26 or so) and a little fussier to install.
c) Distributor Module - From as little as $90 to as much as $200 - and as you suggest, covers all the bases. Requires a certain amount of care to install. I am not sufficiently familiar with Hondas to know if timing is an issue with a new distributor, or if it is all via the Hall-sensor. There is a Hall Sensor, so I suspect the latter.

Best of luck, Peter! Looks like you are going to need it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old February 9th 21, 11:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:33:10 PM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:

c) Parsing what was written by Mr. Easthope +/-4:32 am on February 1, 2021, when cold the car presents a yellow (weak) spark, when hot, no spark at all.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I'm not sure that's what he meant!

Here's his quote:

"With just a
little cranking the engine started on 3 cylinders. Ran fairly well
for several minutes. The spark was absolutely visible. Yellow rather
than blue. As the engine heated it began to falter. Quit after about
10 minutes. Behavour entirely similar to what I reported originally. "

"As the engine heated *it* began to falter." That "it" could mean either the spark began to falter or the engine did...

Old February 10th 21, 01:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sequence-of-tense and basic grammar dictate that "it" is the engine that is faltering. After which presumption begins. Therein lies the danger.

Point being that in a technical discussion, words matter. "But you know what I mean...." does not apply. All we know is what is written. Mr. Easthope is not pursuing this problem with either rigor or logic. All we can do is be clear and concise in what we suggest within the limits presented.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 10th 21, 05:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/10/21 6:08 AM, Peter W. wrote:
All we can do is be clear and concise in what we suggest within the limits presented.

This UseNet, that will never happen.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0