no sticky residue

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:18:17 -0500, "Ray L. Volts"
wrote:

But I digress...
Use products designed specifically for electronics use and you'll be happier
with your repairs in the long run.

I recommend using LPS instead of wd40.

mitch perkins

"Richard Henry" wrote in message news:cmQVc.123523$sh.72032@fed1read06...

Just this week I used WD-40 to lubricate the garden gate hinges and sprayed
some on the cutters after pruning some shrubs.

Years ago in youthful ignorance I tried to clean a coffee spill out of a
computer keyboard with it. I eventually just got a new keyboard.

If you can manage to sneak a squirt of WD40 into your slot-car motor
just before a race, victory will be yours! Not, however, if the track
is full-living-room sized and the race is more than 15 laps. Also the
resulting aroma, while exceedingly pleasant, will give you away.
Make sure not to spill any on the rear wheels, or you're *done*.

Mitch
Ken Weitzel

Woody wrote:

"Ken G." wrote in message

There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

The old favourite was carbon tetrachloride (if you can still get it) with a
drop if machine oil in it - usually one drop of 3-in-1 in a teaspoonful of
CTC.

Yikes! Scary scary stuff!

Carbon tet has been banned here since I was a
young fellow, and that was back about the time
they invented dirt Or dirty controls, anyway

Don't even think about buying it. And if you should
happen to have some, please get rid of it. Safely.
Call your hazardous waste folks.

Ken

gothika

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:29:52 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Ken G." wrote in message

There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

The old favourite was carbon tetrachloride (if you can still get it) with a
drop if machine oil in it - usually one drop of 3-in-1 in a teaspoonful of
CTC.

Yikes! Scary scary stuff!

Carbon tet has been banned here since I was a
young fellow, and that was back about the time
they invented dirt Or dirty controls, anyway

Don't even think about buying it. And if you should
happen to have some, please get rid of it. Safely.
Call your hazardous waste folks.

Ken

Geez Ken, there are some of us who can and do handle hazardous
materials in our work every day.
Carbon Tet is way down on the list of some of the hazardous materials
I've used.
Just avoid ignition devices around it and have plenty of ventilation
to avoid breathing any of the fumes.
Look up the MSDS on use and handling and you'll be fine.
gothika

wrote:

But I digress...
Use products designed specifically for electronics use and you'll be happier
with your repairs in the long run.

I recommend using LPS instead of wd40.

More specifically LPS #1.

Ken Weitzel

wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Ken G." wrote in message

[...]

Hi Gothika...

We must be talking about different stuff... the stuff I
used to clean controls with as a young fellow are now
known to cause liver, kidney and central nervous system
damage. Most likely a carcinogen. At high levels coma
or even death. Can be taken by ingestion, breathing the
fumes, skin contact, or drinking contaminated water.
Add to that, it destroys the ozone layer.

Must be different stuff, carbon tet isn't flammable
either.

Banned completely here; used only in a few industrial
apps in your country.

Read more...

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts30.html

Take care.

Ken

gothika

wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Ken G." wrote in message

[...]

I've afeeling we're probably about the same age.
I used Carbon tetrachloride in various apps for cleaning everthing
from industrial electrical components to stripping optical coatings.
Most of the grades I used were flammable and yes very toxic.
I've had to use much worse.
Try high grade ether, I used that for years and it can be a bug to
contain or avoid inhalation or skin contact.
Yet it's one really good super-solvent.
If you REALLY want to sweat try packing and transporting weapons grade
uranium or plutonium.(In my service days I worked on a hazardous
material disposal squad and had to move everthing from old bombs/mines
to ICBM components)

John Miller

gothika wrote to Ken:
I've afeeling we're probably about the same age.
I used Carbon tetrachloride in various apps for cleaning everthing
from industrial electrical components to stripping optical coatings.
Most of the grades I used were flammable and yes very toxic.

