Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tofer

Default TV on a dimmer switch?!?

Hiya everyone,

I have an interesting one for all of you. My wife does improv comedy at a
local bar in my area. In one of her conversations with the owner, she
mentioned that I was "into" eletronics. He asked her if she would have me
look at two of his televisions that aren't working.

Generally I shy away from "favors" such as this. But, when she told me the
story of what happened to the TV's I got curious.

Apparently he plugged in the sets on a wall circuit that is on a dimmer for
the overhead lights. Needless to say, the TV's didn't like that very much
when the lights were dimmed. They both now give that neat "click click
click" when turned on.

Now I do work on electronics, but computer based for the most part. Monitors
are very close to televisions and that clicking usually means the MOSFET is
not firing the flyback. Would this be the same for these televisions?

The sets are both Sharp 25K-M100. Any info (or "witty jibes" at plugging in
two TV's on a dimmer circuit) would be appreciated.

Take care,

Tofer