Old November 30th 20, 11:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default making wires on circuit board immobile but able to be removed later?

I am in the process of modifying a circuit by adding a small external
circuit board and then wiring into the main board. I don't want the
wires to move around when I'm done, but yet if I ever need to make
repairs, I want to be able to remove them. I see some people using hot
glue for such matters, but I don't think I'd be able to desolder the
wires later without using a lot of force to remove the hot glue first.
What could I use?

Old December 1st 20, 12:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 6:00:11 PM UTC-6, RD wrote:
In article ,
says...
I am in the process of modifying a circuit by adding a small external
circuit board and then wiring into the main board. I don't want the
wires to move around when I'm done, but yet if I ever need to make
repairs, I want to be able to remove them. I see some people using hot

[snip]

Silicone. Lots of different brands & formulations
(RTV, Goop, etc.)

Dab a small bit on an unused corner of the board
and let it dry, to see if it can be peeled off
cleanly.

HTH

Not great advice, as most silicones cure with acetic acid, which corrodes circuit boards.
If you must use silicone, use one that is specifically safe for electronics. There are only a few.
Old December 1st 20, 12:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

=======================

Not great advice, as most silicones cure with acetic acid, which corrodes circuit boards.
If you must use silicone, use one that is specifically safe for electronics. There are only a few.

** Just get one labelled " Neutral Cure "

These are safe to use with metals like copper and tin.

...... Phil
Old December 1st 20, 02:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/30/20 6:34 PM, Chuck wrote:
I am in the process of modifying a circuit by adding a small external
circuit board and then wiring into the main board.* I don't want the
wires to move around when I'm done, but yet if I ever need to make
repairs, I want to be able to remove them.* I see some people using hot
glue for such matters, but I don't think I'd be able to desolder the
wires later without using a lot of force to remove the hot glue first.
What could I use?

Cyanoacrylate with accelerator. It sets fast, cracks off really easily
and can be cleaned up with acetone.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Old December 1st 20, 09:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2020-12-01 00:34, Chuck wrote:
I am in the process of modifying a circuit by adding a small external
circuit board and then wiring into the main board.* I don't want the
wires to move around when I'm done, but yet if I ever need to make
repairs, I want to be able to remove them.* I see some people using hot
glue for such matters, but I don't think I'd be able to desolder the
wires later without using a lot of force to remove the hot glue first.
What could I use?

Hot glue will soften when heated with a (controlled) heat gun, before
the electronics get damaged. Wires can easily be removed then.
Just experiment a bit on some old PCB.

Arie
Old December 1st 20, 12:48 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

From the literatu

3M 3748 Hot Melt Overview
The 3M 3748 is a unique hot melt adhesive often used in electronic assembly because it provides excellent thermal shock resistance and is non-corrosive to copper. The 3M 3748 also provides an excellent bond to polyolefins. The 3M 3748 also comes in a self-extinguishing version that meets UL 1410 requirements, 3M 3748VO.

Good stuff. And if you want to crack it off, a few minutes in the freezer makes it very easy to handle.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...data-sheet.pdf

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old December 1st 20, 01:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2020-12-01 00:34, Chuck wrote:
I am in the process of modifying a circuit by adding a small external
circuit board and then wiring into the main board.* I don't want the
wires to move around when I'm done, but yet if I ever need to make
repairs, I want to be able to remove them.* I see some people using
hot glue for such matters, but I don't think I'd be able to desolder
the wires later without using a lot of force to remove the hot glue
first. What could I use?

Hot glue will soften when heated with a (controlled) heat gun, before
the electronics get damaged. Wires can easily be removed then.
Just experiment a bit on some old PCB.

Arie

And, use only enough to hold the wire, not so much that it is hard to
remove.

Old December 1st 20, 02:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you're gluing to a bare board and bare
traces that may be true, but it's rare to
find a board that isn't conformal coated
nowadays.

Conventional RTV silicones outgas acetic acid for some period up to days - long after it is 'cured' for practical purposes. And that acetic acid will attack exposed metals of many types, including 304 and 316 stainless steel. And, worse, if that silicon is in a confined area such as an enclosed chassis, the damage could be inches away from the source.

Peter WIeck
Melrose Park, PA