Old January 24th 20, 10:03 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Neighbor having ISP speed problems.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 07:35:55 -0600, amdx wrote:

My neighbor recently cut the cable. I helped him put up an antenna, and
reconnect things in the box on the outside of the house. Antenna goes to
the TV and cable goes to the Modem/router.
Up until 1 month ago he had 200 MBPs, he did a speed test and was
only getting 67 MBPs. They came out and replaced the cable from the road
to the house and got the 200MBPs.
When he cut the cable,he changed his speed to 100 MBPs. His NetFlix
was buffering so I checked his speed, it is around 40 MBPs.
We got the cable guy out and he checked signal at the road, Good,
he checked the signal just before it enters the house, Good.
The he ran a test that looked like a spectrum analyzer display.
He drove the cable going into the house connected to the Modem/router.
He said he was looking for noise. The cable guy didn't have a high
understanding, he just knew if it had a signal over a certain amount
that was to much noise. The test showed a peak at 300MHz of -40 unknown
label. But he said, nothing to worry about.
I'm not sure what this test was, unless is is just a spectrum analyzer
looking at noise on a coax going into the house.

If that is so, where would a 300MHz signal originate in the house?

The coax was connected to the Modem/router on one end and the spectrum
analyzer? on the other end. Could the Modem/router generate a 300MHz signal?

The last test was testing the speed at the end of the cable where it
would go into the router, Good.

Cable guy left without fixing anything, said the signal strength
should read -9 to +10, and it was 9.1. I ask if that could overload
the input of the modem and cause it to be slow. He just kinda shrugged
and said he wasn't sure.

Would overloading the input of a modem cause it be slow?

Cable guy did suggest he try a new modem.

I'm going to try a few things before he spends his money.
Mikek

You use words oddly. Please get someone to redo your post.

Old January 24th 20, 10:07 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 16:11:41 -0600, amdx wrote:

Now, I have cut the cord and have nice system for my antenna, and a
separate coax to my modem.

That makes no sense.
Old January 24th 20, 02:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/24/2020 3:07 AM, Lucifer wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 16:11:41 -0600, amdx wrote:

Now, I have cut the cord and have nice system for my antenna, and a
separate coax to my modem.

That makes no sense.

You snipped the context.
5 new coax cables were run from the outside through the attic to F
connectors in my house. When I cut the cable, I repurposed 4 of these
coax cables for use with my antenna. The fifth coax I connected to the
cable and it runs to my modem for my internet service.

Mikek
Old January 24th 20, 03:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/24/2020 3:03 AM, Lucifer wrote:
[...]

If you want to pick out any particular lines I could probably help you.
If it's just the last few lines,

Would overloading the input of a modem cause it be slow?

The signal level going into the modem was right at the top of the
recommended high, so I want to know if overloading the modem will cause
it to run slow.

Cable guy did suggested he try a new modem.
I'm going to try a few things before he spends his money.

Rather than have my neighbor go out and spend his money on a new modem,
I want try a few things before he spends his money on a new modem.

Mikek
Old January 25th 20, 10:51 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 9:00:50 AM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
[...]

The usual setup is to use a selected tap from the cable TV drop to get the right level. The trough leg must be connected to a set top box, or a 75 ohm terminator. If it is, then see what the insertion loss is for the tap and get one 3dB higher. For instance, if it is marked 17, replace it with a 20. In a former life, I designed CATV systems

Old January 29th 20, 06:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know where I left off in this sad tale, but just an update.
Not sure I want any advice, because I don't have all the numbers!
I'm sure the order of some of the details are mixed up.

Neighbors has buffering on his 1 yr old Samsung 4K TV while watching
on NETFLIX.
First cable guy left after changing one barrel connector, he did many
speed tests and the best he got was 70MBPs, with a 100MPBs service. He
suggest the modem/router could be the problem.
Computer shows speeds of 5GBPs to 38GBPs. Cable guy blames slow speed
of the computer on the computer.

