Old January 13th 21, 09:20 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reviewing a cheap CRT degaussing wand

On 13/01/2021 1:08 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

**I have always been an audio tech. I have always avoided TV work where
possible. However, back in the day, I would frequently perform a CRT
degauss, using my Han-D-Mag head demagnetiser. I found that it could
deal with any degaussing requirement.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tape-hea...-/271234117484

Geez, they're expensive nowadays. I still have mine.

** I once acquired a demagnetiser that, far as I could tell, was incapable of demagnetising anything.
Had no effect on tape heads or the tiniest screwdrivers. It was the Teac E1 as listed in your link.

So acting on a hunch, I made a coil of enamel wire ( about 15 turns) just big enough to slip over the head concerned and energised it from a small 6.3V tranny. The coil would get quite hot in about 30 seconds.

While energised, I popped it over the head and slowly removed it far away.

Totally worked on even the most magnetised heads.

Necessity is .......

**My Han-D-Mag demagnetises everything. Heads, TV screens, screwdrivers,
etc. As for necessity, I had a Naka in the other day and my part time
employee told me that the Han-D-Mag was too big to reach the heads. I
dug out this crappy little demag I bought years ago. Didn't work.
Stripped it down, re-wound the coil with thicker wire and ran it off
12VAC. Works a treat.

BTW: I have this neat and VERY sensitive magnetometer used to test for
residual magnetism.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old January 13th 21, 09:21 AM posted to rec.games.video.arcade,sci.electronics.repair

On 13/01/2021 5:50 pm, John Robertson wrote:
On 2021/01/12 5:48 p.m., Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 13/01/2021 7:48 am, Rayner Lucas wrote:
Hi all. This post is a review of the cheap "green stick" CRT degaussing
wands, as I haven't found much discussion of them and some other
repairers of vintage monitors may find it useful.

CRT degaussing tools seem to be hard to find these days. Occasional used

In summary,

Pros:
- Cheap.
- Does what it's supposed to.

Cons:
- Not particularly sturdy.
- Probably not the safest thing ever, use with caution.

If there were better-quality tools available, I would definitely buy
those instead. But there weren't, and this one did at least provide the
functionality I needed.

HTH,
Rayner

**I have always been an audio tech. I have always avoided TV work
where possible. However, back in the day, I would frequently perform a
CRT degauss, using my Han-D-Mag head demagnetiser. I found that it
could deal with any degaussing requirement.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tape-hea...-/271234117484

Geez, they're expensive nowadays. I still have mine.

A bit cheaper on this side of the pond:

https://www.atrtape.com/products/han-d-mag

John :-#)#

**That's more like it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old January 13th 21, 10:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:
==================

I use a large Weller Soldering Gun when I can't find one of the
degaussing coils in the shop...

I also used the Weller or what ever Gun I had handy on the old CRTs.

Just about any coil of wire will work that does not draw too much
current.

You need something that puts out a large AC field - like the unshielded
transformer used in soldering guns.

** Utter nonsense.

Such trannies radiate SFA mag fileld.

An electric heating coil has a very small magnetic field,

** But that is *not* what a soldering gun loop is.

Single turn sure - but a carrying about 250 amps !!.

So, at close range the same as a 25 turn coil carrying 10 amps.

Much like the example I posted earlier that WORKED like a treat.

....... Phil

Old January 13th 21, 01:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://www.zoro.com/gc-electronics-...17/i/G2187702/

https://www.travers.com/portable-mag... Aqo7EALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/i/123990657206?...evt=1&mkcid=28

Guys and gals - these things are available OTC here in the US. Why not in the UK? Oh, but they a

https://www.bartington.com/degaussing-wand/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CRT-M...AOxyKsZRwen D

For a one-off use, I would likely stick to the soldering gun - does the trick, even if used "off-label". I bring my 100/300 watt Craftsman gun to Kutztown for the occasional chassis connection, and it is as often as not borrowed by the TV guys for cleaning up the old TV pictures, but seldom for soldering.

But if I had to do this every day, or even every week, I would likely invest in a purpose-built device from a reliable maker and reliable source. As I am fond of writing: The Internet is your friend!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 13th 21, 04:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I thought most crt screens had a coil around then that helped degauss
them every time they are turned on. Unless someone puts a magnet near
the screen I doubt that many would need degausing.

