Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default another vintage HV device finding challenge: LARGE plasma balls!

Ok, my previous post concerned the outlandish prices for some neat
looking HV devices originally from the late 90's: Luminglas discs. I
was successful finding several, and at good prices comparable to what I
would have paid in 2000 for some nice used ones. However.....

I have been on a new quest to try and find a large plasma ball. True,
they are all over the Internet, but the most common sizes seem to be 8"
diameter or less and I am looking for 12" diameter or more! However,
the price seems to increase maybe as much as 20 fold going from 8 to 12
inch size! I see some on eBay in 12" size for just under $200, but I'm
hoping to do better. Problem with the used ones I see is that the
sellers don't specify globe size and 99% most definitely are 8" or less
diameter.

Suggestions would be welcome. One thing I tried googling for was some
sort of a history on plasma globes with maybe larger ones from the past
mentioned. Other than Spencer's 12" Megavolt, that's all I could come
up with (and, incidentally, the person wants more for the Megavolt than
a new 12" one!).

Thank you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 11/24/19 4:42 PM, Branden wrote:
Ok, my previous post concerned the outlandish prices for some neat
looking HV devices originally from the late 90's: Luminglas discs.Â* I
was successful finding several, and at good prices comparable to what I
would have paid in 2000 for some nice used ones.Â* However.....

I have been on a new quest to try and find a large plasma ball.Â* True,
they are all over the Internet, but the most common sizes seem to be 8"
diameter or less and I am looking for 12" diameter or more!Â* However,
the price seems to increase maybe as much as 20 fold going from 8 to 12
inch size!Â* I see some on eBay in 12" size for just under $200, but I'm
hoping to do better.Â* Problem with the used ones I see is that the
sellers don't specify globe size and 99% most definitely are 8" or less
diameter.

Suggestions would be welcome.Â* One thing I tried googling for was some
sort of a history on plasma globes with maybe larger ones from the past
mentioned.Â* Other than Spencer's 12" Megavolt, that's all I could come
up with (and, incidentally, the person wants more for the Megavolt than
a new 12" one!).

Thank you.

The very large type you see in science museums and such are probably
custom jobs I don't think there's enough demand for globes of larger
size to make an industry of selling anything but one-offs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 11/24/19 5:31 PM, bitrex wrote:
On 11/24/19 4:42 PM, Branden wrote:
Ok, my previous post concerned the outlandish prices for some neat
looking HV devices originally from the late 90's: Luminglas discs.Â* I
was successful finding several, and at good prices comparable to what
I would have paid in 2000 for some nice used ones.Â* However.....

I have been on a new quest to try and find a large plasma ball.Â* True,
they are all over the Internet, but the most common sizes seem to be
8" diameter or less and I am looking for 12" diameter or more!
However, the price seems to increase maybe as much as 20 fold going
from 8 to 12 inch size!Â* I see some on eBay in 12" size for just under
$200, but I'm hoping to do better.Â* Problem with the used ones I see
is that the sellers don't specify globe size and 99% most definitely
are 8" or less diameter.

Suggestions would be welcome.Â* One thing I tried googling for was some
sort of a history on plasma globes with maybe larger ones from the
past mentioned.Â* Other than Spencer's 12" Megavolt, that's all I could
come up with (and, incidentally, the person wants more for the
Megavolt than a new 12" one!).

Thank you.

The very large type you see in science museums and such are probably
custom jobs I don't think there's enough demand for globes of larger
size to make an industry of selling anything but one-offs.

I'd perhaps talk to someone on the facility of a place like which has
one, might be able to at least find parts or who made theirs. I'd be
prepared to pay a few G at least for a two-foot diameter one or such....
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

bitrex wrote in
:

On 11/24/19 4:42 PM, Branden wrote:
Ok, my previous post concerned the outlandish prices for some
neat looking HV devices originally from the late 90's: Luminglas
discs.Â* I was successful finding several, and at good prices
comparable to what I would have paid in 2000 for some nice used
ones.Â* However.....

I have been on a new quest to try and find a large plasma ball.Â*
True, they are all over the Internet, but the most common sizes
seem to be 8" diameter or less and I am looking for 12" diameter
or more!Â* However, the price seems to increase maybe as much as
20 fold going from 8 to 12 inch size!Â* I see some on eBay in 12"
size for just under $200, but I'm hoping to do better.Â* Problem
with the used ones I see is that the sellers don't specify globe
size and 99% most definitely are 8" or less diameter.

Suggestions would be welcome.Â* One thing I tried googling for
was some sort of a history on plasma globes with maybe larger
ones from the past mentioned.Â* Other than Spencer's 12"

https://www.metalsphere.com/product/...m-half-sphere/