DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Auto Program you TV for OTA stations (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/679315-re-auto-program-you-tv-ota-stations.html)

micky August 26th 20 08:32 AM

Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:20:58 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 8/25/20 9:15 AM, micky wrote:

[snip]

OTOH we had to rescan about a month ago and that was the first time in
more than 2 years. More than 5 years?

We had to rescan earlier this year, just because of a new subchannel
(56-4, AntennaTV) that the local NBC station added.

So does that mean if you hadn't rescanned, you'd still have gotten all
the channels but that one.

Could you have just punched in 56,4 and the tv would find it, and then
ou could add it to the internal list, but they said to rescan because
that's a simple instruction and applies to everyone, whereas the
instructions for adding a station vary by tv.

[snip]

Mark Lloyd[_12_] August 26th 20 06:34 PM

Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

On 8/26/20 1:32 AM, micky wrote:

[snip]

We had to rescan earlier this year, just because of a new subchannel
(56-4, AntennaTV) that the local NBC station added.

So does that mean if you hadn't rescanned, you'd still have gotten all
the channels but that one.

Yes, it was just that one that needed to be added.

Could you have just punched in 56,4 and the tv would find it, and then
ou could add it to the internal list, but they said to rescan because
that's a simple instruction and applies to everyone, whereas the
instructions for adding a station vary by tv.

I can't try 56.4 now, since its already scanned (checking it would
require disconnecting the antenna, rescanning, then reconnecting the
antenna. Too much to do for something that probably won't worh and won't
help if it does). Trying 22.4 (the physical channel is 22) is ignored
(on all t TVs I tried).

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion is all bunk." -- Thomas Edison

Ron D. August 26th 20 09:36 PM

Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

Well, you hit a sore point, The little CECB box, you can type the physical channel and the virtual channels programmed or not programmed will show up.

On a 55" System 6 "Smart", very dumb TV, nothing happens.

it can only delete-all and re-scan. That's are the brain cells it has.

Can it know about an antenna rotator? No.

You can also have for the same physical channel: Say 36
6-2
51.1
51.5
51.101

There was some major shifts, at least two in the Philadelphia area. I don't know if scan and add would have worked for one of them.

[email protected] September 11th 20 10:17 PM

wrote:

On 8/25/20 9:15 AM, micky wrote:

[snip]

OTOH we had to rescan about a month ago and that was the first time in
more than 2 years. More than 5 years?

We had to rescan earlier this year, just because of a new subchannel
(56-4, AntennaTV) that the local NBC station added.

So does that mean if you hadn't rescanned, you'd still have gotten all
the channels but that one.

Could you have just punched in 56,4 and the tv would find it, and then
ou could add it to the internal list, but they said to rescan because
that's a simple instruction and applies to everyone, whereas the
instructions for adding a station vary by tv.

[snip]

After the FCC repack in LA several channels moved frequencies so that needed a rescan. KCAL channel 9 has added
3 subchannels but not at the same time so you would need a rescan for each addition. We had an old Magnavox
where you could select the RF channel and a few seconds later it would identify the PSIP and report the
channel. It gets more interesting in that the channel 28 carrier for KCET also has KLCS (ch 58) as subchannels
but behaves as if ch 58 is its own carrier. Likewise channel 50 KOCE is now
subchannels on KSCI ch 18. It did
take them quite a while before they got is sorted so that my TVs and computers would recognize it properly.

G²

gregz September 13th 20 07:40 AM

wrote:

On 8/25/20 9:15 AM, micky wrote:

[...]

I realize many TVs have very poor or no programming ability, some with more
utility than others. Most in Pittsburgh wonder where the local channel 13
VHF-H went. They can no longer receive the new 60 mHz ch 4 frequency with
tiny antennas LOL.

Greg

Ralph Mowery September 13th 20 04:08 PM

Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

In article -
september.org, says...

I realize many TVs have very poor or no programming ability, some with more
utility than others. Most in Pittsburgh wonder where the local channel 13
VHF-H went. They can no longer receive the new 60 mHz ch 4 frequency with
tiny antennas LOL.

With so many on cable or other means of getting TV signals other than
off the air, I bet the TV companies spend little time worring about the
tuner part for the antennas.

bruce bowser December 27th 20 05:28 PM

wrote:

On 8/25/20 9:15 AM, micky wrote:

[...]

I noticed in Pittsburgh that your neighbor could be 100 ft lower or higher than you are.