They do. And, whereas I am not in the vintage CRT hobby, there are any number of applications and any number of reasons why the on-board degausser may not be there, adequate, or even functional. There was (RIP) an individual not far away whose hobby was restoring video arcade games - commercial grade - with the big Curtis-Mathis CRTs in them. And he had half-a-dozen (at least) degaussers of various types and natures that he used regularly. But, apparently, failure of the on-board degausser was common enough that he was prepared.

I keep some small, but very powerful magnets with me most of the time - is that painted pipe steel, copper, or possibly something else? Or that light can? What grade stainless *might* that be? And they will stick to most flat-screens - but not cause any distortion. But get one within 10" or so of the big Sony 32" CRT TV (c. 2001) at home and watch the show. Of course, the on-board coil works on that one, still.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old January 13th 21, 07:54 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/13/2021 9:11 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
For a one-off use, I would likely stick to the soldering gun - does the trick, even if used "off-label". I bring my 100/300 watt Craftsman gun to Kutztown for the occasional chassis connection, and it is as often as not borrowed by the TV guys for cleaning up the old TV pictures, but seldom for soldering.

But if I had to do this every day, or even every week, I would likely invest in a purpose-built device from a reliable maker and reliable source. As I am fond of writing: The Internet is your friend!

I thought most crt screens had a coil around then that helped degauss
them every time they are turned on. Unless someone puts a magnet near
the screen I doubt that many would need degausing.

With almost everything switching to the flat screens there is probably
very little need for a dedicated degausing coil unless your shop
specilizes in restoring old electronics. Hard for me to see any shop or
one doing much work would not have a soldering gun that could be used.
Maybe many do not know the soldering gun could be used.

*30+ years ago, I put two automotive speakers with big magnets near my
TV. It caused a problem on both sides of the screen.

Turning it on and off, hoping the internal degausser would fix didn't.
Even waiting for the PTC to cool.

I used my soldering gun and that fixed it.

I found this at $48,

https://www.zoro.com/gc-electronics-...gclsrc =3p.ds
************************* ***** Mikek

Old January 13th 21, 10:47 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
=================

I thought most crt screens had a coil around then that helped degauss
them every time they are turned on. Unless someone puts a magnet near
the screen I doubt that many would need degausing.

** Correct = ALL crt colour TVs and monitors have automatic degaussing at switch on.
Most monitors have user operated de-gaussing as well.

TV techs may need a de-gausser for that rare event you mentioned .

Maybe many do not know the soldering gun could be used.

** Such guns are getting hard to find.
Demand is so low, few wholesalers stock them.

...... Phil
Old January 14th 21, 12:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

** Correct = ALL crt colour TVs and monitors have automatic degaussing at switch on.
Most monitors have user operated de-gaussing as well.

TV techs may need a de-gausser for that rare event you mentioned .

Maybe many do not know the soldering gun could be used.

** Such guns are getting hard to find.
Demand is so low, few wholesalers stock them.

Except for the shops that restore old devices with CRTs in them I doubt
that very many shops even work on the CRT units. You can buy some of
the newer LCDs for what it would cost for many shops to look at the
older sets of the same size screens. I am not sure if any TV sets that
had the CRTs in them are even capabile of the new format of the TV
signals with out a converter.

I do know of one man and wife that still use the old set with the
satalite dish. To top it all off he was an electronics engineer with
the Bell and Western Electric system. He is 80 years old and somehow
seems to mostly be stuck in the years before transistors. He is a ham
radio operator and has much gear produced from about 1930 to 1970 and
can work on that with no problem.

Local wholesellers may not stock them,but there are plenty on the
internet. Even Home Depot has them for about $ 45. About 5 years ago I
bought just the replacement housing for a gun I have had over 50 years.
I had dropped it several times during that time and the last time
finished off the housing. As just a hobbiest I do not use one very
much, but do not see how I could get along with out one. I do use the
SMD rework hot air and small iron most of the time.

You did jog my memory. I remember monitors that had the degauss switch
on them. They probably put that on them as many of the computers did
have speakers with magnets close to the screen.

Old January 14th 21, 02:15 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

You did jog my memory. I remember monitors that had the degauss switch
on them. They probably put that on them as many of the computers did
have speakers with magnets close to the screen.

** Never seen a PC speaker that did NOT use shielded magnets on the drivers.

FYI Consists of a second ferrite ring magnet to cancel external fields - plus a steel cover..

...... Phil