Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Multi-Section Capacitor "Empties"

This has probably been asked-and-answered before, but:

I am looking for multi-section "empties" - that would be the can and the phenolic wafer - so I can stuff them myself without the cutting-and-gutting otherwise necessary.

Anyone aware of a source?

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mikek:

I am looking for the can and phenolic wafer to stuff my own multi-section electrolytic caps.

Thanks!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi there,

I recently came across these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-secti...B/193267945734

on e-Bay and ordered a few that have not arrived yet. In my case I've
got a 4 section cap: 330-100-100-100 all at 75 volts, Oh, and the case
is POSITIVE as it is for the bias supply in the amp.

Both my customer and I are OK with the look of it, and soon I'll see if
it works. I like that they have the option of grounding to the chassis
or not.

Best regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

On 5/5/2020 7:25 AM, wrote:
Mikek:

I am looking for the can and phenolic wafer to stuff my own multi-section electrolytic caps.

Thanks!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 8:35:59 AM UTC-4, Tim Schwartz wrote:
Hi there,

I recently came across these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-secti...B/193267945734

on e-Bay and ordered a few that have not arrived yet. In my case I've
got a 4 section cap: 330-100-100-100 all at 75 volts, Oh, and the case
is POSITIVE as it is for the bias supply in the amp.

Both my customer and I are OK with the look of it, and soon I'll see if
it works. I like that they have the option of grounding to the chassis
or not.

Best regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Those are handy, but don't provide the "look" of the original can.

I restuff all the can electros I run across - not for originality as much as for maintaining the original layout. Some folks leave the cans in place, disconnect the wiring, and add terminals to the bottom. This takes up a lot of room.

I restored a 1951 Andrea TV a few months ago and restuffed all the cans. I believe there were 7, maybe 8. Adding terminal strips and two to four more caps to replace each can would have been a nightmare to the guy in 50 years who wants to repair or restore this TV again. Since this model was covered by Sams, the bottom of the Andrea still looks like the photofact pics.

If I had to, I'd use the wafer you linked and try to use a plastic or cardboard tube over the caps just to make them look at least a little vintage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitors?filters=Type=Multi-Section%20/%20Can%20Type&sort=price_low_to_high&page=

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I am looking for the can and phenolic wafer to stuff my own multi-section electrolytic caps.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitors?filters=Type=Multi-Section%20/%20Can%20Type&sort=price_low_to_high&page=

I didn't have any luck finding aluminum cans or shells. The first few
photos might be worth following:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+electrolytic+capacitor+shell+can &tbm=isch
The sources seem to be only in China or India and only sell in large
quantities. The few capacitor rebuilds I've done were all in the
original can. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 7:26:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Mikek:

I am looking for the can and phenolic wafer to stuff my own multi-section electrolytic caps.

Thanks!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

If you're not trying to exactly duplicate an original can, you can always use 1.25" PVC pipe which will be just a wee larger OD than the original standard size can. Cut it to fit, place it on end over wax paper, fill will *long* set epoxy to form a cap at the end, then sand and paint a flat silver.

Hot glue or fast epoxy the PVC "can" down over the new caps on the wafer linked elsewhere in this thread. It won't look exactly like the original can but it will be better than using exposed modern electros on the new wafer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 3:23:41 PM UTC-4, Peter wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 12:51:07 PM UTC-4, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter wrote:

that would be the can and the phenolic wafer

are you going into production of fake capacitors :-P

http://www.1000uf.com/ipaware/img/fake%20capacitor.jpg

Uh, no. I am hoping to find a simple kit to do a passable replacement. Failing that, I will simply purchase the mounting plates and leave the individual caps exposed. Thanks, all for the various pointers. I have found the usual suspects on my own, and I do own a large tubing cutter, and so forth. But, I was hoping that someone out there made 'empties' as a kit.

Thanks again!

How about these cans?

https://catalog.zerocases.com/item/d...n-cans/zmc-137
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter wrote:

that would be the can and the phenolic wafer

are you going into production of fake capacitors :-P

http://www.1000uf.com/ipaware/img/fake%20capacitor.jpg

Uh, no. I am hoping to find a simple kit to do a passable replacement. Failing that, I will simply purchase the mounting plates and leave the individual caps exposed. Thanks, all for the various pointers. I have found the usual suspects on my own, and I do own a large tubing cutter, and so forth.. But, I was hoping that someone out there made 'empties' as a kit.

Thanks again!

How about these cans?

https://catalog.zerocases.com/item/d...n-cans/zmc-137

Looks like 2.1" is the highest they get. Not a lot of room for multi section requirements, and they're probably expensive unless you order 1K or more..

I kind of like my idea of using schedule 40 PVC. Cut to any height, easy to shape or round off the edges, spray with flat gray or dark silver, hot glue over new caps - done. Cheap and easy.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/6/2020 2:39 PM, John-Del wrote:
I kind of like my idea of using schedule 40 PVC. ...

I would lighter weight PVC - schedule 40 is kinda clunky in this use.
PVC sink tail pieces (1-1/4 or 1-1/2").