Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 3D Printer

I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:11:39 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

When you get it, I could use a set of Philco 60 knobs in black ...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I will let you know. But in the meantime, have you tried "Gobs-of-Knobs" (Mike Koste)? gomike at gmail dot com

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 9:11:39 AM UTC-6, Arthritic Peter W. queefed:
I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner

Look at you! These machines are a little to advanced for you. You'd never learn how to calibrate it. I suggest you stick with play-doh.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unlike the **** you post, your help is neither helpful or useful.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:00:00 AM UTC-6, Frustrated Comic boy yelled:

Unlike the **** you post, your help is neither helpful or useful.

Now you're starting to get it. Good for you. Good for you Jeff. lol.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:11:39 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I've heard good things about the Ender 3 at a price point of around $200, I think. But I don't have one myself so can't confirm.

You've never done the software? Umm. Be prepared for a learning curve, I've struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:05:00 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I agree about the learning curve. I have the Da Vinci 1.0A and decided to update the firmware with repetier. I've tried all the slicers but stuck with slic3r. I wouldn't suggest an all-in-one for the OP for help. The scanner on these machines aren't very good. He could buy a handheld or 3d print parts to use a cell phone and just render on the pc. lol.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/4/20 10:02 AM, Edward H. wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:00:00 AM UTC-6, Frustrated Comic boy yelled:

Unlike the **** you post, your help is neither helpful or useful.

Now you're starting to get it. Good for you. Good for you Jeff. lol.

You realize what you did said?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:11:39 AM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter, there are several discussions about 3D printing on the Tekscopes forum. Tektronix knobs have a lot more detail than radios used, but people are happy with the results. They have recommended the proper plastics, printers and software. Be advised, to anyone who wants to join, not just read. You will be kicked to the curb if you are an asshole. If you do get set up, you can post files so others can make the same part without starting from scratch. It can either be public, or private but if others add their files it would save a lot of time and headaches. You could even set it up at a show and demonstrate how it works.

Here is a link to read the group. You can find a link to join, if you are interested in Tektronix equipment.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/topics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 10:17:25 AM UTC-6, Stroke victim Jeff wrote:

You realize what you did said?

I thought you knew how to write in English Jeff. "what you did said" lol.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You've never done the software? Umm. Be prepared for a learning curve, I've struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.

I am not so worried about the software. It has to have its roots in some CAD system from some source, and all that aside, I do use some other fairly complex systems every day such as Metasys, not to mention the standard Microsoft Office suite. Yes, I am prepared for the learning curve and I have a good deal of patience (other than for fools). You Tube can be a mixed bag, but often quite useful. Early on, I will be duplicating rather than creating, hence the need for a scanner. I also spent a number of years as a machinist - back in the day.

I tripped over a lot of Porto-Baradios, and, amazingly and from separate sources (thrift-stores), three complete sets of glassware up to and including the swizzle-sticks. Between the five (5) of them, at this point I need a total of six handles, two faceplates and four knobs. I could cast them, but a 3D printer would, in my opinion, a better option once I got the first ones done properly. And there would be a brisk market for them at Kutztown. I will look into the Ender as well as any other forthcoming suggestions. The kids want to get this for me for Christmas, and I will give them a "matching grant" to increase their budget, if needed. But right now, they have agreed on a rough budget of $250 each towards this.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...stewart-warner

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:07:02 AM UTC-6, Silent Peter W. replied:

What's up Pony Pete! I've been waiting for you buddy. Looks like your ignoring the monster you helped create. What gives? If you start a game you have to see it through. Only way out is to concede. Swallow your pride and not Jeff. lol.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Edward H. wrote:

****head Edward Hernandez has shown himself to be quite the troll.

This is to remind everyone of the Usenet rule for trolls.

*Don't Feed The Troll*

Ignoring it will make it go away best. Yes, it will flail around
helplessly for a while, but eventually it will tire and go away.

So just killfile it and be done with his stupidity.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 12:30:23 PM UTC-6, Hacker Pete W cawed:

Blah blah

Boo! Ahahaha. You two are so easily made to respond. What was it your pony rider said? "Predictable". The moment you clowns came across me, you both lost. Should have been nicer. lol.

And Profanity as well! What a treat. Gets better everyday while you two continue to shrivel.

Ignoring me? So your little "army of one" tactic didn't work so well? Awwww. Chat with you soon. I'm not going any where.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:30:23 PM UTC-5, Don't Feed The Troll wrote:
Edward H. wrote:

****head Edward Hernandez has shown himself to be quite the troll.

This is to remind everyone of the Usenet rule for trolls.

*Don't Feed The Troll*

Ignoring it will make it go away best. Yes, it will flail around
helplessly for a while, but eventually it will tire and go away.

