Niel

Default Plug Wiring Reversed?

I just bought a house and the inspector tagged four of six basement
outlets as hot/neutral reversed.
I open the first two, see the problem, and fix it (one of two blacks
was going to silver and one of two whites was going to brass).
However, the other two "bad" outlets are already wired correctly
(white to silver/black to brass).
Plus, these two outlets have one set of wires (white/black/ground)
instead of two sets, which may not be a problem, but could be a clue.
Supposedly, if I switch the wires, the plugs won't be reversed
anymore. But that would put white on brass and black on silver.
Maybe the electrician got the white and black wrong at the head end,
wherever that is. So switching the two at the plugs will be the right
thing to do.
If the inspector was right, what is wrong with the wiring and how do I
fix it?
If the inspector was wrong, how could that be, as he was right about
two other plugs in the same room?
Or do I need to spend a couple of bucks on a sensor to check for
myself whether the inspector was right?
Michael A. Covington

If the inspector was right, what is wrong with the wiring and how do I
fix it?

Swap black and white at both ends. This involves working on your breaker
panel, which is dangerous. I recommend hiring an electrician.

If the inspector was wrong, how could that be, as he was right about
two other plugs in the same room?

He'll only be wrong if he mixed up his results after making measurements.

Or do I need to spend a couple of bucks on a sensor to check for
myself whether the inspector was right?

That's what I'd do. And don't let the erroneous situation persist.

bumtracks

my dad can wire recpts backwards
seems addicted to it.
his simple method works
1- gotta use a plastic box
2- and if something trips the breaker cut off its ground prong

"DanG" wrote in message
It sounds like you need to buy the gizmo. If the wiring was
crossed anywhere you have the potential for a "back fed" neutral.
If the color code was followed meticulously through the entire
circuit you will not have a problem. Sounds like some home wiring
went on at some time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Niel" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sam Goldwasser

(Niel) writes:

[...]

Spend a couple bucks and get an outlet tester.

Then, when you confirm that they are still bad. It's possible that the outlet
you fixed was upstream of one or both of the other miswired ones and all is
not well.

If not, it's possible that the outlets that test reversed are fed from
upstream outlets whic are miswired for the wiring feeding those outlets.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article ,
says...
[...]

Just buy one of those cheap things you plug into an outlet. It has 3
neons in it that can quickly find common wiring errors. Some versions also
have a button to create a leakage that should trigger a GFI outlet or
circuit breaker to trip. They are only a few bucks and well worth it. I've
found reverse wired outlets in apartments I've lived in.

Reverse wiring will not affect many basic items with non-polarized
plugs, but could create a hazard for items with polarized plugs or
grounded plugs that assume hot is on the narrow blade. Lamps are now wired
with polarized plugs so that the neutral is wired to the shell of the bulb
socket, and the hot to the center.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Jim Haynes

I had an inspector report that all of the outlets in my house were reverse
wired. It turned out that in fact they were three-wire outlets with no
ground wire. The house was built back before ground outlets were standard,
so they are all wired with two wires. Someone later replaced all the original
two-wire outlets with three-wire ones. Although this creates a false
sense of safety in that there is no protective ground, it is apparently
legal because you can't get two-wire outlets anymore. An electrician I
consulted said it would be too costly to put in modern 3-wire wiring
because of all the demolition - the old wiring is stapled inside the walls
and can't just be pulled out as the new wire is pulled in. So I had him
put in GFCI outlets and breakers where needed for safety (bathrooms and
kitchen) and let the rest go.
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Joseph Meehan

Niel wrote:
[...]

Yes, get the tester or a simple meter, if you know how ot use it.

Switching one set of wires, may have corrected all the rest down stream,
or may not, so you really need to check them all again.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

James Sweet

"Jim Haynes" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Yes you can buy 2 wire outlets and no it's *NOT* legal to install 3 wire
outlets on a non-grounded circuit.

James Sweet

Yes, get the tester or a simple meter, if you know how ot use it.

Switching one set of wires, may have corrected all the rest down

stream,
or may not, so you really need to check them all again.

And if you don't know how to use it please don't be messing with this stuff,
call an electrician and let them take care of it for you.

Michael A. Covington

"Jim Haynes" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Yes; it is legal to have a 3-wire outlet with 2-wire input *if* it's a GFCI.

R. Steve Walz

Niel wrote:

[...]

---------------
Danger is Hot, Black, and Brass. Make it so.

To find which wire is Hot, measure it to a solid ground like a water
pipe. Neutral is Dead, White, and Silver, like the bare Safety Ground.

