Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VIZIO Model # M550SV 55" randomly shuts off

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 9:54:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 6:31:05 PM UTC-5, Hilda Winkler wrote:
On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 4:37:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 3:50:05 PM UTC-5, Hilda Winkler wrote:
Hi Group, can someone help please. I have a VIZIO Model # M550SV 55" randomly shuts off/on.. I checked the voltages on power supply board all are correct.. after doing research online, there seems to be a firmware problem. i hooked up to their website, couldn't find any updates.. is there a fix to this TV, ???
That series is known for bad main boards that show all sorts of symptoms. No new ones are available, and used ones may put you in the same boat in a few months. Even when Vizio sells them, they are "recertified", which means they tested them to see if they work for 5 minutes and box them for sale. We've reflowed the BGA chip with inconsistent results but no longer take those in for service.

That TV can update its firmware when connected on-line, but it doesn't seem Vizio ever released a later version of the firmware it was shipped with.

is there a board number locater for this BGA chip, ??? I have a hot air soldering gun, im gonna try to reflow it. would 350 degree's for 2-3 minutes suffice???

It's the one under the silver heatsink. Remove the heatsink carefully because the sink will be stuck to the BGA. If you rip the BGA off the board, it's junk.

We've tried several profiles but they're hit or miss. Ideally it should be reballed or the chip outright replaced. Because of the drop in price for a new TV, we've stopped servicing this model.

I would go less on the temp, maybe 325C for 3 minutes tops. If it works, considering opening a hole in the back cover and adding a slow moving fan.

what direction is the fan moving, sucking out, or blowing in???
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 11:54:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It doesn't really matter. All you're trying to do is get a bit of air movement over the heatsink, and you'll get that either way as long as the fan is close enough to ensure the exhausted air is moving over the BGA heatsink and not around it. Even a relatively small amount of additional air movement over the heatsink will make a big difference in the operating temp of the BGA.