So just killfile it and be done with his stupidity.

Ordinarily I would agree, but we're kind of fascinated watching Jeff making Edward (Charger Boy) Herpesdez do the sit and spin. Once our over/under pool is won, we'll killfile him. Right now he's providing both amusement - sort of like watching a mouse in a maze.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 12:52:57 PM UTC-6, Weirdo wrote:
Blah blah

It makes me smile to think not long ago you three clowns were roaming around this forum thinking you were "it". Then a few of you grinned when my little post popped up. Thinking I was an easy mark. Surprise! There is no pool when the mouse is upsetting the cats. lol. Pete says it's best to ignore me and I'll go away. Guess what I made him do just now? That's right, he responded. Meow.

Besides, who on earth are you? Tag-along? No worries, your welcome to join.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I dunno - given the over-under, I agree in delaying any killfiling until that is past.

Eddie reminds me of the Vanishing Bird that flies in ever decreasing circles until it finally disappears up its own asshole. We have established that:

it has a great deal of time on its hands.
it has nothing better to do.
it can be manipulated predictably by a simple automated reply message.
its fulminations are amusing in a sad and pathetic way.

Suggesting that it has no life, and needs this sort of interaction in order to feel alive.

Ah, well. Killfiling it is as easy as tweaking it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:23:29 PM UTC-6, Old Pete croaked:
I dunno - given the over-under, I agree in delaying any killfiling until that is past.

Eddie reminds me of the Vanishing Bird that flies in ever decreasing circles until it finally disappears up its own asshole. We have established that:

You mean a vulture right? Like the two who circled around my post? Check.

it has a great deal of time on its hands.

This will be your downfall old man.
it has nothing better to do.

It's called multi-tasking. Which is why you probably should give up on getting a 3D Printer. A bit over your head.

it can be manipulated predictably by a simple automated reply message.

Yeah a fell for it in the beginning. Big whopp. That was your herculean effort? Pretty weak.

its fulminations are amusing in a sad and pathetic way.

Awww, I think you and Jiff are the ones who lose control. Your last reply was evidence enough. I've been in control this entire time. You're losing Pete.

Suggesting that it has no life, and needs this sort of interaction in order to feel alive.

Then you should concede now if you've already gathered I won't quite.

Ah, well. Killfiling it is as easy as tweaking it.

Give it your best shot pony. You're all talk and hide behind silly post tricks. You're as weak as your vocabulary.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/4/20 1:23 PM, Peter W. wrote:
Eddie reminds me of the Vanishing Bird that flies in ever
decreasing circles until it finally disappears up its own
asshole.

That was referenced in Allan Sherman's book The Rape of The
Ape. (1975)
https://www.amazon.com/Rape-Ape-Allan-Sherman/dp/B000K72JHU
It is called the Gigi Bird.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/11/2020 2:11 am, Peter W. wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

**Not that it is applicable to you, but I was really surprised when I
visited my local public library last year, only to find that they had a
high end 3D printer available for use by those who held a (free) library
card. It may not suit you, but it would be likely cost-effective.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 3:23:43 PM UTC-6, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 11/4/20 1:23 PM, Peter W. wrote:
Eddie reminds me of the Vanishing Bird that flies in ever
decreasing circles until it finally disappears up its own
asshole.

That was referenced in Allan Sherman's book The Rape of The
Ape. (1975)
https://www.amazon.com/Rape-Ape-Allan-Sherman/dp/B000K72JHU
It is called the Gigi Bird.
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com

Jebus.. that's something huh?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think you will find it hard to get a budget 3D scanner and 3D
printer to make acceptable knobs with any type of fine detail. Or fine
finishes for that matter. Some folks print stuff using ABS and then
polish the stuff in an acetone vapor chamber of some sort. That can
work pretty well. But still the best resolution of inexpensive
printers is ends up to be, in a practical sense, about .25mm, or .010"
at the finest. The cheapest 3D scanners that will scan stuff to a
resolution of .1mm, or .004" start at about 700 bucks.
Eric

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 07:11:35 -0800 (PST), "Peter W."
wrote:

I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 11/4/20 1:23 PM, Peter W. wrote:
Eddie reminds me of the Vanishing Bird that flies in ever
decreasing circles until it finally disappears up its own
asshole.

That was referenced in Allan Sherman's book The Rape of The
Ape. (1975)
https://www.amazon.com/Rape-Ape-Allan-Sherman/dp/B000K72JHU
It is called the Gigi Bird.