Put a 200 VAC voltmeter, or DMM set to that range, from Hot to
Neutral, this should show 120VAC. Then from Hot to Ground, you
should again see 120 VAC.

The hot should be 120VAC to EITHER of them separately!
If not, then Hot is not connected to the "hot"!!!

Try neutral to both each separately, see if it is BOTH 120VAC to
ground and also the black. If so then the neutral and hot are
switched and should be switched back at the bus. Of course, use
insulated probes, rubber gloves if you are dim-witted, and switch
off the breaker when you change things. I take no responsibility
for your stupidity or your death.

-Steve
--
-Steve Walz ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!
Richard

(Niel) wrote in message . com...
I just bought a house and the inspector tagged four of six basement
outlets as hot/neutral reversed.
I open the first two, see the problem, and fix it (one of two blacks
was going to silver and one of two whites was going to brass).
However, the other two "bad" outlets are already wired correctly
(white to silver/black to brass).

Yah I think you need to get a tester. Just a neon bulb and two test
leads. Did the inspector determine this problem with a tester? You
need to verify that the hot lead (black) is the small slot. Determine
this by testing from small slot to ground (metal box, conduit or earth
ground) If it reads hot from large slot to ground then the hot
/neutral is reversed and should be switched. If you were doing this
right I would trace the wires back and find where the switch occured.
Plus, these two outlets have one set of wires (white/black/ground)
instead of two sets, which may not be a problem, but could be a clue.

??? Do you mean the same wires black/white/green feed both outlets??
This could be normal is shared on the same breaker.
Supposedly, if I switch the wires, the plugs won't be reversed
anymore. But that would put white on brass and black on silver.
Maybe the electrician got the white and black wrong at the head end,
wherever that is. So switching the two at the plugs will be the right
thing to do.

The head end would be in the breaker panel. If this is true the
electrician should be immediately terminated with extreme prejudice!
If the inspector was right, what is wrong with the wiring and how do I
fix it?
If the inspector was wrong, how could that be, as he was right about
two other plugs in the same room?
Or do I need to spend a couple of bucks on a sensor to check for
myself whether the inspector was right?

Use your tester or meter to test empirically from the small slot
(brass) to ground metal box, BX or conduit (water pipe verify the
ground first) Make the brass hot and correct the color code all the
way back to the breaker panel. If you're not comfortable with wiring,
being in the breaker panel or don't understand how you can get shocked
taking apart a neutral nexus then hire an electrician. On second
thought you might want to hire a competent electrician anyway to
review all your wiring. As a professional I've seen some weird things
and your wiring sounds like it needs a good going over. While reversed
wires are usually not a problem it can be dangerous as above and is an
indication of someone not knowing what they were doing doing the
wiring.

I did have a toilet that buzzed and had about 40 VAC on it but that's
another story.

Richard
D. Gerasimatos

In article 0H2%c.5096$5Y6.1028@trnddc07,
James Sweet wrote:

Yes you can buy 2 wire outlets and no it's *NOT* legal to install 3 wire
outlets on a non-grounded circuit.

As someone else said, it is legal if they are GFCI outlets.

Dimitri

James Sweet

James Sweet wrote:

Yes you can buy 2 wire outlets and no it's *NOT* legal to install 3 wire
outlets on a non-grounded circuit.

As someone else said, it is legal if they are GFCI outlets.

But how many of those installed in the real world are on GFCI? I've lost
count the number of times I've seen someone install 3 wire receptacles in
non grounded houses, a lot of times the houses don't even have a GFCI at
all. Certainly adviseable to add, though not everything will work right on
them. I've seen a lot of computers and a few microwave ovens that would trip
them regularly.

hemyd

"Niel" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'm speaking strictly based on Australian wiring regulations. I don't know
how they apply your way. Here, you should get a licenced electrician to
check out all your wiring. It is possible that it was originally wired up by
someone unlicenced. If your house catches fire as a result of faulty wiring
and there is a possibility that it was wired up illegally, you may have
problems claiming insurance.

Henry
Australia

hemyd

"bumtracks" wrote in message
my dad can wire recpts backwards
seems addicted to it.
his simple method works
1- gotta use a plastic box
2- and if something trips the breaker cut off its ground prong

My father used coathanger wire for fuses. I think that's rated at about 500
amps....

Henry
Australia

Sam Goldwasser

James Sweet wrote:

Yes you can buy 2 wire outlets and no it's *NOT* legal to install 3 wire
outlets on a non-grounded circuit.

As someone else said, it is legal if they are GFCI outlets.

But how many of those installed in the real world are on GFCI? I've lost
count the number of times I've seen someone install 3 wire receptacles in
non grounded houses, a lot of times the houses don't even have a GFCI at
all. Certainly adviseable to add, though not everything will work right on
them. I've seen a lot of computers and a few microwave ovens that would trip
them regularly.

Part of the problem is that it's not that easy to find 2 wire outlets at
your local hardware store. Our local large chain hardware store probably
has 16 varieties of duplex outlets, all 3 prong, and no 2 prong types.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Allodoxaphobia

On 6 Sep 2004 07:45:42 -0700, Niel hath writ:
[...]

I would do that.

Probably the two "suspicious"outlets that you are concerned about
were daisy-chained from one or more of the badly wired outlets that
were upstream of these two. They are now properly (probably) wired.

Your local hardware store sells the "idiot-lite" sensor that you
mentioned and it would be a Good Idea to have one around.

Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Yes you can buy 2 wire outlets and no it's *NOT* legal to install 3 wire
outlets on a non-grounded circuit.

As someone else said, it is legal if they are GFCI outlets.

*IF* they are also labelled "no equipment ground".

jakdedert

Andrew Rossmann wrote:
snip
Part of the problem is that it's not that easy to find 2 wire
outlets at your local hardware store. Our local large chain
hardware store probably has 16 varieties of duplex outlets, all 3
prong, and no 2 prong types.

My local Home Depot has 2-wire outlets.

Local where? In any case, I'm glad they're showing back up. I don't think
I've seen them anywhere in decades. I think people just started putting in
the grounding outlets (even 'electricicians') until the NEC or someone
started a fuss over it....

jak

Joseph Meehan

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
[...]

Of course if they screwed up one on the chain they may have screwed up
more, so fixing one might fix several and/or screw up others.

Our boy need to by the $3.00 tester and check all the outlets in his
home.

Your local hardware store sells the "idiot-lite" sensor that you
mentioned and it would be a Good Idea to have one around.

Jonesy

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

James Sweet

James Sweet wrote:

[...]

Home Depot stocks 2 wire outlets in both almond and brown, saw them there
just the other day.

Sam Goldwasser

"James Sweet" writes:

Home Depot stocks 2 wire outlets in both almond and brown, saw them there
just the other day.

I said "large hardware store" or something like that. Not everyone
lives near a Home Depot!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Hagrinas Mivali

"James Sweet" writes:

Home Depot stocks 2 wire outlets in both almond and brown, saw them

there
just the other day.

I said "large hardware store" or something like that. Not everyone
lives near a Home Depot!

There was a time when people said, "not everyone lives near a Starbucks."
Just wait.

James Sweet

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message

If the inspector was right, what is wrong with the wiring and how do I
fix it?

Swap black and white at both ends. This involves working on your breaker
panel, which is dangerous. I recommend hiring an electrician.

If the inspector was wrong, how could that be, as he was right about
two other plugs in the same room?

He'll only be wrong if he mixed up his results after making measurements.

Or do I need to spend a couple of bucks on a sensor to check for
myself whether the inspector was right?

That's what I'd do. And don't let the erroneous situation persist.

I doubt the wiring in the panel is wrong, more likely an outlet upstream is
backwards.

James Sweet

"James Sweet" writes:

Home Depot stocks 2 wire outlets in both almond and brown, saw them

there
just the other day.

I said "large hardware store" or something like that. Not everyone
lives near a Home Depot!

Well last I checked they had them in McLendon's as well, it's a small
(though admittedly very well stocked) local hardware store. Can't say I've
ever really looked for the things, just seen them around.

D. Gerasimatos

In article _4P%c.8355$vI2.634@trnddc02,
James Sweet wrote:
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

I said "large hardware store" or something like that. Not everyone
lives near a Home Depot!

Well last I checked they had them in McLendon's as well, it's a small
(though admittedly very well stocked) local hardware store. Can't say I've
ever really looked for the things, just seen them around.

Go to an electrical supply. They will have more selection than Home Depot
does. I don't know why the obsession with Home Depot.

Dimitri

James Sweet

James Sweet wrote:
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

I said "large hardware store" or something like that. Not everyone
lives near a Home Depot!

Well last I checked they had them in McLendon's as well, it's a small
(though admittedly very well stocked) local hardware store. Can't say

I've
ever really looked for the things, just seen them around.

Go to an electrical supply. They will have more selection than Home Depot
does. I don't know why the obsession with Home Depot.

