DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/651168-need-transistor-70s-zinger-color-organ.html)

[email protected] June 27th 20 01:06 AM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

Hello. The Zinger is a six light alternating and flashing unit. It could run either on with varied speeds or connected to a speaker wire or radio output to pulse with the music. I am trying to fix this bedraggled old thing .... I know, glutton for punishment. Anyhow, the transistor (which is quite toasted) is a Toshiba FIR3D41. I can find no info online about this part or what the replacement might be. Based on what it is supposed to do, are there any suggestions for a replacement? It is 120v and the model number is 528. Thanks for any info !

Jeff Liebermann June 27th 20 01:36 AM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:06:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Toshiba FIR3D41

https://m.bukalapak.com/p/elektronik/komponen-elektronik/7ospx4-jual-scr-fir-3d-fir3d
It would seem to be an SCR, triac, thyrsistor, or something similar.
The 41 looks like a date code or lot number. My guess is the real
part number is FIR3D.
https://www.bukalapak.com/products/s/scr-fir3d-fir
Looks like they're in Jakarta Indonesia. So, all you need to do is
find someone who speaks the language, create an account on:
https://www.bukalapak.com
and order the parts.

I've been looking for the data sheet on the FIR3D, but haven't found
anything because the phone keeps ringing.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Dave Platt[_2_] June 27th 20 01:49 AM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

In article ,
wrote:
Hello. The Zinger is a six light alternating and flashing unit. It could run either on with varied speeds or connected to a speaker wire or radio output to pulse with the music.
I am trying to fix this bedraggled old thing ... I know, glutton for punishment. Anyhow, the transistor (which is quite toasted) is a Toshiba FIR3D41. I can find no info online
about this part or what the replacement might be. Based on what it is supposed to do, are there any suggestions for a replacement? It is 120v and the model number is 528. Thanks
for any info !

I have a feeling that you will probably need to trace out the circuit
and draw a schematic, in order for anyone to figure out the actual
requirements.

I suspect that the FIR3D41 code might be either a house number, or a
manufacturing date code. I have little doubt that there are
compatible parts available today (probably an arm's-length list of
them) but without a schematic it's going to be really difficult to
select one.

Jeff Liebermann June 27th 20 02:36 AM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:06:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Toshiba FIR3D

Google translate works well enough in the Chrome browser to decode the
Indonesian. I dug through a mess of semiconductor logos and found the
"T" logo as possibly belonging to Toshiba. I don't believe it, but
that's what it claims:
https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_to_identify_integrated_circuit_(chip)_manufact urers_by_their_logos/P-T
Scroll down to the "T" near the bottom of the page.

The consensus seems to be that it's an SCR.
https://mufarielectronic.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/scr-fir3d/
https://www.tokopedia.com/d21r/scr-fir3d-thyristor-fir3d
https://salinsalim.wordpress.com/category/rancangbangun/

Looks like the real part number is "FIR 3D". When searching by part
number, wrap it quotes.

This might be something similar to your color organ called a "Disco
Lamp". It uses an FIR 3D SCR.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/wSrxp_Q_mSt7_CqPeIAkqe0Yn3TcqQY_CvGk3mxyQwkqZh9BnI yu6oM3eUpAHh7vRvZy7pPf86BOtMdnQICRiCXo7uqU_OOnlmhM B4DUI4mYz4mnxrErphlUD9aJdcp7fQ=s412

Ok, I give up. No data sheet.

Jeff Liebermann June 27th 20 02:45 AM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 18:36:10 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Ok, I give up. No data sheet.

One more "FIR 3D" SCR, also in Indonesia:
https://indo-ware.com/produk-2968-fir3d.html
The page has fields for the specs, but no numbers are supplied. I get
the feeling that nobody knows the specs.

Chuck[_39_] June 27th 20 05:20 PM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:06:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hello. The Zinger is a six light alternating and flashing unit. It could run either on with varied speeds or connected to a speaker wire or radio output to pulse with the music. I am trying to fix this bedraggled old thing ... I know, glutton for punishment. Anyhow, the transistor (which is quite toasted) is a Toshiba FIR3D41. I can find no info online about this part or what the replacement might be. Based on what it is supposed to do, are there any suggestions for a replacement? It is 120v and the model number is 528. Thanks for any info !

NTE5455 should be suitable.

legg June 28th 20 06:33 AM

Need a transistor for a '70s Zinger Color Organ

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:06:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hello. The Zinger is a six light alternating and flashing unit. It could run either on with varied speeds or connected to a speaker wire or radio output to pulse with the music. I am trying to fix this bedraggled old thing ... I know, glutton for punishment. Anyhow, the transistor (which is quite toasted) is a Toshiba FIR3D41. I can find no info online about this part or what the replacement might be. Based on what it is supposed to do, are there any suggestions for a replacement? It is 120v and the model number is 528. Thanks for any info !

Toshiba made an SF1R3D41 - Note '1' , not 'I'.

200V 2A SCR in TO202AB package ('R') - anode center pin

It has a normal (not sensitive) gate ~ 10mA.

"D" is the voltage. (B=100V, G=400V)

This from a xref published in Singapore in 1990 - the
only reference I could find, and I've got the Toshiba
catalog (where there's no mention of it).

Light 'chasers' were popular in the 70's, along with Disco . . .

You could use a Teccor S2006F1 through S6006F1 (200V -600V)
to replace it. Only the physical package is ~ uncommon.
Most TO220 types would function, if they could fit.

RL