Old February 10th 20, 01:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to Test a Relay

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 03:09:49 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 10 February 2020 00:31:52 UTC, Adam wrote:
My car's blower motor relay may be bad (or the cause of noisy fan). So
I found the following video...

How to Test a Relay the Correct Way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ire7vyDqelg

However, I don't have a cordless drill battery (used in the video).
Will the following battery charger...

UPG D1724 Sealed Lead Acid Battery Charger (6V/12V Switchable Single-
Stage With Alligator Clips)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c_act_title_1?
smid=A10QFO4IXVZNRN&psc=1

work ? Other frugal ideas ?

Nearly all relay failures are switching points gone high resistance. So
test that. To power the coil... you have a car battery right?

Yes, I'll probably use the car battery. Hopefully, no shock.

Old February 10th 20, 04:38 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Late in on this:

a) The only way a relay could affect fan noise would be if it is chattering - thereby causing the fan to chatter. Brush-type DC motors are generally not fond of low-frequency intermittent voltage.

b) And, if an automotive relay is in any way questionable - replace it outright. The alternative might be a 3:00 am breakdown during a blinding snowstorm. To this end, I know a number of individuals (including me) that carry spare relays for critical functions when on road-trips or off the beaten path. And, I know where those of that nature live in both vehicles.

There is frugal - spending money wisely.
There is parsimonious - which is frugality taken to the extreme.
There is being miserly - which has high potential for negative consequences..

Be frugal, and/but try not to be stupid about it.

My road-trip "Spares Kit" includes: Fuel Pump, Headlight, and Main Systems relays. High and Low beam, turn-signal and brake lamps, if applicable. Fuses. Black electricians tape. Good gloves. Very, very good Jumper cables. Flat-fix x 2. Canvas tarp.

Come to kindly terms with your Ass, for it bears you - John Muir.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA