Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default New solar panel on nerdiest gadget of all time

About 25 years ago I bought a baseballs hat with a solar panel on the top which drove a fan motor. It looked terrible and never moved enough air onto the user's forehead to actually do anything. After a while I got the impression that the panel was no longer giving out ANY power.

I wonder if it might be possible to replace the 25 year old solar panel with a more modern one which actually works?

Possibly a flexible panel which goes round the head a bit? What values should I try looking for? Or am I kidding myself that I might get this thing to work? Is that why no one has tried putting these things back into production?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 4:56:47 PM UTC-5, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
About 25 years ago I bought a baseballs hat with a solar panel on the top which drove a fan motor. It looked terrible and never moved enough air onto the user's forehead to actually do anything. After a while I got the impression that the panel was no longer giving out ANY power.

I wonder if it might be possible to replace the 25 year old solar panel with a more modern one which actually works?

Possibly a flexible panel which goes round the head a bit? What values should I try looking for? Or am I kidding myself that I might get this thing to work? Is that why no one has tried putting these things back into production?

Solar cell efficiency certainly has improved, but not enough (in the cells available to you) to make any difference in that gimmicky hat.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

So, even after 25 years of solar panel development, the most i can expect (if I replace that el-cheapo rectangular panel at the top) is to restore it to its former lousy operational state?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 8:06:08 AM UTC-7, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
So, even after 25 years of solar panel development, the most i can expect
(if I replace that el-cheapo rectangular panel at the top) is to restore it
to its former lousy operational state?

Are you sure the problem is a wimpy solar panel? Does the fan blow adequately if you power it from batteries? If you look on ebay, you can find lots of sellers of solar cells, fans, and caps, both separately and combined.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 27 March 2020 21:56:47 UTC, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
About 25 years ago I bought a baseballs hat with a solar panel on the top which drove a fan motor. It looked terrible and never moved enough air onto the user's forehead to actually do anything. After a while I got the impression that the panel was no longer giving out ANY power.

I wonder if it might be possible to replace the 25 year old solar panel with a more modern one which actually works?

Possibly a flexible panel which goes round the head a bit? What values should I try looking for? Or am I kidding myself that I might get this thing to work? Is that why no one has tried putting these things back into production?

Monocrystalline panels are more efficient than polycrystalline. Motor efficiency & power consumption also varies. You could spend on it if you want, but not wearing the hat would move more air.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

but not wearing the hat would move more air.

NT

Yes, I suppose there's lateral stinking for you but I like the peak keeping the sun out of my eyes.

In the event that I do rebuild it, I should therefore address the general question of filling in that hole in the centre of the peak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/28/20 6:08 PM, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
In the event that I do rebuild it

You might consider a battery holder instead of a solar cell.
"Function over form."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The battery cover is a better idea if the panel cant be replaced and properly hidden in some curve or other.

It is probably why there is a still imperfect newer version of my hat, but with two tiny solar panels on either side of the fan, which weighs the peak down so's you cant actually wear the thing!