DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Level 1 Charger Plug (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/648962-level-1-charger-plug.html)

Klay Anderson[_2_] May 7th 20 04:51 PM

Level 1 Charger Plug

So in my attempt to update the male Edison on my USA Subaru Level 1 car charger, I discovered two things. The encapsulating rubber is the worst pain to remove and there are five wires not just three. In addition to the usual line, neutral, and earth, there are pink and purple wires. Just hooking up the 3 power leads the charger works fine but the LEDs on the charger flash a lot and I've not a guide to what they all mean. I'm thinking that the "Jet" brand plug might be a GFCI but it is so sealed and sonically welded that even if I opened it up, it's probably potted inside. Does anyone have experience or psychic insight to the pink and purple connections; possibly a replacement plug source? Photo shorturl.at/azCFU Thank you.

[email protected] May 7th 20 07:30 PM

Level 1 Charger Plug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

You will find all that you need to know here. There are internal links, so you will have to work some to find everything. But it is there.

The internet is your friend!

Next Question: Why?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Klay Anderson[_2_] May 8th 20 09:57 PM

Level 1 Charger Plug

On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-6, wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

You will find all that you need to know here. There are internal links, so you will have to work some to find everything. But it is there.

The internet is your friend!

Next Question: Why?

Thank you. While a great deal of good information, it does not address portable chargers (like mine that run off of a 120VAC outlet. Were you able to see the photo I linked to?

[email protected] May 8th 20 10:18 PM

Level 1 Charger Plug

I was not able to see your photo - I got the generic hosting site only. But, that site I linked did include the schematic for the Subaru charger, which is very nearly the same as for my Ford C-Max charger. And my C-Max charger is also running off a 120 VAC outlet, and uses the same plug. You do have to work for it, however.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Andy Burns[_13_] May 9th 20 06:57 AM

Level 1 Charger Plug

Klay Anderson wrote:

Level 1 car charger

You could do worse than look at car charger videos on the Mike's
Electric Stuff channel on youtube.

Photo shorturl.at/azCFU

doesn't work