Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AC power connectors

How standard are the appliance side 2-connector connectors for AC? I have
a Metsonix SCA radio where the connector that goes into the radio is flakey
on the cable side. The connector looks squished oval, two female connectors,
looks like it has a polarity key but I don't think the radio has a polarity
key. I'm wondering if we have any connectors in our home "lab" which has been
around longer than me and I'm also wondering if the wire from dead laptop
power supplies might work.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The Internet is your friend. Do a search on Molex Connectors, and see if you can find your example therein. Try starting with a pin-count in the initial search as well.
Then search "Multi-prong" connectors. Many more there.

To answer your question directly, most appliance internal connectors (at least in the US) are fairly standardized such that you should be able to find it in short order. I use the term "fairly" as the icemaker for our 12-year-old GE refrigerator came with three (3) different adaptor connectors. They were all Molex, but not the same.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 10:20:58 AM UTC-4, Vasos Panagiotopoulos wrote:
How standard are the appliance side 2-connector connectors for AC? I have
a Metsonix SCA radio where the connector that goes into the radio is flakey
on the cable side. The connector looks squished oval, two female connectors,
looks like it has a polarity key but I don't think the radio has a polarity
key. I'm wondering if we have any connectors in our home "lab" which has been
around longer than me and I'm also wondering if the wire from dead laptop
power supplies might work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320 shows the common power cords. If your type isn't there, post a photo somewhere and provide link so we can see it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How standard are the appliance side 2-connector connectors for AC?

**The IEC C7 plug is incredibly standard on a very wide range of appliances.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/jw-comp...pc7-05-252308/

and I'm also wondering if the wire from dead laptop
power supplies might work.

** Almost certainly.

A three pin version exists too.

...... Phil