Old December 6th 20, 07:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default liquid electric tape?

Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

Old December 6th 20, 07:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/6/2020 10:49 AM, Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability?* How about melting
temperature in warmer environments?* Thanks.

I have used it on connections between coax and antennas. Never had a
problem. Regular PVC black electrical tape either splits or looses it's
sticky after two years due to the UV here in the Central Oregon desert.

Liquid tape in bottles turns solid after about two years.

Paul
Old December 6th 20, 08:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 13:49:08 -0500, Jezebels_couz
wrote:

Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

I bought a can of this stuff at the local hardware sto
https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Liquid-Electrical-Tape/dp/B0000AXNOD
My first use was to patch cracks and cuts in several expensive rubber
cables. It went on fairly easily but hardened a bit lumpy. It lasted
about a month before pieces started falling off. There might have
been some contamination (grease, hand oils, solvents) involved, but it
was too late to check. I later used it for rubber microphone coil
cords, which also crumbled after a few weeks of movement. This time,
I gave the cable an acetone wipe, which should have removed any
grease.

However, the lack of durability was not the major problem. It was the
can. No matter how hard I tried, I could not keep the rubber compound
from getting into the threads on the lid. Once the stuff hardened, it
was impossible to remove the lid. I tried various straps, clamps,
pliers, pipe wrenches, and solvents. Nothing would get the lid loose.
After losing the contents of 2 cans in this manner, I gave up and
decided to find something else.

No clue on melting temperature.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 7th 20, 01:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/6/2020 12:49 PM, Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability?* How about melting
temperature in warmer environments?* Thanks.

*I used liquid Tape to repair a large nick in the insulation of a heavy
duty extension cord over 25 years ago.

*The cord is still great (but very heavy) the repair is fine and I
never thought about it melting, but I'm in Florida and I never noticed
it soften.

Wish I could till you the brand and if they still make it the same way.

************************* ********** Mikek

Old December 7th 20, 02:48 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

I used some liquid electric tape about five year ago. It was to
insulate a joint in a cable supplying the pump in a waterfall. It is a
few inches under a lawn. It gets frozen in winter and baked in summer.
I think it is Loctite brand.

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

Old December 7th 20, 04:02 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

Unless you have some special requirement I would advice self-amalgamating
tape instead.
Old December 9th 20, 11:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/06/20 13:49, Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability?* How about melting
temperature in warmer environments?* Thanks.

Check Glyptal.
Old December 10th 20, 09:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'm a regular with liquid nails when wiring up construction sites and I know the feeling trying to recover goop, sparkle, other tube/can/bottle contents. I guess ultimately two channel locks going in opposite directions might crush or damage the bottle if wet rags don't cushion the jaws. I've seen where you could use a belt to unscrew an oil filter near a car's engine for an oil change.

Old February 1st 21, 06:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann used his or her keyboard to write :

It lasted
about a month before pieces started falling off.

My experience is similar.
Old February 3rd 21, 06:20 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 1:49:13 PM UTC-5, Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

I tried it once. Was not impressed, seemed to crack off after a while.
What I have used that I really like is rubber electrical tape. Ethylene propylene and silicone rubber electrical tapes have the highest dielectric rating of electrical tapes, as much at 70KV. I use 3M 2228.
I learned about this stuff during my first engineering job in a blast furnace construction site. the controls I designed interfaced to some beefy motors. One of the electricians that followed me around was tasked to replace one of the motors because it was not what I specified. As I watched him wire the new motor, he used that rubber electrical tape. Neat stuff-the overlapping wraps fuse together to make a rubber jacket. Long lasting in hot and cold environments. Follow up with a few wraps of good electrical tape - I like 3M 88 or for everyday use, super 33.
Good luck