Posted to sci.electronics.repair,de.sci.electronics

Default router command line reboot

my wifi router locks up a lot
physically removing power for a few seconds works every time
when it locks up I can't log into it with a browser over wifi
after a physical reboot I can log into it with a browser over wifi
just wondering if there is a way to reboot a router from the command line
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,de.sci.electronics

On 2020-05-14 16:41, jeff wrote:
my wifi router locks up a lot
physically removing power for a few seconds works every time
when it locks up I can't log into it with a browser over wifi
after a physical reboot I can log into it with a browser over wifi
just wondering if there is a way to reboot a router from the command line

Does it have an ssh server?

Used routers are cheap like borscht. You could get one off eBay or
someplace for very short money and reflash it with OpenWRT, for instance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,de.sci.electronics

On Thu, 14 May 2020 22:41:45 +0200, jeff wrote:

my wifi router locks up a lot
physically removing power for a few seconds works every time
when it locks up I can't log into it with a browser over wifi
after a physical reboot I can log into it with a browser over wifi
just wondering if there is a way to reboot a router from the command line

Could you provide the manufacturer, model number, and firmware
version? Not all wireless routers are made the same.

I've seen lockup problems from:
1. Bad firmware.
2. Overheating.
https://www.google.com/search?q=asus+rt-n66u+overheating
3. Bulding and leaking electrolytic capacitors.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Netgear%20DSA-12R-12.html
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Motorola-2210-02-PS.html
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Motorola%202210-02-1002.html
4. Defective power supplies:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/2Wire-power-supplies.html
5. DoS (denial of service) attacks from the LAN side.

CLI (command line interface) instructions vary from router to router.
For example, the command on a Sonicwall is simply "restart". On
Ubiquiti, it's "reboot now". For some Cisco, it's "reload". As I
mentioned, it would help if you provided the maker and model number of
your wireless router.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 1:41:50 PM UTC-7, jeff wrote:
my wifi router locks up a lot

In addition to Jeff Lieberman's list, look up the router and find out if there's a firmware update.
That smooths out a LOT of wrinkles (and might unload a few types of malware, as well).