Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WiFi out to 800 feet

On 2020-10-09, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:00:29 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 10/9/20 6:29 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Worthless pieces of **** trolls like you, Fox's Mercantile...

Not very good at this are you?

Kinda reminds me of a ping pong match. The ball goes back and forth
endlessly and nothing worthwhile happens until somone fumbles it.

I'm always amused at the sheer amount of time and effort some posters
put into these useless exchanges - not just the "calling" ones, but
people who ask questions then quibble about what they consider wrong
advice - they must waste hours on it. Wish I had the stamina - I'd put
it to better use.

Jim
- going back to lurking
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 15:40:43 -0000 (UTC), Jim Jackson wrote:

I'm always amused at the sheer amount of time and effort some posters
put into these useless exchanges - not just the "calling" ones, but
people who ask questions then quibble about what they consider wrong
advice - they must waste hours on it. Wish I had the stamina - I'd put
it to better use.

Jim Jackson,

I only need to point to exactly what Fox's Mercantile writes...
o In order to prove the veracity of my claims about him.

I'm extremely well educated where I've been taught how to handle bullies.
o My approach is a basic factual defense which you would also likely do.

FACT:
Q: Do I _ever_ respond to Fox's Mercantile ever in any thread
where Fox's Mercantile hasn't unilaterally attacked me?
There is only a single one-word answered asked of you, Jim Jackson:
o (yes or no, please)

ASSESSMENT asked of you:
What do _you_ make of these initial responses by Fox's Mercantile
o Compared to this initial post by me asking for help from this newsgroup?

o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/YALmWHYhAQAJ
"**** the **** off."

And then:
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/lMFCjeIhAQAJ
"*Like I give a **** what you think*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/51EhY8c_AQAJ
"*But it's so much fun*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/51EhY8c_AQAJ
"*Because he gets his panties in a really tight wad*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/B4qUDUK0CgAJ
"*You ignorant *****"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/gCWEyJ0pAQAJ
"*You're pathetic*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/k3g4wxmEKAg/gCWEyJ0pAQAJ
"*But you're also funnier that ****, to watch spin around in circles.*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....g/6nhUp2kRAgAJ
"*Bwahahaha.....*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....g/6nhUp2kRAgAJ
"*Go take your pompous ass and **** yourself*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....g/BaJn6awtAgAJ
"*Let go of your dick*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....g/guex8V83AgAJ
"*Face it Buckwheat*"
o https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....g/K5BwnwJZAgAJ
"*Not very good at this are you?*"
etc.

Note two very important facts _before_ you respond because if/when you
respond, as I will certainly _ask_ you if you understood these two facts.
1. I never respond in any thread to Fox's Mercantile's trolling...
2. Unless, and until, he attacks me, out of the blue, as he always does

When I respond to Fox's Mercantile, it's to continue to prove...
a. Fox's Mercantile is a common cowardly bully who always bullies me
b. As such, Fox's Mercantile is a worthless piece of **** common troll

Bear in mind... If you respond, I will ask you to stay on _that_ topic.
o Because it's these pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile who ruin Usenet.
--
Since I care about my credibility, I need you to recognize two key facts:
1. I never respond to Fox's Mercantile unless/until he attacks me

Fox's Mercantile is a cowardly bullying worthless piece of **** common
troll where the recent thread proves that well-known fact in spades.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

point proved :-)
Why don't you do something USEFUL with your time and energy?
Just asking.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/20 11:23 AM, Jim Jackson wrote:
point proved:-)
Why don't you do something USEFUL with your time and energy?
Just asking.

Because he really doesn't have anything better to do with his
time.

All his posturing around and wild assed claims means nothing.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 16:23:30 -0000 (UTC), Jim Jackson wrote:

point proved :-)
Why don't you do something USEFUL with your time and energy?
Just asking.

Hi Jim Jackson,

Pernicious trolls like Fox's Mercantile are those who ruin Usenet for all.
o Hence it's important that _all_ of us discourage their despicable actions

Thank you for being an adult above - so we didn't waste time on obvious facts.
o As you observed, it's trivial to prove what Fox's Mercantile always does
(as he did in this very thread - & always does - because he's a troll)

Literally every time I post, I have Fox's Mercantile infantile responses to
deal with, but what's worse is he attempts to troll derail _every_ thread.

Others... more so than just me... need to help put a stop to this
o Otherwise this newsgroup, like many others, is handed to these trolls.

All Fox's Mercantile did in response to the request for help - was troll.

It's what worthless pieces of **** trolls do, as you & I are aware...
o But, like Snit, this Fox's Mercantile is particularly pernicious about it

In summary, while yours is a great question, you're asking it of the wrong
person, since you should be asking Fox's Mercantile why he does what he
does.

I would be happy if this infantile troll would just stop sniffing my ass
o I repeat: If Fox's Mercantile ignores me - I'm happy to ignore him.

He's a worthless piece of **** troll anyway...
o So he can't possibly ever add any adult value to any thread topic.

The problem is that if I don't make it obvious to all here what he does...
o These cowardly infantile bullies will never stop ruining this newsgroup.
--
Pernicious trolls like Fox's Mercantile are those who ruin Usenet for all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/20 1:35 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

[ As usual, the normal dribbling of **** out of his mouth. ]

Like I said, you're worthless.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 13:55:36 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Like I said, you're worthless.

I only need to point to exactly what Fox's Mercantile writes...
o In order to prove the veracity of my claims about him.

Instead of asking me why I defend myself against his unilateral attacks
o Others should be asking Fox's Mercantile why he incessantly trolls us.
--
Pernicious trolls like Fox's Mercantile are who ruin Usenet for all of us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Because it's funny watch you run around in circles ****ing yourself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 14:43:54 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Because it's funny watch you run around in circles ****ing yourself.

You prove the veracity of my claim you post not to be helpful...
o ...but only for your infantile trollish amusement, Fox's Mercantile.
--
People like Fox's Mercantile are they who ruin Usenet for the rest of us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/20 3:02 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 14:43:54 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Because it's funny watch you run around in circles ****ing yourself.

You prove the veracity of my claim you post not to be helpful...
o ...but only for your infantile trollish amusement, Fox's Mercantile.

Hands you a wet wipe.
You've done it again.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 16:01:08 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Hands you a wet wipe.

Snit and Diesel are the worthless pieces of **** trolls...
o Who can't stop acting like Fox's Mercantile is right now...

Fox's Mercantile can't stop proving he's incapable of _not_ being a troll.
--
People like Fox's Mercantile are those who ruin Usenet for all of us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/20 4:04 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
[ usual whiny **** ]

**** you.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 17:34:21 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

**** you.

Fox's Mercantile can't stop proving he's incapable of _not_ being a troll.
o Just like Snit.
--
People like Fox's Mercantile are those who ruin Usenet for all of us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/20 8:39 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Fox's Mercantile can't stop proving he's incapable of_not_ being a troll.

In case you missed it, go **** yourself.

You could have just as easily ignored me the first time around, but no,
you had to keep going on and on and on.

You're fun to play with, you just keep insisting on getting kicked in
the face.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:59:33 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

In case you missed it, go **** yourself.

What's interesting is you prove to be infantile in _everything_ you say.
o Interestingly, like Snit, you have no capacity to NOT prove to be a troll.
--
Fox's Mercantile, just like Snit, can't NOT prove he's an infantile troll.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
[ nothing of value as usual ]

Let me know when you get tired of proving how useless you are.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 04:10:23 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Let me know when you get tired of proving how useless you are.

Fox's Mercantile _is_ the despicable Snit (he admitted it years ago).

You can also tell he's Snit like also by how he incessantly trolls.

Like Snit, Fox's Mercantile always posts infantile ad hominem attacks.
--
Worthless pieces of **** trolls like Fox's Mercantile ruin Usenet.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/10/20 8:39 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Fox's Mercantile_is_ the despicable Snit (he admitted it years ago).

Pull your head out of your ass moron.
I am NOT Snit, nor have I ever been.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:07:36 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 10/10/20 8:39 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:

Fox's Mercantile_is_ the despicable Snit (he admitted it years ago).

Pull your head out of your ass moron.
I am NOT Snit, nor have I ever been.

Would you immature clods please take
your ****ing contest to private email!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 10/9/20 6:29 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Worthless pieces of **** trolls like you, Fox's Mercantile...

Not very good at this are you?

Kinda reminds me of a ping pong match. The ball goes back and forth
endlessly and nothing worthwhile happens until somone fumbles it.

