Old February 3rd 21, 07:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default liquid electric tape?

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 21:20:47 -0800 (PST), Three Jeeps
wrote:

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 1:49:13 PM UTC-5, Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

I tried it once. Was not impressed, seemed to crack off after a while.
What I have used that I really like is rubber electrical tape. Ethylene propylene and silicone rubber electrical tapes have the highest dielectric rating of electrical tapes, as much at 70KV. I use 3M 2228.
I learned about this stuff during my first engineering job in a blast furnace construction site. the controls I designed interfaced to some beefy motors. One of the electricians that followed me around was tasked to replace one of the motors because it was not what I specified. As I watched him wire the new motor, he used that rubber electrical tape. Neat stuff-the overlapping wraps fuse together to make a rubber jacket. Long lasting in hot and cold environments. Follow up with a few wraps of good electrical tape - I like 3M 88 or for everyday use, super 33.
Good luck

It costs about $1/ft:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-10-ft-x-0-065-in-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical-Tape-Black-50727-BA-5/202195402
I've used it on radio towers and found a problem. The self-fusing
glue is so tenacious, that removing it from a connector is almost
impossible. For situations where you're certain it never needs to be
removed, it's great and quite waterproof. For RF connectors that need
to be removed, I use 1" wide PTFE (Teflon) tape for waterproofing,
covered with 1 or 2 layers of Scotch 66 to hold it in place. When the
tape wrap is removed, the connectors look like new.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272

Old February 4th 21, 02:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

There is a product called Sugru, it's not liquid but rather a very resilient rubber putty. Cures in a few hours, It's mold-able and comes in several colors. I've used it to repair things and reinforce cords where they exit devices. Handy stuff.
Old February 10th 21, 07:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, good point - it is rather tenacious. If the connection needs to be reworked in the future, it is a little tough to remove it. I've tried teflon tape on occasion and found that it slides and shifts around so much that it is hard to get a clean wrap so to speak. One good thing is that teflon tape has a very high dielectric strength, something like 6kv at 0.001 inch thick, (or is it 0.001? i forget). It would do quite well in RF applications.
Old February 12th 21, 01:54 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Late on this, but there is a material called Bond-Tech GS 112 rated for electronics and cables. It is also food-safe and stable (solid) to 85C +/- 5C. This stuff is NOT meant to be re-worked, nor would I think that any liquid-applied material would work well that way. It would have to dry out in a way that does not adhere to the substrate to be easily removable. Which seems contrary to the intent, unless very temporary.

Just a thought.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 21st 21, 10:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

What are some foreign equivalents to the jeep or Humvee (HMMWV)?

Old February 21st 21, 01:21 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

G-Wagon
Unimog

Borh by Daimler.

Wolf by Land Rover

Sherpa by Renault

All that I can think of, offhand. There must be more.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
What are some foreign equivalents to the jeep or Humvee (HMMWV)?

Old February 26th 21, 01:23 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 7:21:14 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
G-Wagon
Unimog

Borh by Daimler.

Wolf by Land Rover

Sherpa by Renault

All that I can think of, offhand. There must be more.
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
What are some foreign equivalents to the jeep or Humvee (HMMWV)?

In WWII, the japanese used something called the type 95 by Tokyu Kurogane Industries and I guess you could remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen (type 82) from Hogan's Heroes.
Old February 26th 21, 06:38 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:23:35 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
wrote:

On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 7:21:14 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
G-Wagon
Unimog

Borh by Daimler.

Wolf by Land Rover

Sherpa by Renault

All that I can think of, offhand. There must be more.
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
What are some foreign equivalents to the jeep or Humvee (HMMWV)?

In WWII, the japanese used something called the type 95 by Tokyu Kurogane Industries and I guess you could remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen (type 82) from Hogan's Heroes.

The Russian Lada Niva is considered one of the most rugged SUVs.