Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Refrigerator current load

On Friday, 28 February 2020 15:36:50 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:26:13 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet? Such a thing is unheard of here.

It is done to prevent another device from tripping the breaker, and letting food spoil. I suppose Botulism is unheard there, as well?

If we get a breaker trip, which doesn't happen often, people switch it back on, and if necessary plug the fridge freezer in somewhere else. It doesn't seem to be a significant issue. If you only had the fridge on the circuit it would take far longer to realise power was lost.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 28 February 2020 18:13:58 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby:

---------------------------

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet?
Such a thing is unheard of here.

** IME, it is common practice here ( Australia ) to put fridges and freezers on a dedicated circuit since they often have high levels of leakage to earth.

I'm not aware of ours suffering that. Why do they have alot of leakage?

That circuit would also not be under control on an ELCB or similar.

Otherwise, the ELCB needs to be set at an hazardous trip current to avoid outages and food spoilage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 28 February 2020 22:23:27 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:

No, it's because their refrigerators are made by Lucas!

Prince of Darkness, yes.

And he prefers to live in England, thank God!

Lucas electrics weren't the ultimate, but weren't too bad really. And it was a long time ago.

I've never heard of Lucas fridges.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

-------------------------

** IME, it is common practice here ( Australia ) to put fridges and freezers on a dedicated circuit since they often have high levels of leakage to earth.

I'm not aware of ours suffering that. Why do they have alot of leakage?

** Not answering hostile questions from ****heads like you.

FFS Google the topic.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 28 February 2020 15:36:50 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:26:13 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet? Such a thing is unheard of here.

It is done to prevent another device from tripping the breaker, and letting food spoil. I suppose Botulism is unheard there, as well?

If we get a breaker trip, which doesn't happen often, people switch it back on, and if necessary plug the fridge freezer in somewhere else. It doesn't seem to be a significant issue. If you only had the fridge on the circuit it would take far longer to realize power was lost.

If it trips with only the fridge or freezer on the circuit, resetting the breaker wouldn't do any good, if a few hundred Watt load is tripping a 20A breaker.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2020/02/28 5:20 p.m., Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 15:36:50 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:26:13 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet? Such a thing is unheard of here.

It is done to prevent another device from tripping the breaker, and letting food spoil. I suppose Botulism is unheard there, as well?

If we get a breaker trip, which doesn't happen often, people switch it back on, and if necessary plug the fridge freezer in somewhere else. It doesn't seem to be a significant issue. If you only had the fridge on the circuit it would take far longer to realize power was lost.

If it trips with only the fridge or freezer on the circuit, resetting the breaker wouldn't do any good, if a few hundred Watt load is tripping a 20A breaker.

Indeed, if the fridge trips the breaker then it is broken...shorted
motor or similar. Not going to work any better on another outlet!
Whereas sometimes you can pop a breaker and not realize it.

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...

John :-#)#
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 18:39:45 -0800, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

And don't overlook the fact that the breaker could be SNAFU.
They're not designed to be switched off and on again -- over and over.

Jonesy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...

Or you can make Pimpom's blackout alarm (link is still good):

S.E.D. 12/29/17
Pimpom wrote:
I made this little gadget for myself several years ago and have
been using it ever since. How quickly can you tell what it is and
how it works? No cheating! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99sfbr7fms...is_it.png?dl=0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 12:03:13 PM UTC-5, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

And don't overlook the fact that the breaker could be SNAFU.
They're not designed to be switched off and on again -- over and over.

Who does that to a fridge or freezer? I've only shut off one breaker to kill a fridge that had a damaged thermostat and was it icing over. It was my dad's house, and he was going to stay at my sister's so there was no reason to let the compressor run 24/7/365.25 days a rear. I need to haul it to the landfill for it can be sent for recycling.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2020/02/29 9:05 a.m., Tom Del Rosso wrote:
John Robertson wrote:

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...

Or you can make Pimpom's blackout alarm (link is still good):

How long can the piezo sound when powered by a 1000ufd cap? Perhaps a
small battery would be a good addition...

John :-#)#

S.E.D. 12/29/17
Pimpom wrote:
I made this little gadget for myself several years ago and have
been using it ever since. How quickly can you tell what it is and
how it works? No cheating! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99sfbr7fms...is_it.png?dl=0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lol @ hostile