I'm always amused at the sheer amount of time and effort some posters
put into these useless exchanges - not just the "calling" ones, but
people who ask questions then quibble about what they consider wrong
advice - they must waste hours on it. Wish I had the stamina - I'd put
it to better use.

Jim
- going back to lurking

Chuckle. Allegedly, computahs are labor and time saving devices. It
would seem that we are experiencing a demonstration proving quite the
opposite. I've been submerged in Usenet for far to long to recall
what I did for entertainment prior to about 1981. I suspect it was
something equally useless and likely laced with debauchery.

Someone wiser than me once noted that Usenet conversations were really
not for the benefit of the participants. Instead, they merely
establish a mostly permanent record of the participants point of view,
so that some other future Usenet conversationalists can use them as
references. The lack of a clear winner in all Usenet conversations is
clearly proof that winning the discussion is not a priority. Many of
the successors to Usenet actually award points or badges for being the
most cited. The only good part is that where there are no clear
winners, there are also no clear losers. Let the most mediocre
position win.

This probably won't improve your understanding or stamina, but might
prove amusing. I wrote it when I was thinking along lines similar to
your lament:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/genesis.txt

And the lord looked upon the Usenet wasteland and proclaimed
"I have given unto thee a temple upon which thou may rant.
Instead, though hath turned my temple into a den of iniquity
and dung hole of misinformation. Unto thy ancestors, I
gave 10 commandments, but unto thee I shall give but one;
Thou shalt not post what thou also find unworthy of reading."

Hmmm... I probably shouldn't have posted this message.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:07:36 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Pull your head out of your ass moron.
I am NOT Snit, nor have I ever been.

And yet, what you do shows you're absolutely no different from Snit.
--
Fox's Mercantile, aka Snit, is the type of troll who ruins Usenet.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 15:13:35 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

Jeff - please do not respond to this post unless you _understand_

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

In one of the numerous stories based on Dante's Inferno, there is a
place in hell where opposing protagonists, armies, neighbors, rival
resurrected only to do battle again the next day, forever. After a
time, the grievances are forgotten, to be replaced by endless
repetition and boredom without purpose. That where we've been with
this endless discussion for many years, and that's where the
discussion is going.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Next time just don't feed the damned troll!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/10/20 10:27 AM, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
Would you immature clods please take
your ****ing contest to private email!

Who died and appointed you in charge of Usenet?

I'll stop when that useless piece of trash Arlen finally shuts
his ****ing pie hole.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10 Oct 2020 15:27:35 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

Would you immature clods please take
your ****ing contest to private email!

Hi Allodoxaphobia,

I certainly comprehend your intent, and, as an adult, I will comply.
o I will not further respond to the Fox's Mercantile troll in this thread.

I've already proven my point of what Fox's Mercantile incessantly does.
o Which is, after all, directly & clearly where the condemnation lies.

And, as Jim Jackson agreed to a while ago...
o That proof is, by now, obvious to all those with adult cognitive skills

As such, I will end this direct proof of what Fox's Mercantile is...
o Which is he's nothing more than a worthless pieces of ****, ala Snit.

As we all know the Internet adage about 'dropping to their level'...
o I understand that you lump me into the same category (erroneously so).

That's fine - as you might not fully comprehend my intent.
o Which is to stand up to these cowardly bullies who ruin Usenet for all.
--
I certainly comprehend your intent, and, as an adult, I will comply with
your wishes to ignore Fox's Mercantile in this thread. However I reserve

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/4/20 5:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

You can look up the Fresnel zone stuff separately, which, in my experience,
is more theoretical than practical since you just shove more directional
beam power to overcome the losses due to lack of height.

What the hell? Clearly you don't do this for a living.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/6/20 4:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

To get some decent speeds, 5GHz
instead of 2.4GHz.

Generally speaking, yes. Practically speaking you can do several
hundred mbps over a 2.4 link. You just need to widen the channel.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:23:10 -0700, Johann Beretta wrote:

Clearly you don't do this for a living.

That is an absolutely correct assessment.

You can advise the OP better than I on potential Fresnel Zone issues, as
he's apparently asking how best to paint a LOS location 800 feet away with
the transceiver on a pole I believe.

You can run the math to explain to him how high that pole may need to be.
(We do that stuff by trial and error - but you may know the math better.)

Please advise the OP on the math so he knows how high to mount the radio.
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:25:08 -0700, Johann Beretta
wrote:

On 10/6/20 4:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

To get some decent speeds, 5GHz
instead of 2.4GHz.

Generally speaking, yes. Practically speaking you can do several
hundred mbps over a 2.4 link. You just need to widen the channel.

While there are 2.4GHz routers available that have a 40MHz channel
bandwidth setting, I prefer not to use it because it reduces the
available bandwidth to other users on 2.4GHz. If one is sufficiently
clueless to use a 40 MHz channel set to CH6, it will effectively
trash most of the 2.4GHz band. Since Wi-Fi pollution can be
symmetrical, it also makes the receiver susceptible to more
interference. Stay with 20MHz channel bandwidth on 2.4GHz.

On the other foot, the minimum channel bandwidth on 5GHz is 40MHz
(depending on channel selected) with an option to use 80MHz or 160MHz
for 802.11AC and AX (Wi-Fi 6).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_or_5.9_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)
With 1024-QAM, 802.11AX can theoretically do 1.2Gbits/sec in a 160MHz
channel. Your mileage will certainly be less.

The test below was to demonstrate something else. However, it does
show what can be done with 5GHz.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/FLUG-talk-2015-02-28/802.1a%20direct.jpg
Unfortunately, the radios at both ends were only 802.11a, so the speed
never went above 75 Mbits/sec at a distance of about 5 meters. It
also uses Jperf 2.0.2, which doesn't work very well above 100
Mbit/sec. I should have used Iperf 3, which works well into the
gigabit range:
https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php
My home network is now mostly gigabit, so I could easily run some 5GHz
performance tests with a later version of Iperf 3. However, no pretty
graphs as nobody has bothered to port the Java code to work with
Iperf3. I'm a horrible programmist, so I won't attempt it.

Anyway, the performance limiting factor is usually interference from
co-channel users and noise sources. You could have all the bandwidth
in the world, the most efficient modulation scheme, maximum legal RF
power, and still not be able to communicate very well or far if there
is an interference source nearby. In other words, one needs to do
more than just "widen the channel".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 07:45:18 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:23:10 -0700, Johann Beretta wrote:

Clearly you don't do this for a living.

That is an absolutely correct assessment.

By the way, I officially retired on Sept 30, 2020. The office is
closed, the bank accounts emptied, and much of the equipment donated
or sold.

You can advise the OP better than I on potential Fresnel Zone issues, as
he's apparently asking how best to paint a LOS location 800 feet away with
the transceiver on a pole I believe.

You can run the math to explain to him how high that pole may need to be.
(We do that stuff by trial and error - but you may know the math better.)

Sigh. I've lost count how many times I've done that in this
newsgroup. Start he
https://www.proxim.com/en/products/knowledge-center/calculations/calculations-fresnel-clearance-zone
800 ft is not far enough apart to worry about the curvature of the
earth.
800ft / 5280ft/mile = 0.152 miles
At 2.4Ghz, the Fresnel Zone is 9 ft radius at the midpoint of the
link. Therefore, the antenna at both ends of the link need to be at
least 9 ft off the ground, or 9 ft above any major obstructions
(fences, trees, buildings, cars, etc). Actually, it's somewhat more
complicated if I throw in fade margin, frequency selective fading, and
system availability, but we won't need to go there for this example.

At 5 GHz, the Fresnel Zone radius is only 6.3 ft. Therefore, the
antenna pole can be 2.7 feet shorter.

Please advise the OP on the math so he knows how high to mount the radio.

Methinks we've lost the OP long ago.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/14/20 9:42 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
By the way, I officially retired on Sept 30, 2020. The office is
closed, the bank accounts emptied, and much of the equipment donated
or sold.

Well done sir.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 00:23:10 -0700, Johann Beretta wrote:

Clearly you don't do this for a living.

That is an absolutely correct assessment.

By the way, I officially retired on Sept 30, 2020. The office is
closed, the bank accounts emptied, and much of the equipment donated
or sold.

Congratulations. You'll now enjoyably find everything you knew
disappainting or being replaced by new kids on the block. I don't see
any of those filling your shoes here and I usually only bother to lurk
to see what you are posting.

You can advise the OP better than I on potential Fresnel Zone issues, as
he's apparently asking how best to paint a LOS location 800 feet away with
the transceiver on a pole I believe.

You can run the math to explain to him how high that pole may need to be.
(We do that stuff by trial and error - but you may know the math better.)

I've run cantenna line-of-site over 400m reliably for years. I didn't
measure the fresnel zone but a farmer's apple tree in his front must
have encroached the signal line every few years and he would kindly
lop a few branches, restoring normal service. I have a note of the
speeds somewhere but the system gave me office access from home, home
broadband via the office and all I remember is that the Wi-Fi speed
was better than the rather poor broadband speed available at the end
of a long exchange line.

After moving several years ago from the little hamlet (60 properties)
the pathetic broadband (I think I had one of the best connections at
2mbps) was replaced by FTTP. I don't think I could have got mi Wi-Fi
signal to keep up with the resulting 80Mbps broadband. Those we now
Zoom with in that hamlet are always very clear and no blurring motion
issues - I'm somewhat jealous.

(UK in case any folk are struggling to understand any terminology or
words).
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 10:42:58 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

By the way, I officially retired on Sept 30, 2020. The office is
closed, the bank accounts emptied, and much of the equipment donated
or sold.

Enjoy your retirement, my friend!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 01:52:13 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 10:42:58 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

By the way, I officially retired on Sept 30, 2020. The office is
closed, the bank accounts emptied, and much of the equipment donated
or sold.

Enjoy your retirement, my friend!

I've been retired for years. I find retirement to be less enjoyable
than any of the jobs I had.

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

wrote:

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 10:42:58 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

By the way, I officially retired on Sept 30, 2020. The office is
closed, the bank accounts emptied, and much of the equipment donated
or sold.

Enjoy your retirement, my friend!

Thanks. However, it's not easy to find enjoyment while trying to
adjust to Covid-19, dysfunctional government at all levels, impending
economic collapse, limits on travel, increasing weather related
problems, an increasing homeless problem, and probably increased taxes
to keep the economy afloat. Health problems and advancing age
increasingly limit my activities. I can survive on Social Security
payments and the 80% that Medicare provides, but suspect those
benefits to will eventually be reduced by inflation as the government
resorts to printing money to finance its activities. I expect my
"retirement" to more closely resemble living on unemployment with the
added bonus of having no debt and a modest bank account. Since I have
no children or immediate family, I could easily have obtained a
reverse mortgage on my house, and lived off the cash. However, the
recent fires in California might make that impossible due to
increasing difficulties obtaining replacement value fire insurance, a
basic requirement for a reverse mortgage. In other words, the long
term prospects for an enjoyable retirement look rather grim.

However, before I blunder on into this dismal future, I have an
immediate problem to deal with. I brought about 75% of the contents
of my formerly palatial office to my house when I moved out. There
was no time to do sorting, only time to box everything and move. I
moved it in small increments because I have no garage or storage space
at the house and because I had to carry the boxes up about 50 stairs.
The boxes are now piled up both inside and outside the house. Much of
it is covered with ash that is still falling from the trees due to the
recent nearby fires. Rain will likely arrive in a few weeks and
nothing outside is protected. I need to deal with that immediately,
but can't during the current heat waves. At least I won't be bored
looking for something to do.

Incidentally, it's now 6AM and 75F (24C) outside. NWS predicts the
temperature to rise to 101F (38C) today. I might be able to do 2-3
hrs of box shuffling today. It's likely that the local power company,
PG&E, will intentionally disconnect the power to prevent falling power
lines from starting more fires and to reduce the load on the power
grid from air conditioning.

Thanks again for the hopeful thoughts, but this is not the retirement
that I had planned and is unlikely to be enjoyable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Given the price of real-estate, and the cost-of-living in Santa Cruz, given that you are apparently single, given that you are apparently not overly happy about the climate, have you ever considered relocating to a more amenable part of the country? When we moved 12 years ago (just across the township), it was akin to shedding a skin. The divestiture of unneeded *stuff* was pretty immense and very cleansing. We have been vary careful not to re-acquire since. It really does make a difference. But, a more distant move in your case may solve a number of financial, physical and logistic issues all at once.

Best of luck with it. My wife is retired, my identified date is June 30, 2022 when my major tenant ends its lease. Until then, my wife and I are busy 'feathering our nests" so that when we retired and our income drops by six figures we will have few expenses and no debt on what amounts to be two very nearly maintenance-free houses.

