DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   LCD Monitor blinks on/off constantly (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/67791-lcd-monitor-blinks-off-constantly.html)

jhughe90 September 4th 04 12:54 AM

LCD Monitor blinks on/off constantly

Looking for any hints on what to look for if I open it up.

This was a problem that got progressively worse. First it would only
do it when warming up, and finally it started happening all the time.
It blinks on/off about every second. The power light stays on, but it
goes from full picture to complete black, it's not dimming out.

It's an Acer FP855.

Thanks...

James Sweet September 4th 04 03:53 AM

"jhughe90" wrote in message
om...
Looking for any hints on what to look for if I open it up.

This was a problem that got progressively worse. First it would only
do it when warming up, and finally it started happening all the time.
It blinks on/off about every second. The power light stays on, but it
goes from full picture to complete black, it's not dimming out.

It's an Acer FP855.

Thanks...

Sounds like the backlight fluorescent tube is worn out.

Jerry G. September 4th 04 04:03 PM

The backlamp, and its ballast supply should be changed. Call the manufacture
rep to see if they will sell you the parts to do it yourself if you are
adventitious, or send in the monitor to have it done if this is the only
alternative, other than replacing the complete monitor.

Most of the manufacture reps will not sell the parts to the end users. They
will request you send in the monitor. The labour will not be too high to
change the lamps and supply.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

om...

James Sweet September 4th 04 09:59 PM

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The backlamp, and its ballast supply should be changed. Call the

manufacture
rep to see if they will sell you the parts to do it yourself if you are
adventitious, or send in the monitor to have it done if this is the only
alternative, other than replacing the complete monitor.

Most of the manufacture reps will not sell the parts to the end users.

They
will request you send in the monitor. The labour will not be too high to
change the lamps and supply.

There's quite a few CCFL tubes out there, I would first attempt to find a
suitable replacement. Look for one with a 6500K color temperature and try
wiring it in to verify the ballast is good before going through the work of
actually replacing it.