That reference sounds a bit highbrow and literary ... I know
it as the "Oozlum Bird" from the UK "Carry On Up The Jungle"
film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oozlum_bird

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We have the Ooh-Ahh bird - a one-pound bird that lays a two-pound egg. Some say a square egg - but we all know that is anatomically impossible!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 7:20:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think you will find it hard to get a budget 3D scanner and 3D
printer to make acceptable knobs with any type of fine detail. Or fine
finishes for that matter. Some folks print stuff using ABS and then
polish the stuff in an acetone vapor chamber of some sort. That can
work pretty well. But still the best resolution of inexpensive
printers is ends up to be, in a practical sense, about .25mm, or .010"
at the finest. The cheapest 3D scanners that will scan stuff to a
resolution of .1mm, or .004" start at about 700 bucks.
Eric

I'm only familiar with the hot plastic style of 3D printer. They have them at the local library and before COVID I was able to watch them build some impressive sculptures (with kids working on them.)

I did not realize there was another kind with higher resolution available until I saw an ad for 3D printed trumpet mouthpieces, and the required finish and resolution is much higher, so they are using a cured resin approach.

I found this link:
https://all3dp.com/1/best-resin-dlp-...eolithography/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 12:07:02 PM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
You've never done the software? Umm. Be prepared for a learning curve, I've struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.

I am not so worried about the software. It has to have its roots in some CAD system from some source,

Yes, it's CAD, but the approach is a little different. Where I think of drawing as an additive process, the approach here seems to be start with a larger shape and subtract elements.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 9:48:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I built a resin printer using a projector and CD/DVD drive from an old PC. Resin is stinky and requires a space with vents and fans. It can get messy. Results or "ok". The price of these machines continues to drop and I'll probably end up grabbing a decent one soon.

https://www.instructables.com/Chimer...in-3d-printer/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 9:50:30 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 12:07:02 PM UTC-5, Peter W. wrote:
You've never done the software? Umm. Be prepared for a learning curve, I've struggled and I'm an engineer who had to take drawing and CAD in school. But for what you want you're probably okay, lots of youtube videos.

I am not so worried about the software. It has to have its roots in some CAD system from some source,

Yes, it's CAD, but the approach is a little different. Where I think of drawing as an additive process, the approach here seems to be start with a larger shape and subtract elements.

I've used tinkercad.com to create a few items. It can get bogged down but it's a great site.

Netfabb is a must have. It fixes any issues with your objects after creation. It's free and helpful. https://service.netfabb.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 07:48:06 -0800 (PST), Tim R
wrote:

[...]

I wasn't even thinking of the resin printers. They can generally print
at a higher resolution than filament printers. They are limited though
to just several resin compounds. Filament printers have, as of now,
many more options. For printing small stuff like knobs a small resin
printer might just be the ticket. And you can get small ones for about
200 bucks. Which leaves more money for the scanner. Maybe Pete doesn't
even need a scanner with high resolution. He could scan at the low
resolution and then clean up the scan with a CAD program. That would
work. I have done similar stuff converting jpeg files into CAD files.
Eric

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hiya,

If Pete decided resin was the way to go I would highly recommend Anycubic Photon for about $200 or the ANYCUBIC Photon S which has "dual rails" for a bit more, $400 or less. Anycubic has a huge following on facebook and I've been following them for a few years. Everyone there is extremely nice and the information they provide is invaluable. I might grab the Photon S next year. The Build volume : 115 x 65 x 165 mm.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I am looking for suggestions on a 3D printer & scanner - either as one piece of hardware, or two. My needs are both small and simple. Such things as knobs, handles and similar parts with no dimension longer than about 5" (130mm). I don't need speed, but I would appreciate accuracy and the ability to reproduce details such as knurling and scrolling on small parts.

I am somewhat price driven, but not to the level of absurdity. Nor am I any sort of adept with the software, never having done it before. So, simple-is-good.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

---

Creality has a huge following on Facebook and support can be found in a lot of places. You can find parts for it in many places if required.
Creality Ender 3 for about $200. Nice build volume 220x220x250mm and heated bed for ABS filament. I recommend building an enclosure if using ABS to reduce warping.
The Creality CR-10S can be found for under $400 and has a large build volume 300 x 300 x 400mm. This is what I would replace my Da Vinci 1.0a with in the future. Beast of a machine and it costs less than what I paid for my machine.

*PS you will have to assemble these printers yourself. I didn't have any issues with the Ender 3 I bought my little brother. Prints better than mine..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 11:19:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

This is a great group. No nonsense, professional, civil, stays on topic. As pointed out, assholes are not tolerated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

At this point, and given a very successful track-record with smaller pieces, I will focus on making larger resin-castings rather than a 3D printer with perhaps-marginal resolution. The nice thing about silicon molds is that they may be used over and over after a little bit of care in the making. I will let 3D printer technology evolve for a bit before investing at what I see is the level necessary to be useful for my intentions.

Thank you for all your input.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA