Old January 28th 20, 08:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

On 26/01/2020 02:52, J-J wrote:
Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor.* The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel.* Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t=73

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast.* How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance?* In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken.* Thanks.

The capacitor is here to correct the power factor of the ballast.
For a test it is not necessary.
For a 125W lamp it is an 8 µF.
I used one of those lamps for lighting in the early ages of
amateur video.
It took several minutes to reach normal brightness.
Today with LED they are useless.
Even with their envelope intact those lamps are not designed to
be looked at at close range .
Use of sun glasses is a good idea.

Old January 29th 20, 02:09 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 19:32:51 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:16:04 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer.

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone.. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects.

snip

Ozone is a toxic gas with vastly different chemical and toxicological properties from oxygen. Several federal agencies have established health standards or recommendations to limit human exposure to ozone. These exposure limits are summarized in Table 1.

snip

That is "iffy"?

It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag, where a useful substance (water) is described as if it were a terrible killer that should be eradicated. It's like saying floods kill people in India every decade so we should not have tap water. It relies on the reader's lack of knowledge of the subject..

You are, truly, a 'piece of work'.

I think that says more about you than me.

NT
Old January 29th 20, 01:29 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff:

I have come to the conclusion that no reasonable person should stand in the way of any individual whose heart is set on earning a Darwin Award.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 30th 20, 09:28 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 29 January 2020 01:52:27 UTC, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/28/20 7:09 PM, tabbypurr wrote:

It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag,

But we're not talking about dihydrogen monoxide.
We're talking about ozone which does indeed have serious
health effects.
When I was a kid growing up in Los Angeles in the late '50s
and early '60s, we'd have "ozone days".
School was canceled. It hurt to take deep breath.

At the risk of stating the obvious, everything is toxic in excess.

Peter is right, you are piece of work.
You consistently ignore facts and continue to argue.

on the contrary, until facts are established I'm likely to have more knowledge re ozone than you. Too many folk are naive about medical info.

NT