Old August 1st 20, 06:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yugos, was: Reliablest cars

[snip]

The only car I can recall that was truly a rolling toilet was the Yugos
imported to the States during the '80s.

Or, to quote from the movie Dragnet, 1988:

Joe Friday: After losing the two previous vehicles we had been
issued, the only car the department was willing to release to
us at this point was an unmarked 1987 Yugo, a Yugoslavian import
donated to the department as a test vehicle by the government
of that country and reflecting the cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian
technology.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092925/quotes/

Old August 1st 20, 06:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reliablest cars

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:14:41 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2020/07/31 11:59 a.m., Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 1:36:58 PM UTC-5, Martin James Smith wrote:
Hi all,

Say I wanted to buy the most reliable new compact car on the market
right now, the one least likely to ever break down on me in the
future, what would it be?

cheers,

MS

Is "reliablest" even a word?

How is the Lada doing these days? I recall when everyone was talking
about the little Russian car...

John ;-#)#

When I was in Iceland in 2000, there were quite a few Ladas on the
road plus Lada Nivas (a sturdy 4 wheel drive jeep-like vehicle.) A
documentarian,who filmed on the country's glaciers, claimed they were
far more reliable than Jeeps.
Old August 1st 20, 11:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 2020/07/31 11:59 a.m., Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 1:36:58 PM UTC-5, Martin James Smith wrote:
Hi all,

Say I wanted to buy the most reliable new compact car on the market
right now, the one least likely to ever break down on me in the
future, what would it be?

cheers,

MS

Is "reliablest" even a word?

How is the Lada doing these days? I recall when everyone was talking
about the little Russian car...

John ;-#)#

When I was in Iceland in 2000, there were quite a few Ladas on the
road plus Lada Nivas (a sturdy 4 wheel drive jeep-like vehicle.) A
documentarian,who filmed on the country's glaciers, claimed they were
far more reliable than Jeeps.

**Yeah, well, that doesn't mean much. Jeeps are always at or near the
bottom of the list in reliability surveys. They often swap positions
with Fiat and Alfa.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old August 2nd 20, 01:43 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Hi all,

Say I wanted to buy the most reliable new compact car on the market
right now, the one least likely to ever break down on me in the
future, what would it be?

cheers,

MS

Is "reliablest" even a word?

How is the Lada doing these days? I recall when everyone was talking
about the little Russian car...

John ;-#)#

When I was in Iceland in 2000, there were quite a few Ladas on the
road plus Lada Nivas (a sturdy 4 wheel drive jeep-like vehicle.) A
documentarian,who filmed on the country's glaciers, claimed they were
far more reliable than Jeeps.

**Yeah, well, that doesn't mean much. Jeeps are always at or near the
bottom of the list in reliability surveys. They often swap positions
with Fiat and Alfa.

Well, now that FIAT owns Chrysler who owns Jeep, some Jeeps (I believe
the Renegade in the US market) are MADE by FIAT, - in Italy, and shares
a platform with one of the FIAT 500 SUV's, so why wouldn't Jeep be right
up there with FIAT?

Best regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Old August 2nd 20, 06:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

**It is DOWN there with Fiat and Alfa.

[Aside] A lot of Toyota Landcruisers have stickers on their rear windows
that read:

'Jeep recovery vehicle'

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old August 2nd 20, 01:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Our homeowner's association actually banned Landcruisers from our development. The sound of those things rusting in the night was keeping babies from sleeping through the night and suspected of poisoning ground water.

Old August 2nd 20, 01:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/2/2020 5:49 PM, John-Del wrote:

Our homeowner's association actually banned Landcruisers from our development. The sound of those things rusting in the night was keeping babies from sleeping through the night and suspected of poisoning ground water.

Sound of rusting?
Old August 2nd 20, 05:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2020/08/02 5:43 a.m., Pimpom wrote:
On 8/2/2020 5:49 PM, John-Del wrote:

Our homeowner's association actually banned Landcruisers from our
development. The sound of those things rusting in the night was
keeping babies from sleeping through the night and suspected of
poisoning ground water.

Sound of rusting?

Trump's tweets... (couldn't resist - and now I'm in for it!)

John ;-#)#
Old August 2nd 20, 05:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 18:13:45 +0530, Pimpom wrote:

On 8/2/2020 5:49 PM, John-Del wrote:

Our homeowner's association actually banned Landcruisers from our development. The sound of those things rusting in the night was keeping babies from sleeping through the night and suspected of poisoning ground water.

Sound of rusting?

It was a humorous remark, Pimpom (I L'dOL anyway):-)
Old August 2nd 20, 05:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:59:21 -0700 (PDT), Terry Schwartz
wrote:

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 1:36:58 PM UTC-5, Martin James Smith wrote:
Hi all,

Say I wanted to buy the most reliable new compact car on the market
right now, the one least likely to ever break down on me in the
future, what would it be?

cheers,

MS

Is "reliablest" even a word?

Only in N. America - the country that invented the ghastly "normalcy"
in place of *normality* for no compelling reason whatsoever.