Obsession? Well I'm not sure it's an obsession, but I do like them. They're
everywhere (including less than 5 miles from both my house and my work),
have a decent selection, good prices, and they're a one stop shop for home
improvement. I'm not sure where the nearest electrical supply shop is, would
probably have to drive all the way to Seattle.

gothika

James Sweet wrote:
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

I said "large hardware store" or something like that. Not everyone
lives near a Home Depot!

Well last I checked they had them in McLendon's as well, it's a small
(though admittedly very well stocked) local hardware store. Can't say

I've
ever really looked for the things, just seen them around.

Go to an electrical supply. They will have more selection than Home Depot
does. I don't know why the obsession with Home Depot.

Obsession? Well I'm not sure it's an obsession, but I do like them. They're
everywhere (including less than 5 miles from both my house and my work),
have a decent selection, good prices, and they're a one stop shop for home
improvement. I'm not sure where the nearest electrical supply shop is, would
probably have to drive all the way to Seattle.

Home Depot suxs bigtime.
Hagrinas Mivali

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message

If the inspector was right, what is wrong with the wiring and how do I
fix it?

Swap black and white at both ends. This involves working on your breaker
panel, which is dangerous. I recommend hiring an electrician.

That depends on how the breaker box is wired. Most, if not all modern
breaker boxes have the main breakers and the breakers for the individual
circuits in the same box. Since this is presumably an old house, that may
not be the case. It may have the main breakers or cartridge fuses in a
separate box, and there may be an external lever to power down the whole
house. If that's the case, the breakers can be switched off one by one and
the main power can be switched off. At that point, there is no power coming
into the breaker box.

Mike Lewis

Why ... what makes them suck?

They have reasonable prices.

I don't think they have "experts" that work there but not everyone needs
an expert to buy what they need for a home renovation.

The selection they have is limited ... but that's why their cheap ...
they don't have to stock a larger selection so they can have larger
volumes on the stuff they do stock.

They have a reasonable return policy .. almost anything
you don't use can be brought back.

Since there are so many of them ... there is usually one
in the neighborhood ... so they are convenient.

Why is it that you think they suck?

Mike

James Sweet wrote:
[...]

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Mike Lewis wrote:

Why ... what makes them suck?

They have reasonable prices.

I don't think they have "experts" that work there but not everyone needs
an expert to buy what they need for a home renovation.

The selection they have is limited ... but that's why their cheap ...
they don't have to stock a larger selection so they can have larger
volumes on the stuff they do stock.

They have a reasonable return policy .. almost anything
you don't use can be brought back.

Since there are so many of them ... there is usually one
in the neighborhood ... so they are convenient.

Why is it that you think they suck?

They drive competitors out of business, which is fine in itself unless
you happen to need to talk to an expert or find a specialty item. The
difference between a good hardware store or store that supplies the trades
and Home Depot is huge, but most people don't know the difference. Everyone
just knows Home Depot (or Lowe's). It's like buying everything you own at
Wal-Mart or Target. It can be done, but I'm not sure you'd want to.

I generally try to avoid Home Depot and give my business to the places that
stock hard-to-find items and employ guys who actually give correct advice.
Prices are higher, but that's what happens when one stocks specialty items
that don't turn over often and pays his employees a living wage.

Dimitri

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:39:11 -0400, someone wrote:

Why is it that you think they suck?

I would have to drive past two lumber yards, four hardware stores,
three electrical supply and at least on plumbing supply, to reach a
Home Depot.

I see where HD rents trucks for something like $19/hr for people to
take stuff home in. If I call my local lumber yard, they will deliver
for no extra charge, and have it out to me usually by the next day,
and sometimes its been the same day. I tell them where I want it, and
when I get home it is stacked there. I expect that the price is
probably a little higher than HD to begin with, but not enough to
concern me given the level of service (I also have an account at the
local place, and they bill me at the end of the month, Net 30.)

HD can be good for the semi-clueless, who know only to buy generic
stuff by price, who need to see it in the aisles because they don't
know to ask for it from a counterman, and who are basically looking
for generic items at generic prices. Personally I hate the whole
big-box crowded experience, even the parking lot is a zoo. Its not
worth the few percent savings to go through the hassle when I can just
go up to the counter (or call) my local yard, tell them who I am, and
tell them what I want and where to leave it.

I will admit that sometimes HD has a deal - one of my employees found
a power tool that he felt was equivalent to what I had authorized him
to buy for us, for MUCH less at HD so he got it there; for a volume
item on "special" yes they might have it cheaper. But generally I do
not look forward to a trip to HD and would rather buy locally (the HD
is maybe 23 miles from my house).

-v.