Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Distiibution amplifier vs. ????

I think I need a new amplifier for the signal from my DVDR output to
various tv's, but I forget what that thing is called. ???

When I look up distribution amplifier, they seem to be from the antenna
to the TV, and aren't those different frequencies.

The 110volt amp is still a little warm, but I suppose after 35 years of
use without interruption, it could have failed. It's mark is Archer,
which was Radio Shack, but I know the very same thing was sold under
other brands.

Am I better off with 110vac or with one that uses a 12v wall wart?

TIA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wired? Those would be HDMI extenders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNP1MmtfpqU

Wireless? Same name, but a bit more expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdpewy7-QQ4

I am linking to You-Tube rather than specific hardware as I am not quite sure what you actually want.

Writing entirely for myself, I would lean towards something driven by a wall-wart as it removes the complexity of a power-supply (and the associated heat) from the actual system.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:
I think I need a new amplifier for the signal from my DVDR output to
various tv's, but I forget what that thing is called. ???

When I look up distribution amplifier, they seem to be from the antenna
to the TV, and aren't those different frequencies.

It would help us a lot to answer your question accurately, if you
actually described what sort of signal you are distributing to the
TVs. There are at least 3:

(1) Composite video, plus audio (typically two or three 75-ohm coax
cables ending in RCA plugs... video is yellow, audio is typically red
and black).

(2) S-Video, plus audio (similar to the above, but the video signal is
multiple wires in a cable that ends in a DIN connector).

(3) "RF modulated", where the signal goes into the remote TVs' antenna
inputs, and the TVs are tuned to challen 3 or 4 (typically).

(4) HDMI (digital).

For (1) you would want a "composite video and stereo audio"
distribution amplifier (Markertek has the CE Labs AV400, which will
feed up to 4 TVs). For (2) you'd want a similar device with S-Video
rather than composite (I don't have a specific one to recommend). For
(3) an ordinary broadcast-TV distribution amplifier such as you've
already found should work, since in this case you _are_ distributing
TV signals. For (4) you would need an HDMI distribution router (which
isn't just an amplifier).

The 110volt amp is still a little warm, but I suppose after 35 years of
use without interruption, it could have failed. It's mark is Archer,
which was Radio Shack, but I know the very same thing was sold under
other brands.

After that many years, it would not be surprising if some of the
filter capacitors have dried out and failed. It might be repairable,
but unless you are trained and skilled in such it might be
uneconomical.

Am I better off with 110vac or with one that uses a 12v wall wart?

In cases like this I think a wall-wart system might give better
reliability, because it keeps the heat from the power supply out of
the amplifier enclosure.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 20:58:27 UTC, Dave Platt wrote:

It would help us a lot to answer your question accurately, if you
actually described what sort of signal you are distributing to the
TVs. There are at least 3:

why do so many questions omit the basic essential information?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/02/2020 19:44, micky wrote:
I think I need a new amplifier for the signal from my DVDR output to
various tv's, but I forget what that thing is called. ???

When I look up distribution amplifier, they seem to be from the antenna
to the TV, and aren't those different frequencies.

The 110volt amp is still a little warm, but I suppose after 35 years of
use without interruption, it could have failed. It's mark is Archer,
which was Radio Shack, but I know the very same thing was sold under
other brands.

Am I better off with 110vac or with one that uses a 12v wall wart?

TIA

Hi Micky,

I'm going to guess given the age, that this is RF distribution at either
channel 3 or 4 (US), so yes you are looking at a antenna distribution amp.

Way back then too, the power supply would have been a transformer, and
supplying not much current would have helped it's longevity.

However, if all of your TVs are now digital, there are much better ways
of distributing content.

HDHomeRun for one.
https://www.silicondust.com/

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 February 2020 20:58:27 UTC, Dave Platt wrote:

It would help us a lot to answer your question accurately, if you
actually described what sort of signal you are distributing to the
TVs. There are at least 3:

why do so many questions omit the basic essential information?

An overly optimistic expectation about the efficiency of telepathy,
clairvoyance, and the hackability of home security cameras? :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 23:12:22 +0000, Adrian
Caspersz wrote:

On 11/02/2020 19:44, micky wrote:
I think I need a new amplifier for the signal from my DVDR output to
various tv's, but I forget what that thing is called. ???

When I look up distribution amplifier, they seem to be from the antenna
to the TV, and aren't those different frequencies.

The 110volt amp is still a little warm, but I suppose after 35 years of
use without interruption, it could have failed. It's mark is Archer,
which was Radio Shack, but I know the very same thing was sold under
other brands.

Am I better off with 110vac or with one that uses a 12v wall wart?

TIA

Hi Micky,

I'm going to guess given the age, that this is RF distribution at either
channel 3 or 4 (US),

Yes, you're right.

Sorry, Dave, eiither I forgot how many other ways there were, or I
incorrectly assumed that only your method 3, RF modulated, would involve
anything like a distribution amp.

so yes you are looking at a antenna distribution amp.

I set this up when the PCJr as the go to computer, and I had no internet
and I don't know how I decided what to buy.

So later I thought there were different amps for the antenna versus the
between the VCR and the remote tvs. But I guess I jumped to the wrong
conclusion.

Way back then too, the power supply would have been a transformer, and
supplying not much current would have helped it's longevity.

However, if all of your TVs are now digital, there are much better ways

None of them are digital. I was thinking of getting one, but I have no
room for a large screen. 22" is about all I have room for or a little
bigger. That woudl still leave 3 rooms with analog, whose signal is
provided by the DVDRhd, which has a digital tuner. (I use powermids to
control the dvdr from other rooms.)

of distributing content.

HDHomeRun for one.
https://www.silicondust.com/

That looks pretty good. I wish I'd put ethernet in all the rooms when I
put in the coax, but I guess I could use wifi if I had a tv that could
accept that. Maybe later. I may be getting a 50-year roof so I'll have
to live her 50 more years to get my money's worth.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 12:58:18 -0800,
(Dave Platt) wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Also replied to in my othe reply.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 00:20:25 UTC, Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

why do so many questions omit the basic essential information?

An overly optimistic expectation about the efficiency of telepathy,
clairvoyance, and the hackability of home security cameras? :-)

It seems to go even furhter than that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

tabbypurr wrote:

why do so many questions omit the basic essential information?

An overly optimistic expectation about the efficiency of telepathy,
clairvoyance, and the hackability of home security cameras? :-)

It seems to go even furhter than that.

The guy is asking a question because he doesn't have a good
understanding of what he is doing doesn't surprise me that he doesn't
provide information he doesn't have a lot of knowledge about.
If you need to provide info about the multiple types of signals
that could be used, that is evidence he doesn't know what info he needs
to provide.
Why not just ask for what you need rather than complain.
I guess I'm just mellowing as I age.
On the other hand, I have my days.

Mikek

I know. I just gripe a little because 99% of questions are the same way, and a lot never provide the relevant info.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You need to post what you have.

If it's from yesteryear, I suppose it;s a channel 3/4 combiner possibly with an RF amplifier.

It used to be really easy to take the output of a VCR run it to one of these and combine ATSC RF channel 4 with the TV feed not containing channel 4 and just select it on your TV. It was like $20.00 USD or less.

To handle other devices, you used an RF modulator to take composite video and convert to NTSC channel 3 or 4.

Now it's way harder and way more expensive to convert to ATSC. levels will be lower, but there would be better immunity to dropouts.

ATSC 3.0 which is coming soon will make everything that you do obsolete anyway.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:46:44 -0800 (PST),
"Ron D." wrote:

You need to post what you have.

If it's from yesteryear, I suppose it;s a channel 3/4 combiner possibly with an RF amplifier.

It used to be really easy to take the output of a VCR run it to one of these and combine ATSC RF channel 4 with the TV feed not containing channel 4 and just select it on your TV. It was like $20.00 USD or less.

To handle other devices, you used an RF modulator to take composite video and convert to NTSC channel 3 or 4.

Now it's way harder and way more expensive to convert to ATSC. levels will be lower, but there would be better immunity to dropouts.

ATSC 3.0 which is coming soon will make everything that you do obsolete anyway.

Only my DVDR tuner is digital. The output is analog, so I'm using Ch. 3
everywhere.

Thanks all. I started another sort-of related thread.