Neighbor bought a New Netgear C7000v2, and connected it, called the
cable company (Comcast) and they could net recognize the modem/router.
The called Netgear trying to resolve the problem and then after an hr
on the phone they hung up, we were on hold at the time.
Neighbor went and bought a second router with a separate modem.
He did manage to get that to work but it was also slow, even with a
ethernet connection.
New "highly experienced" cable guy comes. Though he spends about 3 hrs
at the house, and reboots everything and reinstalls any info needed in
to the original Modem/router "Netgear C7000" and the Samsung TV,
(UN65NU7100FXZA)
While testing with his phone he manages to get 100MBPs on a few
occasions, and much less (under 50) on many other occasions.
Speedtesting on the TV and the maximum he ever got was 32MBPs, and
many tests under that.

Also cable guy says call NetGear and have them combine 2.4 and 5GHZ
and the TV will work better. HUH!

Cable guys leaves, without, as far as I'm concerned fixing the problem.

OK even so, my neighbor calls Netgear to combine his 2.4 and 5GHz They
tell him the Netgear C7000 was made in 2016 and they will not cover
that, he can but a 1 yr service agreement for $138 or 2 yr for $220, he
gets ****ed and raises hell with them and they hang up. When he gets off
the phone, his internet is out. So he calls Netgear back, gets a new
person, explains it all and the rep turns his internet back on.
Now that really sucks.

Then the cable guy finds that on Samsung TV, 5GHZ is non functional
and says the problem is the wifi card is bad on his TV. Cable guy also
said that 2.4GHz wifi will not do 100GBPs, my info is 2.4GHz will work
at 450MBPS and even higher under best conditions.

Neighbor calls Sansung trying to get them to fix the 5GHz wifi and
they UNcombine the 2.4GHZ/5GHZ combine. That will fix your problem, We
do it all the time.

Now through all this, wife/girlfriend whats to rearrange the furniture.
So, we run a new coax to the corner where she wants the TV. Since the TV
router is in the back room we move the router out to the TV room where
almost all of the above tests were run.

The next step is to run one more cable from outside and end it an the
same box of the new cable just run. One will be internet and one will be
antenna. Now the modem/router will be next to the TV, and the TV will
have an ether net connection to the router/modem.

Update next week.

Mikek

Old January 31st 20, 01:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 12:08:07 PM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
I don't know where I left off in this sad tale, but just an update.
Not sure I want any advice, because I don't have all the numbers!
I'm sure the order of some of the details are mixed up.

Neighbors has buffering on his 1 yr old Samsung 4K TV while watching
on NETFLIX.
First cable guy left after changing one barrel connector, he did many
speed tests and the best he got was 70MBPs, with a 100MPBs service. He
suggest the modem/router could be the problem.
Computer shows speeds of 5GBPs to 38GBPs. Cable guy blames slow speed
of the computer on the computer.

Those packages are sold as 'Up to' speeds, not guaranteed speeds.

38 Gigabytes per second? REALLY?
Old January 31st 20, 05:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/30/2020 6:26 PM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 12:08:07 PM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
I don't know where I left off in this sad tale, but just an update.
Not sure I want any advice, because I don't have all the numbers!
I'm sure the order of some of the details are mixed up.

Neighbors has buffering on his 1 yr old Samsung 4K TV while watching
on NETFLIX.
First cable guy left after changing one barrel connector, he did many
speed tests and the best he got was 70MBPs, with a 100MPBs service. He
suggest the modem/router could be the problem.
Computer shows speeds of 5GBPs to 38GBPs. Cable guy blames slow speed
of the computer on the computer.

Those packages are sold as 'Up to' speeds, not guaranteed speeds.

38 Gigabytes per second? REALLY?

Error, ya that should have said 5MBPs and 38MBPs.

Mikek

ISP speed adjusting praticality Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 17 August 28th 18 12:36 PM
Other neighbor problems!!!!!!!!!!!! Matt Home Repair 29 June 24th 05 05:16 PM
OT - Wireless ISP Andy Asberry Metalworking 17 March 21st 05 05:02 PM
OT - ISP Eugene Woodworking 10 June 12th 04 05:59 PM
Oak end table drawer - wooden slides and M&T questions (Long) Repostdue to crazy ISP/net problem Bay Area Dave Woodworking 11 December 5th 03 03:01 AM