???? It used to be used as a fire extinguisher. Don't take my word for it,
though -- check it out again to refresh your memory.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

It's hard to drive at the limit, but it's harder to know where the limits
are.
-- Stirling Moss

Asimov

"gothika" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Aug 04 00:01:48)
--- on the heady topic of " Safe to use WD40 as switch or potentiometer
cleaner?"

go From: gothika

go On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:29:52 GMT, Ken Weitzel
go wrote:

Woody wrote:

"Ken G." wrote in message

There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

The old favourite was carbon tetrachloride (if you can still get it) with a
drop if machine oil in it - usually one drop of 3-in-1 in a teaspoonful of
CTC.

Yikes! Scary scary stuff!

Carbon tet has been banned here since I was a
young fellow, and that was back about the time
they invented dirt Or dirty controls, anyway

Don't even think about buying it. And if you should
happen to have some, please get rid of it. Safely.
Call your hazardous waste folks.

Ken

go Geez Ken, there are some of us who can and do handle hazardous
go materials in our work every day.
go Carbon Tet is way down on the list of some of the hazardous materials
go I've used.
go Just avoid ignition devices around it and have plenty of ventilation
go to avoid breathing any of the fumes.
go Look up the MSDS on use and handling and you'll be fine.

I went to the car parts mart the other day looking for phosphoric acid
to pickle a bit of metal before painting and the clerk drone told me
they don't sell dangerous chemicals anymore because of environmental
rules, etc. So I turned around and went to the electric soldering
department and picked up a bottle of hydrochloric acid and showed it
to him. Some people...

A+s+i+m+o+v

.... Dunno if we'll get that past the CSA und UL 'owever.

Keith Willcocks

You reminded me that you can drastically extend the life of a worn out
ribbon on a dot matrix printer by opening the cassette and spraying the
ribbon with WD40. Sounds daft but works extremely well, a friend has
ribbons that have been sprayed 3 or 4 times and are years old and still
working.

--
Keith Willcocks
(remove .nospam from address to reply)

"mitch perkins" wrote in message
om...
"Richard Henry" wrote in message

Just this week I used WD-40 to lubricate the garden gate hinges and

sprayed
some on the cutters after pruning some shrubs.

Years ago in youthful ignorance I tried to clean a coffee spill out of a
computer keyboard with it. I eventually just got a new keyboard.

If you can manage to sneak a squirt of WD40 into your slot-car motor
just before a race, victory will be yours! Not, however, if the track
is full-living-room sized and the race is more than 15 laps. Also the
resulting aroma, while exceedingly pleasant, will give you away.
Make sure not to spill any on the rear wheels, or you're *done*.

Mitch

mitch perkins

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message ...

[...]

Really? Me? I had an old VCR that had an audio-dub feature. We would
tape Star Trek and The X Files and then dub in the most ridiculous
dialogue. Always something to do with hats or cheese or the captains
Bovril stash. Those two shows were perfect because the actors are so
*serious*.
Anyway, when it began to die, (the thing had a fake wood finish!), I
somehow got the idea to open the tape slot and - *spray everything
inside with alcohol*.
Punchline: it added at least a year to the life of a dear old
friend. (I think the alcohol "re-stickied" the belts.)
Moral: they don't make 'em like they used to.

Mitch
Double-A

[...]

I had a track-drive garage door opener that was sticking. I sprayed
it with WD40 and it worked like a charm to keep the thing operating
trouble free for a couple more months.

The plastic links in the track-drive suffered catastrophic failure,
probably due to exposure of the plastic to the solvent in WD40! Had
to replace the whole thing.

Some people use WD40 on their arthritic knees (well if it works on
hinges...). Fact is that the solvent in WD40 is DMSO, the same
substance once touted for its miraculous healing qualities. So yes,
WD40 can give at least temporary relief for the arthritic knee. But
one must consider the toxins in WD40 that are being absorbed into the
body along with the medicating solvent.

Not recommended. Your body might suffer a catastrophic failure just
like my garage door opener!

Double-A
Dave Platt

In article ,
Double-A wrote:

I had a track-drive garage door opener that was sticking. I sprayed
it with WD40 and it worked like a charm to keep the thing operating
trouble free for a couple more months.

