Old December 31st 20, 07:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is it with Molex?

I'm seeing a number of EOLs on (for us) rather standard pins and plugs!

Digikey just sent me this:

Manufacturer MOLEX, LLC
Description CONN 22-30AWG CRIMP TIN
Manufacturer Part Number 0008500114
Digi-Key Part Number WM1114-ND
Customer Reference Number STOCK
Status End Of Life
Last Time Buy Date 06/21/2021

You'd think a 50 year old design would just keep going and going...we
use a lot of these in repairing arcade games!

John :-#(#
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Old December 31st 20, 10:21 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

My guess is what is rather a lot for you is probably a few minutes of run for Molex. And tooling up for short runs is no longer economical for a 'just in time' era. Similarly resellers keeping items in stock. Look at your future, and order accordingly. Expect more of this. Manufacturers are learning just how lean they can be, and just how few people they need to survive - and very likely just how sloppy were their operations prior to this crisis.. Those jobs are NOT coming back, guys and gals. My guess is that there will be a surge in productivity per worker, but substantially fewer of them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 3rd 21, 10:40 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/31/2020 12:25 PM, John Robertson wrote:
I'm seeing a number of EOLs on (for us) rather standard pins and plugs!

Digikey just sent me this:

Manufacturer¬*¬*¬* MOLEX, LLC
Description¬*¬*¬* CONN 22-30AWG CRIMP TIN
Manufacturer Part Number¬*¬*¬* 0008500114
Digi-Key Part Number¬*¬*¬* WM1114-ND
Customer Reference Number¬*¬*¬* STOCK
Status¬*¬*¬* End Of Life
Last Time Buy Date¬*¬*¬* 06/21/2021

You'd think a 50 year old design would just keep going and going...we
use a lot of these in repairing arcade games!

John :-#(#

3D printing to the rescue. It's perfect for limited runs.

-J
Old January 4th 21, 12:17 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/01/03 1:40 p.m., John Crane wrote:
On 12/31/2020 12:25 PM, John Robertson wrote:
I'm seeing a number of EOLs on (for us) rather standard pins and plugs!

Digikey just sent me this:

Manufacturer¬*¬*¬* MOLEX, LLC
Description¬*¬*¬* CONN 22-30AWG CRIMP TIN
Manufacturer Part Number¬*¬*¬* 0008500114
Digi-Key Part Number¬*¬*¬* WM1114-ND
Customer Reference Number¬*¬*¬* STOCK
Status¬*¬*¬* End Of Life
Last Time Buy Date¬*¬*¬* 06/21/2021

You'd think a 50 year old design would just keep going and going...we
use a lot of these in repairing arcade games!

John :-#(#

3D printing to the rescue.¬* It's perfect for limited runs.

-J

I don't think we are going to be printing 0.100" crimp style folded
metal pins any time soon.

John ;-#)#

Old January 4th 21, 01:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 15:40:37 -0600, John Crane
wrote:

On 12/31/2020 12:25 PM, John Robertson wrote:
I'm seeing a number of EOLs on (for us) rather standard pins and plugs!

Digikey just sent me this:

Manufacturer*** MOLEX, LLC
Description*** CONN 22-30AWG CRIMP TIN
Manufacturer Part Number*** 0008500114
Digi-Key Part Number*** WM1114-ND
Customer Reference Number*** STOCK
Status*** End Of Life
Last Time Buy Date*** 06/21/2021

You'd think a 50 year old design would just keep going and going...we
use a lot of these in repairing arcade games!

John :-#(#

3D printing to the rescue. It's perfect for limited runs.
-J

I beg to differ. A required characteristic of 3D printing is that the
plastic material involved must melt when heated. That would be really
bad for a connector body. That has already happened in the RC (radio
control) XT-60 power connector area:
https://www.google.com/search?q=xt60+connector&tbm=isch
Most of them are made from molded nylon, which doesn't melt when
heated by soldering iron. However, some 3D printed ABS clones of
these connectors melts when soldered.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 4th 21, 09:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Crane wrote:

John Robertson wrote:

Digikey just sent me this:

Manufacturer¬*¬*¬* MOLEX, LLC
Description¬*¬*¬* CONN 22-30AWG CRIMP TIN
Manufacturer Part Number¬*¬*¬* 0008500114
Digi-Key Part Number¬*¬*¬* WM1114-ND
Customer Reference Number¬*¬*¬* STOCK
Status¬*¬*¬* End Of Life
Last Time Buy Date¬*¬*¬* 06/21/2021

3D printing to the rescue.¬* It's perfect for limited runs.

If it was the shells they were discontinuing maybe, rather than the pins.

Old January 4th 21, 04:48 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:25:22 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

I'm seeing a number of EOLs on (for us) rather standard pins and plugs!

Digikey just sent me this:

Manufacturer MOLEX, LLC
Description CONN 22-30AWG CRIMP TIN
Manufacturer Part Number 0008500114
Digi-Key Part Number WM1114-ND
Customer Reference Number STOCK
Status End Of Life
Last Time Buy Date 06/21/2021

You'd think a 50 year old design would just keep going and going...we
use a lot of these in repairing arcade games!

John :-#(#

Molex has part numbers comming out of their ears.

Chack for similar parts with different mfring locations,
finish, base metal, insulation diameter range or type
of physical delivery (eg chain-feed).

digikey hasn't been particularly savvy when it comes to
old part number discontinue notices, recently. Could even
be a mfrs new catalog typo. Have seen same thing with
Amphenol - complete bull**** if you're just looking
for something that has form, fit and function.

RL
Old January 5th 21, 06:43 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only version that is stretching past the EOL is the chain version of
the pin, and as I don't have an industrial cutter that is of little use
to me. There are clones made, but they are much poorer quality...

I ended up ordering 2500 pins from Mouser who had a better price and
also showed EOL ordering. That should last me a few years.

Old January 5th 21, 06:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

At that volume, you could probably have ordered a chain reel.

I don't see an issue, as these parts are easily 'singulated'
with cutters. Better resale value and lower shrinkage, if
left on reel, in box etc.

I actually find chains easier to handle, count, kit and even
install manually, one at a time. Cut out a short chain with
right number of terminals, then cut each one as you apply it.

RL