Take care!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/16/20 11:20 AM, Mike Coon wrote:
That's sad. Cannot you pretend to be your own slave-driver boss? (Or is
it the money that is the problem; pretending does not work so well
there...)

That's funny. I've worked for assholes my own life.
I'm self employed now.
Wouldn't you know it, I'm still working for an asshole.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 10:32:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Given the price of real-estate, and the cost-of-living in Santa Cruz, given
that you are apparently single, given that you are apparently not overly
happy about the climate, have you ever considered relocating to a more
amenable part of the country?

Actually, I have done some online looking at some possible places to
relocate. The exodus from California seems to be mostly to the
northern and eastern states:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/04/691145-californians-left-last-year-what-state-did-they-go-to/
Texas seems to be the largest, with a predictable reaction:
"Why Texans Don’t Want Any More Californians"
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/the-truth-about-the-california-exodus/605833/
There are also a fair number of YouTube videos on "Why you don't want
to move to [insert name of state]".

After I work out the migration pattern, the next step would be to
decide if I want to move to where everyone is going, or if I want to
avoid those places. Right now, I don't know. I originally moved to
Santa Cruz from the Smog Angeles area in about 1973 because it was
less crowded. I wanted to get away from the crowds. Before Covid-19
drastically cut down on the traffic earlier this year, Santa Cruz
traffic had become as bad as Smog Angeles over the past 47 years. If
I move, I don't want to become part of that problem. However, the
main reasons I haven't moved somewhere else is that I don't have any
urgent need to move, and that my house has some problems that will
either be too expensive or difficult to fix economically. It's a can
of worms I don't want to open at this time. There's also the problem
of my lack of longevity. If my family history is an indication of how
long I'll live, I probably won't live long enough to enjoy the change
of location.

When we moved 12 years ago (just across the township), it was
akin to shedding a skin. The divestiture of unneeded *stuff* was
pretty immense and very cleansing. We have been vary careful not
to re-acquire since. It really does make a difference. But, a
more distant move in your case may solve a number of financial,
physical and logistic issues all at once.

I know the feeling. Several of my friends have become minimalists.
Unfortunately, I've been the recipient of some of their accumulated
junk. I would say they were most successful in what they were trying
to accomplish. For me, it's quite different. While I'm not quite a
packrat, I do tend to accumulate "stuff". Since I don't have a family
and have yet to immerse myself in public service and volunteer
organizations, I tend to replace these with gadgets, things, gizmos,
and goodies. I fix things, I enjoy the work, and would happily spend
the rest of my continuing to save "stuff" from a premature demise in a
landfill. I guess I'm an eco-freak of sorts. Moving wouldn't change
much.

Best of luck with it. My wife is retired, my identified date is
June 30, 2022 when my major tenant ends its lease. Until then, my
wife and I are busy 'feathering our nests" so that when we retired
and our income drops by six figures we will have few expenses and
no debt on what amounts to be two very nearly maintenance-free houses.

Nicely done. Sounds like you have things well planned and organized.
I thought my plans were similarly set. Then, I had to deal with some
nasty medical problems, a pandemic, wildfires, and an evacuation. The
assumptions I made in planning my retirement have not gone up in smoke
yet, but are likely to do so considering the circumstances I itemized
in a previous rant. May your ration of luck survive and hopefully,
you won't need to deal with my problems.

Take care!

Thanks. Time for a fast dinner and off to a friend to fix a Brother
sewing machine and a Baby Lock. As long as there are things that I
can fix and that need fixing, I should be ok.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, October 16, 2020 at 9:40:52 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I didn't plan on becoming 100% disabled in my late 50s. My last day of work for someone else was the Friday before 9/11. I kept busy working on computers for others who couldn't afford to take them to a shop. I can no longer even do that. My legs are so bad that I have to prop them up more than 10 out of 24 hours to keep the scar tissue from opening. I couldn't do it last night. There was a large puddle of plasma under my left foot this morning. I deal with it, but only having two hours a day to do everything is a real pain. I had two bad falls in the past year. It looks like I'm going to have to go to a walker or power chair before long. Why not open a Ebay store to list what you don't want to keep, as you sort out the boxes? It will help you get rid of some stuff, and hopefully give you some extra cash.

God Bless you, my friend!