The plastic links in the track-drive suffered catastrophic failure,
probably due to exposure of the plastic to the solvent in WD40! Had
to replace the whole thing.

Some people use WD40 on their arthritic knees (well if it works on
hinges...). Fact is that the solvent in WD40 is DMSO, the same
substance once touted for its miraculous healing qualities.

The Material Safety Data Sheet for WD-40 aerosol makes no mention of
DMSO. The hazardous ingredients listed are "aliphatic petroleum
distillates", "petroleum base oil", "LVP hydrocarbon fluid", and
carbon dioxide. Each of these ingredients is identified by a specific
CAS registry number, and none of the numbers match the CAS for
dimethyl sulfoxide (67-68-5).

I suspect that the idea that WD-40 contains DMSO is simply an urban
legend.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic shower
tub in my bathroom!
Spray it on, wait 30 seconds and clean it with wooden spatula or figernails
and paper towel.
Repeat on thicker patches.
Kind regards!
Tadeusz

jakdedert

"Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" wrote in message

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic shower
tub in my bathroom!
Spray it on, wait 30 seconds and clean it with wooden spatula or

figernails
and paper towel.
Repeat on thicker patches.
Kind regards!
Tadeusz

Another thin that WD is good for is removing tape and label adhesive
residue. I don't know why, but it works almost as well as stuff actually
made for the purpose.

jak

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:46:40 -0500, the renowned "jakdedert"
wrote:

"Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" wrote in message

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic shower
tub in my bathroom!
Spray it on, wait 30 seconds and clean it with wooden spatula or

figernails
and paper towel.
Repeat on thicker patches.
Kind regards!
Tadeusz

Another thin that WD is good for is removing tape and label adhesive
residue. I don't know why, but it works almost as well as stuff actually
made for the purpose.

jak

It's got a lot of solvent in it. I've got some strange orange oil
natural stuff that works fairly well and is allegedly less toxic. I
like the smell of WD40 better.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
gothika

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:46:40 -0500, "jakdedert"
wrote:

"Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" wrote in message

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic shower
tub in my bathroom!
Spray it on, wait 30 seconds and clean it with wooden spatula or

figernails
and paper towel.
Repeat on thicker patches.
Kind regards!
Tadeusz

Another thin that WD is good for is removing tape and label adhesive
residue. I don't know why, but it works almost as well as stuff actually
made for the purpose.

jak

Could be all that kerosene.(petroleum distillates.)

TMG

jakdedert wrote:

"Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" wrote in message

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic shower
tub in my bathroom!

Vinegar works better or as well. Acetic acid is one of the solvents in
most silicone caulks. And it doesn't leave an oily residue.
gothika

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:22:51 -0400, TMG wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

"Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" wrote in message

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic shower
tub in my bathroom!

Vinegar works better or as well. Acetic acid is one of the solvents in
most silicone caulks. And it doesn't leave an oily residue.

Acetic acid is good.
I use toulol or toulene based carbuerator cleaner.(It comes in a spray
can, also has acetone.)
It's a good silicone solvent and cleans just about anything off.
Good for removing paper labels and adhesive off of glass jars.
78 cents a can at Wal-Mart. Super Tech brand.
Also good for cleaning video and audio heads and tape guides,
rollers.(Just spray it on a swab and wipe, leaves no residue.)
Richard Henry

jakdedert wrote:

"Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" wrote in message

I have used WD40 to clean residue of silicone sealant from acrylic

shower
tub in my bathroom!

Vinegar works better or as well. Acetic acid is one of the solvents in
most silicone caulks. And it doesn't leave an oily residue.

Acetic acid is good.
I use toulol or toulene based carbuerator cleaner.(It comes in a spray
can, also has acetone.)
It's a good silicone solvent and cleans just about anything off.
Good for removing paper labels and adhesive off of glass jars.
78 cents a can at Wal-Mart. Super Tech brand.
Also good for cleaning video and audio heads and tape guides,
rollers.(Just spray it on a swab and wipe, leaves no residue.)

Don't breathe the vapors or get any on your skin. I guess it's ok to look
at it.